Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Extra Fluffy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Starting a Mama Cloth Stash (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488425)

Huxley 02-03-2013 05:14 PM

Starting a Mama Cloth Stash

Ive decided to finally jump in and use mama cloth. I've been thinking about it since I was a teen (I'm 22 now) and the timing feels right. I want to start a stash before my AF returns (my baby is ten months and eats like a champ, so I know it's coming)

What would you recommend for a beginner? I'd love to support other Mamas and their businesses. I have long periods (7-10 days) so I don't know if that means I'll need more pads.

Also, do you use a wetbag or a bucket?

I swear I've been researching, but I don't know how to start and what to buy.

Thanks in advance.

debcita429 02-03-2013 06:13 PM

Re: Starting a Mama Cloth Stash

With such a long period, I would personally buy fewer and wash in the middle of the period. If/when they wear out, you have an excuse to find some more cute stuff. However, if the nature of your flow is very different in the first half versus the second half, then you may want pads of different absorbencies and lengths that just cover every single day.

There are pros and cons to a lot of different brands, and there are plenty of brands I never got to try. I've written some of my extensive opinions on the other cloth pad threads on this forum. But allow me to suggest two things.

Some people hate them, and some people love them, but I would personally at least try a Party in My Pants flannel top (I really dislike cotton tops except for the lightest flows) for the sake of having a paper thin pad that you don't have to feel self-conscious about under any sort of clothing. I love that there is an option for those of us used to ultra-thin sposie pads, especially those of us who take really long pads. To the best of my understanding, no other brand has really even come close to matching their thinness. However, that company is run by young women, not moms. I guess they and the major companies like Gladrags are the only cloth pad businesses that are not WAHM run.

The brand that has overall proven to be my favorite (bearing in mind that there are a couple I've wanted but never got to try) is Go with the Flo, specifically their "Shaped" series. And she and her co-workers are WAHMs looking to train and employ women who have been caught in the cycle of sex trafficking as they continue to expand. In their regular series, I take a petite width (not something I would have guessed from my build). The Shaped series has a tapered absorbency system with a lot of flare (this flare may or may not be your thing but is the coverage I need). Due to the tapered absorbency system, it has the benefit of being thinner and floppier than their other series so that it is more adjustable to both regular and petite women. So it is the safest style to buy if you are not sure if you would be regular or petite. Go with the Flo is having a group co-op RIGHT NOW through 2/15. You have to like "Lilia Designs/Go with the Flo" on facebook in order to see the order forms and the tiered discounts (per group total ordered during this period) as they come in (up to 40% off). I also happen to have an unused minky shaped pad for sale in FSOT below b/c I really prefer the bamboo velour tops to the minky tops and b/c this sale came up as an opportunity for me to get more bamboo velour.

I drypail mine in a wetbag after spraying the bloodied areas with diluted Bac-Out, then soak with oxygen bleach right before the wash, and then wash. But there are many ways to do it.

debcita429 02-03-2013 06:25 PM

p.s.--There are some brands I might prefer to GWTF if only I liked their main topper material. If you want to try some minky, Pampered Mama is a nice way to go (unless you prefer your pads really wide, in which case there are some better--wider--options out there for you). And there are many etsy sellers (as well as PeaceLoveCycle on facebook) that mostly make really cute and rather thin cotton-topped pads. But those are just not a go for me. Btw, when it comes to width, bear in mind that the way cloth pads are built (thickness, flexibility, etc.) will not usually (I think) make your favorite disposables a neat comparison. If you are like me and used to use ultrathin disposables, then you really will be lacking a width comparison to almost any brand--as the cloth pads will, with the exception of Party in my Pants--fit nothing like ultrathins. Since there is trial and error involved, I would encourage you not to get too many at once but to get a handful, rotate them in one period to see how they really are for you, and make adjustments in what you are looking for from there.

dvrgrl38 02-03-2013 08:32 PM

Just wanted to mention there is a co-op here right now ending very soon for mother moon pads, a good opportunity to get a few pads to try at a discount.

debcita429 02-03-2013 08:37 PM

She needs at least 5 feedback transactions to be eligible for DS co-ops (I only have three and so am ineligible despite my extensive posting).

ckck 02-03-2013 08:55 PM

I am a go with the flow fan myself!! I do the 8 inch length mainly in reg absorbency. I have supers too, but I only used those for postpartum. I get a lot of use out of the 6 inch liners too. I only use fleece backed, because the wool backs slide for me lol

Corgi 02-04-2013 03:28 AM

My favorites are probably The Silver Liner and Yurtcraft, both are on etsy. My stash is way too big... I've tried most of the popular ones, most I like, and some I really don't.

Huxley 02-04-2013 10:02 AM

Thank you so much for all the help.

erinsuun 02-04-2013 11:10 AM

I love Mothermoon Pads & Pampered Mama! They are WAHM's on DS. OBV is my favorite with Minky a close second for there softness but I have some flannels that do the job even on my heavy days. I use a wet bag and store them in a fleece drawstring bag until I need them:giggle:

igotmywings 02-04-2013 05:03 PM

I am a fan of Mothermoon pads. You will use less MC then regular pads for sure though.