Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In April (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   c-sec questions (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488459)

RunawayBunny 02-03-2013 08:57 PM

c-sec questions

Ok ladies... I have some questions for you. My first regular OB appt since the formal placenta previa diagnosis is on Wed. I am going for a c-sec specific tour of my likely hospital on Tuesday. So I want to know some good questions to ask or things to pay attention to.

I guess my big question is who do I ask for requests? For example, I read some hospitals or OBs have "no picture" policy in the OR. Would that be an OB policy or hospital or both? I also read that some births the mom has free hands (or just one) so they can touch the baby. Wouldnt that kind of stuff be an OB decision?

I read that some women have the bath and other non-urgent baby care delayed until after recovery. Has anyone else done this kind of thing? I have read that for a vaginal birth all hospital people have to wear gloves until baby has a bath so maybe I dont want to delay that in case I want help latching the baby in recovery?

Any suggestions on policy questions I should ask- like "some hospitals do it differently so ask which way so you know" type questions? Or things you wish you knew to ask for or know about?

I hope you all don't think I am obsessing. I just feel like I have been given a gift, in a way, of knowing a CS is most likely because its letting me "prepare". I spent a long time learning about vaginal births and feel like I have been given time to do that now with this birth. Does that make sense? Thanks!

mibarra 02-03-2013 09:35 PM

Some will depend on you OB and the type of sedation (general vs. Epidural vs. Spinal block).

I would want to know:
Hospital policy on who can be in the room
Policy on pictures right after delivery
How long you will be stuck in bed
If you can hold baby/BF immediately
Type of pain meds/how long (pill vs IV)
When you transition from OR to a recovery room and if it's private
What will happen if something goes wrong for you or baby (baby to nursery, can baby stay with DH)
Visitors policy
Rooming in with baby policy
Policy on DH spending the night
Minimum hospital stay they would like

That's all I can think of. I would think about what you want, and phrase it like: Id like to hold and BF my baby as soon as possible after delivery, what's your policy? :)

canadianbakers 02-03-2013 09:44 PM

Re: c-sec questions

I guess my big question is who do I ask for requests?
I think you'd have to ask to find out who does what requests. If nothing else, I'd write up a birth plan and have copies for your OB (take one to an appt to go over with him) and the nurses/staff at the hospital.

For example, I read some hospitals or OBs have "no picture" policy in the OR. Would that be an OB policy or hospital or both?
Any c-sec I've ever heard about, there's never been a problem having a camera in the OR - they may not want dad standing up taking pics over the curtain, but it all depends on the dad I would think - understandably, they don't want dad seeing blood and passing out in there, kwim?

I also read that some births the mom has free hands (or just one) so they can touch the baby. Wouldnt that kind of stuff be an OB decision?
That would very likely be the anaethetist's call - they're the ones who have to deal with "that end" of things, and would have to deal with flailing arms or whatnot. With my csec, I had my arms free... until I was put under, then I have no clue.
Even if they want your arms tied during the delivery, chances are good they'd let you have them free right afterwards, when baby is there. The thing is, they don't want you touching or pulling down the curtain or freaking out or whatnot. But once baby is there, likely you'd be distracted enough cooing over baby that you wouldn't bother the curtain/sterile "zone".

I read that some women have the bath and other non-urgent baby care delayed until after recovery. Has anyone else done this kind of thing? I have read that for a vaginal birth all hospital people have to wear gloves until baby has a bath so maybe I dont want to delay that in case I want help latching the baby in recovery?
I would definitely want to have everything delayed until after I was back in my own room, then I'd want DH to do it with baby right by the bed - likely you wouldn't be feeling up to doing much, and certainly wouldn't be getting out of bed for a good many hours afterwards.
As for nursing/latching - if DH is there, he can touch baby all he wants and help you with that. And they could still help you even with gloves on - likely they'd all have gloves on constantly in the OR anyways, regardless of a bathed baby or not.

Any suggestions on policy questions I should ask- like "some hospitals do it differently so ask which way so you know" type questions? Or things you wish you knew to ask for or know about?
None that I can think of, just "what's your normal csec routine?" and then go from there.
Ooo, I would ask about their whole OR-recovery-own room way of doing things. I know in our hospital there are now 2 ORs on the mat floor specifically for csecs and multiples births - dad takes baby to mom's room after delivery, mom goes straight to her room asap for recovery. But prior to that, or if those rooms are in use, csecs are done in the regular ORs, dad takes baby to the NICU or to mom's room (if she has one all ready), but mom has to go to recovery for an hour after leaving the OR - and normally dad and baby aren't allowed into recovery, so you're away from baby from delivery to whenever you leave recovery. :( I hate that.
I talked to DH a TON about that before my csec, and he was adament with the staff that he was taking the baby down to see me in recovery as soon as I came to, whether they liked it or not. They quickly found a nurse to accompany him, lol.

I hope you all don't think I am obsessing. I just feel like I have been given a gift, in a way, of knowing a CS is most likely because its letting me "prepare". I spent a long time learning about vaginal births and feel like I have been given time to do that now with this birth. Does that make sense? Thanks!
Nope, not at all. I think it's great that you're trying to plan and prepare. You're making this birth the best it can be under the circumstances necessary. You're taking as much control as you can - and that's great! :)

EmilytheStrange 02-03-2013 09:47 PM

have you watched the video I posted in the pregnancy forum for mother-friendly cesareans? Amazing... I hope you can get one like that :)

http://banned-from-baby-showers.blog...ceci-jane.html

anyways.. as for the 'who to talk to', have you taken the hospital tour yet? There's usually a person there who can answer all those questions and make an appt to answer more if you want privacy. I like to talk to those people a little more than the OB, cause they're usually working with the nurses and actually know what the room policies and such are. Then, of course, you'd want to talk to the OB about the specifics of the procedure and if you can be awake and receive your baby right away.

Mom2Connor 02-04-2013 06:14 AM

Definitey ask.

We didn't know to ask about things like this ahead of time because it was an emergency c section. but pics were allowed, DH even took some while they were taking him out of me (yuck). I don't remember if my hands were tied, I think they were. They didn't bathe him until late that evening. I disn't go to "recovery," just back to the room right after surgery. DH and DS were with me the entire time. :)

UVASahm 02-04-2013 06:23 AM

All of those questions are definitely hospital specific. I had an emergency csection so I had no idea what was going to happen but this is how it went.

Went to the OR got the spinal and was laid on the table. Within 5 mins ds was out and being weighed and cleaned up. They brought him to me right after that. Again, this is my experience bc it was an emergency. I would be pretty shocked if they let you bf right then. There is a lot of clean up and sewing up that happens right after the birth that takes about a 1/2 hour depending. You have to be lying down the whole time but your hands are probably free. I was freaking out and in shock and my arms were still free.

So like I said, saw ds, my husband was allowed to take pics the whole time and took him down to the recovery room where they waited for me!! Then I got to bf for the first time. Actually a great experience all in all!

canadianbakers 02-04-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange (Post 16244632)
anyways.. as for the 'who to talk to', have you taken the hospital tour yet?

:yeahthat: I'm guessing the tour would be done by the same staff who run the prenatal classes, usually as part of those classes (not that you can't go just for the tour, we did when we first moved here!). But if it's done that way, whoever is conducting the tour will be able to steer you in the right direction.
You should get a bunch of info from them about their own policies and whatnot as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UVASahm (Post 16245250)
All of those questions are definitely hospital specific.

Yup, definitely.

foggierbard9 02-04-2013 08:17 AM

My csection wasn't planned, DD flipped breach after my water broke. They did tie my hands as that was policy, but they let DH take all the pictures he wanted, and even let us put on the cloth diaper in the OR. They untied one of my hands after she was out. DH was with DD the entire time no matter where she was. They kept her in the OR and then she was right into recovery with me. All 3 of us went up to my room afterwards and the nurses helped latch her on no problem. They didn't have any rule about them wearing gloves to touch her if she hadn't had a bath.

All in all it was not what I anticipated when I was heading into the OR for the csection, and I am grateful for how comfortable they made the procedure.

MrsCrafty 02-04-2013 08:34 AM

No advice, but great info for anyone just incase, I wouldn't have thought of most of these things :goodvibes:

dagmomma 02-04-2013 10:53 AM

I think all of the things pp adviced are great. I would also ask more about recovery. For example what things do they do to keep circulation flowing in the legs (VERY IMPORTANT!!). What is the timeline for you to get up and start walking, and how long is the catherter typically in?