Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Poor sick baby...C. Diff, please help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488468)

betsybikes 02-03-2013 08:45 PM

Poor sick baby...C. Diff, please help!

Just found out my 18 mo DD has C. Diff. Not sure what to do but it sounds serious.

From what research I've read, this is a reaction from broad spectrum antibiotics. They killed all the bacteria in the gut, leaving the C. Diff to flourish and take over. It is similar to a medical resistant staph, as in it is a "super bug"

Caution, the below might be TMI for some :greenbaby:

It started during Thanksgiving, when she picked up an ear infection while travelling and got antibiotics at the Urgent Care. She appeared to heal fine. Then in December she had a pesky yeast rash, but we seemed to nail it before Christmas. In early January, she starting having poo 'spolisions. Lots. Maybe like 4 or 5 really loose, stinky stools a day. I made the appointment for her well child for the end of the month and kept an eye on it. The poo waxed and waned, but starting having some mucous in it. But some days it seemed relatively normal.

This Wednesday was her well child check up. On Tuesday, she got a moderate fever from a bug that was going around her small home daycare. So we kept her home on Wednesday, and didnt take her to the doctor b/c she wasn't going to be able to get shots, and my husband convinced me it wasnt so bad. :blush: Got her in on Friday, turned in stool sample on Saturday and found out today it is C.Diff.

So has anyone else gone through this??? What now??

Doctor is prescribing new anti-biotic to target the bad bugs and I can pick it up tomorrow morning. He wants to see her on Wednesday to check in. If she is not responding to the antibiotics, he wants to check her in to the hospital.

I have been giving her lots of pro-biotics, tons of fluids, and fever relievers. I've restricted fruits, and leaned towards a BRAT diet. She was amost weaned, but now has gone back to nursing like a new born. I am not fighting it, because at least I know she is getting fluids and nutrition. I have been taking pro-biotics myself and trying to get lots of vitamins.

Oh yeah, after we left the doctor on Friday, she developed hives on the back of her legs, and then a raspy cough that has been getting worse. Her fever has been going up and down all weekend.

Poor baby, feel really bad for her, know she is in lots of discomfort because she is really fussy. Really just scared out of my mind for my baby girl. Prayers welcomed. :goodvibes:

Anybody else been through this, or know anyone that has? Or had any experience with MRSA? Or any other tummy ailments? Not really sure what to do diet wise to make sure she is eating foods that will help her heal. Where to you typically get the highest quality affordable pro-biotics? I bought some kids culterelle at the store, and am trying to give her the highest dose.

Going to try and work from home most of the week. Don't want her picking up anything more from day care and want her to rest and heal. Really grateful to have a work environment where this is possible.

PoshPants 02-03-2013 08:56 PM

Re: Poor sick baby...C. Diff, please help!

Hives would mean an allergic reaction! you need to see a doctor!

PoshPants 02-03-2013 08:56 PM

and she can't go to daycare like that, no way! I do hope she feels better soon, sounds scary

luvsviola 02-03-2013 09:00 PM

DS has had it twice. You have to bleach everything, as Clorox wipes won't kill it. He got it inpatient at the children's hospital. We do the antibiotics (I forget what he was on) plus push Florastor adult strength probiotics twice a day. We open the capsule and put it in applesauce. That was what GI told us to do. Because I didn't want to bleach my pocket dipes, I had to put them away for 4 months so I wouldn't re-infect him. The doc wanted me to bleach all his clothes, but that just wasn't a possibility, so I washed everything with lots of oxyclean, and dried it on hot. Anything that touched his poop got thrown away.

The second time DS had it, he had RSV and C diff at the same time. He was beyond miserable. We were inpatient for 5 days for it.

Good luck mama. It is miserable.

C diff is extremely contagious. Until she tests clean, absolutely no daycare or being around other kids. It is hard to kill, so it may take more than one round of meds. What my doc had us do was a round of meds, then wait two weeks, then test again to make sure it was out of the system.

betsybikes 02-03-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoshPants
Hives would mean an allergic reaction! you need to see a doctor!

Doc called to give me diagnosis today over phone. Described additional symptoms to him and he said it sounds like secondary issue. But right now her immune system is way down. I will call in the morning and go in to doctors office after we pick up her meds at the pharmacy.

crunchymamaNY 02-03-2013 09:35 PM

I wish the dr gave you more information regarding how to care for your dd. I don't know a ton about it, but yes, it can be caused by antibiotics (certain kinds) just as you stated. Give your dd her new antibiotic, and i hope it helps for her. I'm sure she's feeling quite icky right now. The poo prob smells awful, and may be slimmy, or mucous like. I remember taking care of adult patients with c-diff and the smell was really awful and you can smell it from the halls. C-diff is also quite contagious so please make sure to keep her away from others, and wash your hands during diaper changes. It's very important not to pass it back and forth.

Good luck mama. give her lots of hugs and cuddles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by betsybikes (Post 16244622)
Just found out my 18 mo DD has C. Diff. Not sure what to do but it sounds serious.

From what research I've read, this is a reaction from broad spectrum antibiotics. They killed all the bacteria in the gut, leaving the C. Diff to flourish and take over. It is similar to a medical resistant staph, as in it is a "super bug"

Caution, the below might be TMI for some :greenbaby:

It started during Thanksgiving, when she picked up an ear infection while travelling and got antibiotics at the Urgent Care. She appeared to heal fine. Then in December she had a pesky yeast rash, but we seemed to nail it before Christmas. In early January, she starting having poo 'spolisions. Lots. Maybe like 4 or 5 really loose, stinky stools a day. I made the appointment for her well child for the end of the month and kept an eye on it. The poo waxed and waned, but starting having some mucous in it. But some days it seemed relatively normal.

This Wednesday was her well child check up. On Tuesday, she got a moderate fever from a bug that was going around her small home daycare. So we kept her home on Wednesday, and didnt take her to the doctor b/c she wasn't going to be able to get shots, and my husband convinced me it wasnt so bad. :blush: Got her in on Friday, turned in stool sample on Saturday and found out today it is C.Diff.

So has anyone else gone through this??? What now??

Doctor is prescribing new anti-biotic to target the bad bugs and I can pick it up tomorrow morning. He wants to see her on Wednesday to check in. If she is not responding to the antibiotics, he wants to check her in to the hospital.

I have been giving her lots of pro-biotics, tons of fluids, and fever relievers. I've restricted fruits, and leaned towards a BRAT diet. She was amost weaned, but now has gone back to nursing like a new born. I am not fighting it, because at least I know she is getting fluids and nutrition. I have been taking pro-biotics myself and trying to get lots of vitamins.

Oh yeah, after we left the doctor on Friday, she developed hives on the back of her legs, and then a raspy cough that has been getting worse. Her fever has been going up and down all weekend.

Poor baby, feel really bad for her, know she is in lots of discomfort because she is really fussy. Really just scared out of my mind for my baby girl. Prayers welcomed. :goodvibes:

Anybody else been through this, or know anyone that has? Or had any experience with MRSA? Or any other tummy ailments? Not really sure what to do diet wise to make sure she is eating foods that will help her heal. Where to you typically get the highest quality affordable pro-biotics? I bought some kids culterelle at the store, and am trying to give her the highest dose.

Going to try and work from home most of the week. Don't want her picking up anything more from day care and want her to rest and heal. Really grateful to have a work environment where this is possible.

mibarra 02-03-2013 09:38 PM

PPs are right. Highly contagious, so be very cautious!

z2akids 02-03-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola (Post 16244673)
DS has had it twice. You have to bleach everything, as Clorox wipes won't kill it. He got it inpatient at the children's hospital. We do the antibiotics (I forget what he was on) plus push Florastor adult strength probiotics twice a day. We open the capsule and put it in applesauce. That was what GI told us to do. Because I didn't want to bleach my pocket dipes, I had to put them away for 4 months so I wouldn't re-infect him. The doc wanted me to bleach all his clothes, but that just wasn't a possibility, so I washed everything with lots of oxyclean, and dried it on hot. Anything that touched his poop got thrown away.

The second time DS had it, he had RSV and C diff at the same time. He was beyond miserable. We were inpatient for 5 days for it.

Good luck mama. It is miserable.

C diff is extremely contagious. Until she tests clean, absolutely no daycare or being around other kids. It is hard to kill, so it may take more than one round of meds. What my doc had us do was a round of meds, then wait two weeks, then test again to make sure it was out of the system.

I agree. Your LO cannot go beck to daycare until cleared by her doctor. You need to let Daycare know because they are going to have to really clean so it doesn't spread.

Alcohol doesn't kill Cdiff, sk soap and water, scrubbing and lots of bleach.

Cdiff is not MRSA. It is often contracted on hospitals, but it is different. It can be hard to get rid of. Name sure you do the complete course of flagyl.

Kiliki 02-03-2013 09:44 PM

No advice. But I couldn't read and not say something.

:bighug:

How scary. I hope she gets proper care and is on the mend very soon! :hugs:

turtledance 02-03-2013 10:29 PM

I have never had a child that had it, but I had it as a teenager. I felt pretty yucky, but the antibiotics took care of it within a few days. I hope your dd starts feeling better soon. Poor kiddo.