Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Any "real"/traditionally nourished (or paleo) foodies in here? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488494)

Havah 02-03-2013 11:11 PM

Any "real"/traditionally nourished (or paleo) foodies in here?

What are your methods of keeping grocery costs down when 75% (or more) of your list is fresh, local, and/or organic (at least non-GMO) ... not to mention trying to replace a good 50% of your old wheat intake with sprouted or GF-ancient grains? Besides making as much as possible from scratch, I mean.

I'm trying to delve into meal planning for starters, and have been price-shopping for years ... but I feel like I'm missing something.

:goodvibes:

kaydove 02-03-2013 11:19 PM

Buy the best you can afford.

Paleo/whatever is definitely not economical but so much better for your health. The best advice I've read was to buy the best quality food that you can afford.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Bella Catalina 02-03-2013 11:26 PM

Re: Any "real"/traditionally nourished (or paleo) foodies in here?

We've avoided trying to budget food for this reason, but nos I'm determined to try. We were TF for 4 years before switching to paleo. What do you find your cheapest meal options are?

Marianna1988 02-04-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Havah
What are your methods of keeping grocery costs down when 75% (or more) of your list is fresh, local, and/or organic (at least non-GMO) ... not to mention trying to replace a good 50% of your old wheat intake with sprouted or GF-ancient grains? Besides making as much as possible from scratch, I mean.

I'm trying to delve into meal planning for starters, and have been price-shopping for years ... but I feel like I'm missing something.

:goodvibes:

I'm still a novice at this. We eat mostly paleo dinners because of gluten and dairy issues (still eat rice and potatoes sometimes). One thing I do is buy in season, local produce. Like strawberries are in season in the other parts of te country, but we still have a couple months, so no berries for us yet. I don't replace most of our grains that used to be wheat. We just don't eat sandwiches and pasta like we used to. Spaghetti squash, zucchini, eggplant etc instead of pasta.

Sounds like you not want to hear it, but I make most f our stuff from scratch. We aren't strictly paleo, so idk all the rules, but I make our own salad dressings (vinegar, oil, seasonings), spreads, snacks, etc. I don't really buy anything in a box or bag except for raw ingredients.

Melinda29 02-04-2013 12:40 PM

Have you read "Real Food on a Real Budget"? It addresses this.

We spend around $1000/month for 6 people eating only real food like this. Not paleo, more NT foods. We actually eat only 1 serving of meat a day per person, at most. Probably only 5 days a week. Lots of vegetarian meals, but still plenty of eggs, fresh milk, butter, etc.

kaydove 02-04-2013 01:12 PM

Oh yeah, making everything from scratch helps. I also don't buy salad dressing, easy to make your own. Don't buy pancake mix, buy dried beans vs canned. Don't buy anything boxed like cereal or cake mix. We do meatless Mondays.

It's hard with my DH because I eat fruit and veggies as a snack but he wants empty calorie foods like potato chips. :( He's allergic to dairy so I can't give him cottage cheese or other healthy easy snack. I found TF was easier with a nursing baby than paleo for breakfast, lunch, and snacks for me but I did paleo for dinner.

Farmers markets help with cost a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

CarrieMeredith 02-04-2013 02:26 PM

Two words: Azure Standard.

I have had a few friends in the past who get most of their monthly foods through Azure and then supplement with local farmer's markets. I'm about to take the plunge. I will do most of my monthly shopping through them and then make do with what I can find otherwise. I've made a whole excel spread sheet with prices added and multiplied etc. I'm excited!

Now, I haven't reduced my monthly grocery budget at all by doing this. It is $650 for a family of 5 monthly. But, I have made MUCH better choices in the foods that I'm going to be getting.

cmarsh31 02-04-2013 02:39 PM

We do a CSA share (June - Feb) that is virtually all of our produce plus a good portion of fruit. In the spring we go berry picking and freeze and/or can blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, jam, etc. Summer we stock up on peaches & pears from a local orchard (2nds are great!) and can them. Fall is apples apples apples. We purchase a 1/4 of a cow once a year from a local farmer, 10 chickens (and our Thanksgiving turkey) from another farm, and sausage & pork from a third. Eggs & milk come from a local dairy. For a family of 4 (I use coupons for toiletries, etc), we spend about $700/month on all organic/local. Meal planning is based entirely on what is on hand at the time.

Melinda29 02-04-2013 03:17 PM

We also buy thru Azure Standard and the Nebraska Food Coop. It's a little tricky getting started because the best prices from Azure are bulk prices, like I have 15 pounds of pasture butter coming this month--a year's worth--but it is only $5.30/pound that way. I buy their dry beans in 5 pound bags and cook it all at once--in the oven--and then freeze in 1 3/4 cup portions to use instead of canned beans. It saves both time and money to buy and prep in bulk, but there is a learning curve.

I buy usually 25 pounds of meat at a time from the Nebraska Food Coop (6 months worth, as the nutrient quality of meat decreases over time in the freezer). We typically eat 1 pound each of grassfed beef, pastured pork, pastured chicken, and wild caught fish per week, plus 1-2 dozen eggs. I roast the chickens whole, then shred the meat off the carcass for use later, then make broth from the bones.

I do a big garden every spring and freeze as much produce as possible for the winter, even traditionally canned things like tomatoes and applesauce. I can very little, basically just the fruit from my pear trees and jam from my currant bushes. Canning really destroys most of the nutrients present, so I avoid it when possible.

It took me about 3 years to totally transition over to a real foods lifestyle. Partly it was sourcing foods, partly it was stocking up my bulk purchases to get the best pricing (because I couldn't afford to buy 15 pounds of butter AND 25 pounds of beef AND 20 pounds of beans all at once), but mostly it was learning HOW to cook this way and use my time efficiently. It takes more time and more money, but it is worth it.

My fave resource: heavenlyhomemaker.com

thirdtimemomma 02-04-2013 04:39 PM

We eat GF and some paleo. The GF substitutes we use are Pamelas pancake mix, GF corn bread and rice pasta. We do those once a week. We also eat potatoes and rice. I try to have beans as a main dish twice a week.
As for processed ingredients we limit it to canned tomato, 1 bag of cereal, pasta sauce and I do hs e broth on hand for quick soups. The rest are raw ingredients..
In the car I keep glutino pretzels and Lara bars to keep us from eating out on the run.

We also eat what's in season, like only oranges and apples for fruit. And mostly root veg for veg.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum