Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Healthy Living and Weightloss (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   p90x (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488540)

Heather1583 02-04-2013 07:48 AM

p90x
 
Anyone out there doing this or tried it? I just started, and want to hear others real experiences with it, not the infomercial peoples!
I like it so far -one week in- but I am having a hard time fitting in 6 1 hour workouts a week, and I borrowed it from someone so I dont have any of the diet info. (and neither do they). I really don't want to splurge on their protein recovery stuff either lol. Guess the part I like is the type of workouts, and they really are great for doing at home. I am 5'7" and 132 lbs, my goal is to have a flat tummy and some definiton by the time I go to the beach in june. I would love to have some others to groan and moan to as I go through this!

briggsy13 02-04-2013 07:52 AM

Re: p90x
 
I haven't done it but I want to eventually. My SIL did it and she had great results. She wasn't overweight but was not in shape at all. She lost some weight but her numbers at the drs office are all in the normal healthy range now. I'm doing Turbo Fire and Chalean Extreme currently but want the challenge of p90x at some point.

briggsy13 02-04-2013 07:54 AM

Re: p90x
 
and I wouldn't worry about the recovery drinks, I would just make sure you are getting plenty of protein from your diet. Tony himself has said its not necessary. He is a huge promoter of eating clean and getting your nutrition straight from food. He also does Shakeology too though but its not a have to.

PBAki 02-04-2013 09:15 AM

Re: p90x
 
I haven't done P90X but did Insanity and I can say with a harder workout like those programs your body will recover faster and prevent the muscle from basically breaking down if you consume protein shake within 45 minutes (earlier the better) after the workout. But you don't need Shakeology; plenty of quality shakes out there that you can get enough protein in quickly to stop the body from its catabolic state.

It's a good rule of thumb to eat after you workout anyway to replenish the body. What you don't want to do is not eat and allow the body to leech off nutrients from muscles and other storage that could prevent proper recovery and growth.

briggsy13 02-04-2013 09:28 AM

Re: p90x
 
As a side note, Shakeology is not a protein shake. It does have some protein in it but its made as a nutrition drink, or meal replacement. So if you are wanting protein after workout shakeology isn't the first choice. They do sell a recovery drink but I don't know much about that product.

3lilbubs 02-04-2013 10:19 AM

Re: p90x
 
I've been doing it almost a month, I'm in my recovery week of phase 1. I found the lack of stories from women like myself really frustrating. There's a big difference between some beer-gut college kid with 15 lbs to loose and a mom of 4 that's had 4 c/s's and is obese starting it.

I'm a sahm, so I guess it's easier for me to find the time to commit to the workouts. The diet routine is really strict, and staying to the workout regime is hard enough for me so I don't follow that. My goal is to eat clean/paleo as much as I can. For the shakes, I flat out can't afford them and I think it's a lot of hype honestly. I use the GNC lean shakes (don't buy the strawberry, what ever you do :yuck:) and I use those with natures way Alive! supplements and that works well. If you're going to do shakes, the easiest way dh and I have found to mix them is the blenderbottles. I've lost 9lbs so far in phase 1 and 1-2" all over my body.

Being as lean as you already are, you should see results a lot faster than me, and that will motivate you to keep going pretty quickly. :) Glad to have someone to gripe and share Tony meme's with. :giggle:
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnl2jxt28X1qb6215.png

3lilbubs 02-04-2013 10:22 AM

Re: p90x
 
oh and one more thing, some things I recommend getting for sure are a really good yoga mat and a block, and a resistance band set. I have a chin up bar that goes in the doorway but I probably won't be able to use my own weight as resistance to use it for while longer. I was way too weak. The bands help with your form and provide return resistance which is helpful as well. :)

Heather1583 02-04-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lilbubs (Post 16246388)
I've been doing it almost a month, I'm in my recovery week of phase 1. I found the lack of stories from women like myself really frustrating. There's a big difference between some beer-gut college kid with 15 lbs to loose and a mom of 4 that's had 4 c/s's and is obese starting it.

I'm a sahm, so I guess it's easier for me to find the time to commit to the workouts. The diet routine is really strict, and staying to the workout regime is hard enough for me so I don't follow that. My goal is to eat clean/paleo as much as I can. For the shakes, I flat out can't afford them and I think it's a lot of hype honestly. I use the GNC lean shakes (don't buy the strawberry, what ever you do :yuck:) and I use those with natures way Alive! supplements and that works well. If you're going to do shakes, the easiest way dh and I have found to mix them is the blenderbottles. I've lost 9lbs so far in phase 1 and 1-2" all over my body.

Being as lean as you already are, you should see results a lot faster than me, and that will motivate you to keep going pretty quickly. :) Glad to have someone to gripe and share Tony meme's with. :giggle:

I just work on the weekends, but like I said I do 12 hour shifts usually both days right now, so that 6th workout is nearly impossible to fit in. I may just throw out one, like yoga for now, and stick with the cardio/weight training ones. I am not a yoga enthusiast anyway ;) (probably because I have such a hard time doing it, it kills my wrists) I've been doing the workouts when my boys are in preschool in the mornings, so that has been helpful. I just have to hope my dd takes a nap.
As for the diet and supplements- I pretty much eat clean already. I would prefer some sort of from scratch DIY recovery drink made from mostly whole foods. I'm just not interested in buying a big jug of powder stuff, with all of the unresearched crap they put in them claiming it does something... I don't even like taking a multivitamin lol. And that's also because I can't remember to take it as often as I should.
I have the resistance bands ordered, got the pull up bar, mat and blocks. I have to improvise for now because my house has doorframes only upstairs away from my tv. Thank you all so far for your input! I really hope we all can reach our goals!

3lilbubs 02-04-2013 11:49 AM

Re: p90x
 
I personally wouldn't get rid of the yoga just because even though I hate HATE it, and I suck at it, it really has helped with my overall strength and endurance for the weight training. Not to mention balance. I would say it would be better to take that routine(the longest, I believe) and break it up into 2 1/2 hr workouts if you can manage that. I agree, a home made shake would be best if you can work that in but you may not need it at all. It's a meal replacement and I think, geared more toward those that need to loose weight or improve their nutrition. My main reason to get the leanshakes is because it's an easy brainless way for me to handle breakfast or any other meal where I don't have the time and might eat something really bad in place of a good meal. I also have a good chunk of weight to lose. I don't do the recovery stuff, I find that most of the time I'm due for a meal right after my workout and don't need anything extra. With you already being at a good weight, you might need more than me. If you wind up extra sore or just feel dog tired after a couple days I'd consider drinking a glass of milk or homemade protein drink after your workout. I've seen a few recipes for home made protein bars as well out there in the net.

PBAki 02-04-2013 12:03 PM

Re: p90x
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather1583 (Post 16246703)
I would prefer some sort of from scratch DIY recovery drink made from mostly whole foods. I'm just not interested in buying a big jug of powder stuff, with all of the unresearched crap they put in them claiming it does something... I don't even like taking a multivitamin lol.

Honestly if you can eat whole foods then I would; personally I just don't have the time to cook six to seven meals a day not to mention the cost. Gotta choose your battles you know :) But yes there are a lot of cheap supplements marketed to be the 'best' or marketed by some pro athletes. Shaklee's products are fine example and I really don't care for their products with the ingredients they use. Not exactly as natural as they claim either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by briggsy13 (Post 16246118)
As a side note, Shakeology is not a protein shake. It does have some protein in it but its made as a nutrition drink, or meal replacement. So if you are wanting protein after workout shakeology isn't the first choice. They do sell a recovery drink but I don't know much about that product.

I guess you can consider it as a nutrition drink though Shakeology does have good balance; as long as you don't need a lot of protein and say you weigh under 200 lbs. It's just an expensive form of a protein shake that sort of act as a recovery drink at the same time. I normally take isolate protein mixed with sugary drink right after and take additional supplements. Just can't do whole foods right after a workout...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors