Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Meal Planning (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488573)

Melmonkey 02-04-2013 09:16 AM

Meal Planning

I seriously need to start meal planning, but I have no clue where to start......

Meal Planners HELP ME PLEASE:giggle2:

Holly dolly 02-04-2013 09:58 AM

Re: Meal Planning

I do it out of necessity. I don't get home until 5:30 most nights so if I'm not prepared with a meal idea we eat sandwiches or mac n cheese. I use the printable from this site...right now I'm using 2 copies...but I may create one similar with more blocks at the top. I color-coordinate all the ingredients needed for the meals with that printable...the stuff I have in black, the stuff I need in another color.

I plan based on a few things. First I look at my week and note if there is a night that I know we will be eating away from home or a night that will require a quick meal. Then I look at the meats and supplies I have in my pantry. Lastly I look at sales and see what is cheap that week.

I try to plan based on leftovers too. Like on Friday we had steak for supper. I knew we would have leftovers so I planned tonight's meal to use the leftovers. If I know I'm making 2 chicken dishes that week I try to cook it all at once to save time.

I usually plan on Thursday or Friday because that's when I shop. But you could plan at any time. I tried several different apps and printables before I found one that worked for me.

I also have a list of all the meals I make hanging on my fridge. I have them categorized by main meat for the meal so if I know I have a pound of ground turkey in the fridge but I'm not sure what to make with it I glance at the list and realize we haven't had goulash in a month...and I add it to the menu.

Melmonkey 02-04-2013 09:26 PM

Thanks Holly! I hope that I can get into this meal planning thing, more for eating better and less junk:thumbsup:

Namiko 02-04-2013 09:39 PM

I usually base my meal plans off of my Pinterest page which i then base my shopping off of. That helps me stay more focused when I'm in the grocery store :goodvibes:

Holly dolly 02-05-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melmonkey
Thanks Holly! I hope that I can get into this meal planning thing, more for eating better and less junk:thumbsup:

You're welcome!!! It takes consistency for sure. But if I skip a week I'm totally lost!!

One thing I've started doing is saving all my old meal plans...cause next year I can pull out this years menu and make it easy!!!

Sarah-B 02-05-2013 04:30 PM

Bookmarking

graceworks 02-06-2013 01:17 PM

My grocery budget is every 2 weeks so right before the 2 weeks begins I sit down with my grocery store circular and 2 pieces of paper. On one I write
M T W H F S S twice down the side for the days of the week, and the other is my grocery list.

I check what I have in the freezer/fridge and what is on sale that week and go off that. I take requests from the husband and have Breakfast for dinner (Brinner) on Saturdays week and Pasta every Thursday and Sunday big lunch. Soup is usually monday or wednsedayAfter I fill in Saturdays, Thursdays, and Sundays, I go from there. I write down the main dish and veggie. We're only a family of 2 adults, a toddler, and a baby, so a standard recipe can usually feed us 2 meals. Sunday night we call "fend" days (as in "fend for yourself") where we just kind of cobble together a meal from whatever we have around because we have a big pasta lunch that day. So it usually works out like this

M - meat + veg recipe
T - leftover of that + side sald
W - soup
H - Pasta
F - leftovers
S - brinner
S - "fend"

repeat for week 2 :) I change it up with lots of different meat recipes and lots of different soup recipes. And sometimes Brinner is waffles or pancakes, and sometimes it is bacon and eggs, or veggie omelets. So there is variety within the easy to plan framework!

Once I have the weeks' meals planned, I write the grocery list of ingredients I need. I do a big shop every 2 weeks. It works for us! I'm sure when we have more kids/older kids things will change a lot but maybe you'll get some inspiration from the way I do it.

Hope that helps!

cpamamma 02-09-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annaelise
My grocery budget is every 2 weeks so right before the 2 weeks begins I sit down with my grocery store circular and 2 pieces of paper. On one I write
M T W H F S S twice down the side for the days of the week, and the other is my grocery list.

I check what I have in the freezer/fridge and what is on sale that week and go off that. I take requests from the husband and have Breakfast for dinner (Brinner) on Saturdays week and Pasta every Thursday and Sunday big lunch. Soup is usually monday or wednsedayAfter I fill in Saturdays, Thursdays, and Sundays, I go from there. I write down the main dish and veggie. We're only a family of 2 adults, a toddler, and a baby, so a standard recipe can usually feed us 2 meals. Sunday night we call "fend" days (as in "fend for yourself") where we just kind of cobble together a meal from whatever we have around because we have a big pasta lunch that day. So it usually works out like this

M - meat + veg recipe
T - leftover of that + side sald
W - soup
H - Pasta
F - leftovers
S - brinner
S - "fend"

repeat for week 2 :) I change it up with lots of different meat recipes and lots of different soup recipes. And sometimes Brinner is waffles or pancakes, and sometimes it is bacon and eggs, or veggie omelets. So there is variety within the easy to plan framework!

Once I have the weeks' meals planned, I write the grocery list of ingredients I need. I do a big shop every 2 weeks. It works for us! I'm sure when we have more kids/older kids things will change a lot but maybe you'll get some inspiration from the way I do it.

Hope that helps!

Love this! I have such a hard time meal planning but this seems really workable.

airxwife 02-11-2013 11:04 PM

I want/need to meal plan but have felt so lost- thank you for this thread, it has helped me too!

Mama*Kim 02-12-2013 10:35 AM

I start off with a list of the nights from shopping day to shopping day. I shop of Tuesdays, so my list is Tues-Mon. Then make notes on each day for what's going on, like if I'll be working during dinner time, we'll be somewhere else for dinner, etc. Then I make notes for what types of meals I'll need like "2 crockpot meals, 2 quick dinners, 1 freezer meal (I freeze leftovers for use another week), 2 big meals". I don't always list certain meals for certain days, but note things based on the day. For example, if I know I'm not going to be home from work until 5, I'll be doing a quick dinner that night.

Then I take that list to the kitchen to see what meals I can fill in with what's on hand. My goal is to use meats in the freezer already and not need to buy meat for that week's meals. I fill in remaining meals with requests and whatever else I feel like making. I use that list to create my shopping list.