Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Mini Minimalist Challenge: 2/4-2/8 (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488589)

wordbox 02-04-2013 09:40 AM

Mini Minimalist Challenge: 2/4-2/8

The Mini Minimalist Challenge runs each week from Monday-Friday. Weekends can be used as catch up days, and would be a great time to drop off donations. Before & After pictures (or any other progress photos) are encouraged!

I will post the entire 5 days all at once, in case you would like to plan ahead or work out of order. Keep in mind that not all challenges will be relevant for every person or every home. If you find a challenge that does not need to be done, or is in an area of your home that you do not have, either consider it a day off or focus on an area that you really do need to work on.

If you're feeling extra motivated, this is also a good time to wipe down surfaces or vacuum areas that don't usually get much attention. You can consolidate items, eliminate packaging, or reorganize while working on the challenge in that area... but it's okay if you don't!

The goal will be to purge 5 things from each area. You may find more and you may find less, but you want to aim for at least 5 whenever possible. If you stick to just the minimum, you will purge 25 things from your home every week! Comment with your progress and to encourage others, and share with us your successes and struggles.

If you are new, feel free to jump right in where you are! Don't feel like you need to backtrack or catch up to us.

Week #6

Monday 2.4.13: Purge 5 items from your power cords & chargers. Have you been wanting to label them? Now would be a great time to do that.

Tuesday 2.5.13: Purge 5 items from your shoes and other outdoor accessories (hats, sunglasses, mittens, etc.). Look at your stuff as well as your kids' stuff.

Wednesday 2.6.13: Purge 5 items from your jewelry box. Don't have one? What other accessories do you have an abundance of? Daughters with lots of hair accessories?

Thursday 2.7.13: Purge 5 items from your bedroom nightstands, dressers, and shelves (or from any other area in your bedroom that needs it). This would be a good time to dust surfaces, wipe down your windows, vacuum, and put fresh sheets on your bed (if you're feeling motivated).

Friday 2.8.13: Purge 5 (more) items from your kids' toys. This could include books, craft items, or anything else that your children play with. We already visited this area last month; let's take another look (I know many of us have been wanting to simplify in this area, and it's a good one to revisit regularly as they lose interest or we feel more ready to minimize).

BONUS TASK: Lift up those couch cushions and take a look at what might be lurking in there. Get out the vacuum and clean them up well. This would also be a good time to check out what's underneath the couch and vacuum under there, too. ;)

ArronDalesMama 02-04-2013 12:16 PM

Did Fridays today since I needed to put away laundry.

6 undies, 5 pair socks gone
Plus some toys (I'll say 5)
And some trash.

Was super easy to do since there is less and less stuff lurking around.

joeslittlewoman 02-04-2013 08:54 PM

Woohoo! Did the bonus task last Thursday. I'll vacuum under the furniture again, but since we don't eat in the living room anymore, I'm sure I won't need to vacuum under the cushions again. I'll pick up on these after my doc appt tomorrow!!

ArronDalesMama 02-05-2013 11:16 AM

Did the bonus task. Found a game boy, crumbs, socks, foam bullets, and 17 cents. Yay for getting paid to clean lol.

evamyster88 02-05-2013 12:24 PM

Re: Mini Minimalist Challenge: 2/4-2/8

Monday 2.4.13: Purge 5 items from your power cords & chargers. Have you been wanting to label them? Now would be a great time to do that. DONE...GOT RID OF AT LEAST 10 CORDS/CHARGERS

Tuesday 2.5.13: Purge 5 items from your shoes and other outdoor accessories (hats, sunglasses, mittens, etc.). Look at your stuff as well as your kids' stuff. Done

Wednesday 2.6.13: Purge 5 items from your jewelry box. Don't have one? What other accessories do you have an abundance of? Daughters with lots of hair accessories? Done

Thursday 2.7.13: Purge 5 items from your bedroom nightstands, dressers, and shelves (or from any other area in your bedroom that needs it). This would be a good time to dust surfaces, wipe down your windows, vacuum, and put fresh sheets on your bed (if you're feeling motivated). Done

Friday 2.8.13: Purge 5 (more) items from your kids' toys. This could include books, craft items, or anything else that your children play with. We already visited this area last month; let's take another look (I know many of us have been wanting to simplify in this area, and it's a good one to revisit regularly as they lose interest or we feel more ready to minimize).

BONUS TASK: Lift up those couch cushions and take a look at what might be lurking in there. Get out the vacuum and clean them up well. This would also be a good time to check out what's underneath the couch and vacuum under there, too.

P!nkPepper 02-05-2013 12:26 PM

Monday 2.4.13: 4 chargers trashed

Tuesday 2.5.13: Purge 5 items from your shoes and other outdoor accessories (hats, sunglasses, mittens, etc.). Look at your stuff as well as your kids' stuff.

Wednesday 2.6.13: I got nothing ~ minimal jewelry & hair stuff already

Thursday 2.7.13: cleaned under my bed, merged 3 bins to 2 & took them to the attic. Donated 5 shirts & the fabric bin.

Friday 2.8.13: Purged DS1's room last week

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

elizabeth.scalf 02-05-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArronDalesMama (Post 16251159)
Did the bonus task. Found a game boy, crumbs, socks, foam bullets, and 17 cents. Yay for getting paid to clean lol.

You get paid 70% more than me. I only found a dime today :-( .

wordbox 02-07-2013 10:46 AM

How is everyone doing? I need to catch up. Last week and this week haven't been too great. We had a cold go through our house, we had our house appraised yesterday, and DD is going through a growth spurt so I've gotten very little sleep and she just wants to nurse all day (and night). Oy oy oy.

I can't wait for the weekend to be here! We're planning on getting new furniture and repainting our living room, and we're also repainting a closet and reorganizing it either this weekend or next weekend. I'm hoping to purge a lot while we're at it. I had lost steam but am itching to do more now.

TypeAMom 02-07-2013 09:09 PM

I've lost steam, too. Some of these things I've done in the past few months (even cleaned under the couch cushions a couple of weeks ago!) and haven't added to what we have. Things have been so busy around here, too that purging hasn't been a priority. :( Looks like we may be snowed in this w/e so I'm hoping to make some progress in any category at all. Will hopefully be able to attack the basement a bit more.

P!nkPepper 02-07-2013 10:56 PM

I'm purging on my own & trying to keep up with the lists but I have purged quite a bit of this stuff already. I don't have that much of my own stuff (or even the 2 littles' stuff) to purge. Just DH's & DS1's and they will kick my butt. I was thinking about hanging an over the door shoe organizer in my closet but I wondered what I would put in it... I guess it stays in Ds1's room almost empty.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k