Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Chipped teeth (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488610)

Almacham 02-04-2013 10:32 AM

Chipped teeth

My 3yo has two chipped front teeth. I am taking her to the dentist tomorrow morning but I am wondering if any of you have any experience with chipped baby teeth? SO is convinced that if we don't get it checked out it will somehow cause a problem with her adult teeth so now I am worrying (needlessly?).

Also does anyone have any recommendations for helping a very shy, stranger phobic toddler through a dental exam? I am soooo not looking forward to it!

Holly dolly 02-04-2013 10:45 AM

Re: Chipped teeth

My ds chipped both of his teeth at his first birthday party. They are kinda cute and match his go-go-go personality. :D That said we did watch them closely. My sil is a dental assistant and she told me to watch for cavities, extra sensitivity, and also that an abscess doesn't develop (this looks like a blister or pimple on their gum).

So far he's been fine and the dentist wasn't worried. It also was just the bottom part of the tooth for him, but it could have been worse if the break had been higher or if it cracked a dental-term-I-can't-remember.

Kiliki 02-04-2013 10:57 AM

My DD has several chipped teeth in the front. She's never complained about them, they are all still a normal color, no other decay. So I've just left them alone and cared for them like her other teeth.

I think she has weak teeth from crappy genetics. I do, my mom does, my grandma does... junky teeth run in my family. :/ Hoping her adult ones are stronger.

sillymama 02-04-2013 11:15 AM

Both of my daughters have chips in their front teeth. They are very small chips but they have never been an issue. If the tooth is jagged the dentist may smooth it out.

sisu 02-04-2013 11:17 AM

My almost 3 year old has chipped his front two, he looks kinda funny ;) but according to his dentist it's not a big deal and won't have any long-term effects.

Shimpie 02-04-2013 11:37 AM

DD has a small chipped front tooth from turning her face into the edge of the pool. I didn't take her to see the dentist specifically for the chip. If she had chipped more, or fallen on her face, I would have taken her in immediately. I watched it closely for a change in color and we saw the dentist about a month later for a schedueld checkup.

mibarra 02-04-2013 12:56 PM

I don't think it will affect adult teeth. It could cause her pain depending on how chipped they are, make them more prone to cavities, or get worse.

Almacham 02-05-2013 03:46 PM

Thanks everyone. She did have a cavity in one of them.

kbstanley3 02-06-2013 04:32 AM

My son and now youngest DD have chipped front teeth at about 1 year old. My son had to have crowns put on both his two front teeth at 2 years old because it was affecting his speech. My DD's is right beside of her two front teeth, and this weekend more of it broke off down to almost the gum. =( We have a consultation today so I'll let you know what they say but I fear they're going to want to crown it, and that was traumatic (they didn't put DS under or anything, he was 2 and I don't think I'll ever forget the look of sheer terror on his face). We brush often and floss from the time they get their first teeth but I have crappy teeth myself so I think they got my genetics. None of my kids really like juice, so they rarely drink it. My middle DD's teeth are fine.

Rewind_Selector 02-06-2013 05:21 AM

My 6 yr old has 2 chipped teeth in front. It happened when he was about 18 months. The dentist said then and still now that as long as they don't change color drastically fast to let them fall out on their own.