Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   While i go crazy waiting (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488624)

aries416 02-04-2013 10:55 AM

While i go crazy waiting

For an autism eval. My son is saying 1 new word daily at least and is now able to finish some sentences in his favorite books. He takes notice of other kids a d wants to be near them. Routine does not matter to him. He's very loving and will seek out attention from adults and some other kids. Does he sound possibly autistic to you? Language is his big deficit, but he is making progress. 3 months ago he had zero words.

ktmelody 02-04-2013 11:16 AM

How old is he?

Its just hard to know.

My DD has no interest in playing with or being near other kids. She was delaye in language but has caught up now at 3. Except she does not speak in social situations. She goes to a self contained preschool for her issues.

She also does not play with toys correctly (as in feeding a baby doll, cooking food etc). She just organizes things.

If he is playing well with other kids and learning social rules as he seeks out others then he may not be on the spectrum.

aries416 02-04-2013 11:19 AM

Re: While i go crazy waiting

He's 27 months.

ktmelody 02-04-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aries416
He's 27 months.

I hope you get some answers! It sounds normal to me how you describe him.

Does he make eye contact?
Does he show you things that interest him?
Does he play with toys normally?
Does he have one area of high fixation? (Only playing with wheels? Watching the same video over and over again?)
Any stimming?

I an sure they will cover these things in the evaluation.

aries416 02-04-2013 11:28 AM

He makes lots of eye contact. he does point, but it's more of a reach and grunt or he'll take my hand and bring me somewhere/show something he wants. If I point to something, he'll look at it. He does not play with toys properly, per se. He does not fixate on things and could care less about wheels. He's been making "hats" out of all kinds of toys and wearing them on his hands. That's about as fixated as he gets, but he changes toys/changes what he's doing very quickly. Everyone describes him as "busy".

ktmelody 02-04-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aries416
He makes lots of eye contact. he does point, but it's more of a reach and grunt or he'll take my hand and bring me somewhere/show something he wants. If I point to something, he'll look at it. He does not play with toys properly, per se. He does not fixate on things and could care less about wheels. He's been making "hats" out of all kinds of toys and wearing them on his hands. That's about as fixated as he gets, but he changes toys/changes what he's doing very quickly. Everyone describes him as "busy".

He sounds normal to me. Most kids with autism lack the ability to show someone something or share interests with someone.

They also will fixate on something for a period of time ( a few weeks, months etc). Rarely do they play with toys traditionally.

Of course these things vary from person to person with autism.

Is the delayed speech the only reason you are having him evaluated?

Does he toe walk? Spin? Watch colorful items? Any sensory avoidance (like wont touch slimy, doesnt like dirt) or sensory seeking behaviors (like swinging, crashing etc)

The way you describe him he sounds normal with a little speech delay. And new words every day is great!

aries416 02-04-2013 11:44 AM

His early intervention teacher mentioned possible autism because up until the last couple weeks had had made virtually NO progress with language. She really wants him in school because she thinks he's "too stubborn" to learn at home and that a school setting would help him. I really hesitate because he's very attached to me.

He is a sensory seeker in that he LOVES dirt and loves to touch everything. I suspect he does have some sensory issues, but nothing too severe. If he's sitting in a pile of blocks and playing with them by shuffling them around, I can get him to build with me if I give him one at a time.

I'm just so confused because we had our daughter evaluated and she met almost every behavior possible and they said she was fine because she talks well to other people and was able to do the ADOS screener with no issue. She's definitely quirky! I'm pretty sure my son is just quirky and "different", but I don't want to miss any chance of getting him help if he is autistic and needs it.

ktmelody 02-04-2013 11:59 AM

When is the evaluation?

aries416 02-04-2013 12:05 PM

He has a STAT screener on Wednesday that I am sure he's going to fail and a much more official evaluation at the end of the month.

mibarra 02-04-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aries416 (Post 16246885)
He has a STAT screener on Wednesday that I am sure he's going to fail and a much more official evaluation at the end of the month.

It doesn't hurt to go through with the evaluation. Not all children with Autism present as those 'typical' kiddos. And then you'll know. Sorry it's driving you crazy! :goodvibes: