Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Recommend a breastpump? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488637)

Mom2Connor 02-04-2013 11:50 AM

Recommend a breastpump?

Know nothing about pumps. Nothing.

DS1 had major latch issues and it resulted in failed BFing. LCs could not even establish it. I leaked a lot so I'm assuming I was producing milk.

I want a BP this time just in case.

I know I want one that does the work on it's own, not a manual. I don't care about price. Easy to use and clean is all that matters to me!

I think I want a double, right? Any reason not to pump both at once? I am a SAHM so there won't be any issues w/pumping at work, etc.

Is there a pumping for dummies thread?!

Tris 02-04-2013 12:19 PM

Re: Recommend a breastpump?

Midela PISA (pump in style something) was a life saver for me with my first, I loved it.

Stamina 02-04-2013 12:23 PM

Hi mama! I have used several pumps, manual and electric, single and double over the course of nursing my 3 little ones :). It does depend on how often you will need to use it but if you're sure you want a electric, I would go with a double electric. For me, I pump more milk substantially faster with the double because both breasts let down at the same time. When I used a single electric, I would let down when pumping the first breast and would rarely let down again with the second breast. So emptying the second breast took a lot longer.

Here are my favorite pump recommendations:
Double Electric - Medela Pump In Style (I also have the Ameda Purely Yours Ultra - it doesn't work as well for me and I had to have my motor replaced twice in six months)

Single Electric - Avent Isis IQ UNO. It has a "let-down" cushion that worked well for me and expressed milk from behind the areolar area well. You can also set the exact pumping rhythm you want.

Manual - Avent Isis Manual. It also has the let-down cushion and I was able to pump more milk with it faster than with the Medela Harmony.

I feel like Medela pumps are easiest to clean.

Hope this helps a bit :). Good luck!

Meghann31 02-04-2013 12:33 PM

I have an electric lansinoh pump that works pretty well.

Cutebabybutts 02-07-2013 10:36 AM

I went through quite a few pumps the first time around and found that the Medela Pump in Style Advance double pump was the best. I used it for almost 2 years with my first baby and now I am still using the same pump with my second. It's held up great.

sandy_dandy 02-07-2013 06:23 PM

Medela Pump In Style Advance is awesome!

gingersnappy 02-08-2013 05:04 PM

I just started pumping myself and did a lot of research b/c I will be going back to and need to pump FAST. A double pump, electric will get the job done quick. Got a new-in-box Medela metro bag style pump on Ebay cheap and like it a lot. Read a ton of reviews by googling "best breast pump" b/c I didn't know about this website at that point.

jemanly02 02-08-2013 05:10 PM

I have the double electric Avent pump, and love it! I love that the controls are up by where your hands are, instead of having to fumble to change setting on the pump itself. The main reason I chose this one is because it is a closed-system pump. Milk cannot back up into the tubes or motor and cause mold.

AngelElle 02-15-2013 03:46 PM

Sorry to barge into the thread, but, I have it down to Medea freestyle or PISA. which would you say is better as far as being more efficient at getting the milk out. I had to EP for three months with my DS before he could latch. I am praying it won't go that way again, but I'm going to be armed with the best pump, just in case!!!

3 ladybugs 02-15-2013 04:14 PM

I pumped for 5 months with a hospital grade Medela (symphony) one and then I went to the PISA and I am telling you, it was stronger! It actually took me by surprise the first time I used it. I should point out that I went to take my rental back one day and picked up the Pump In Style Advanced so I really did feel the difference right away. I told the lactation person at the hospital that you shouldn't feel like your settling when you purchase a pump. I actually think I was settling when I was using the hospital pump!