Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Moms of Many or Multiples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Vacation rental discrimination! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488684)

4boys1girlforme 02-04-2013 01:19 PM

Vacation rental discrimination!

I found a condo that sleeps 8 and requested more information about rates and such. The manager of the property contacted me and asked how many in our party and ages. I responded that there were 2 adults and 5 children ages 3-13. I was told the unit was rented the week that we requested so I asked about the rest of June or May- rented. July or August- rented through September.
I felt that it didn't sound right so I requested information to another email address this time for 4 adults, no children- surprise the unit is available and for a great price!

s@hmommy 02-04-2013 01:23 PM

Re: Vacation rental discrimination!

A lot of the condo rentals are privately owned and contracted through an agency. Unfortunately, the owners can dictate who they will allow to stay in their unit. I am a big fat meanie and would call them and tell them exactly what you did so they know they are caught in their game though.

4boys1girlforme 02-04-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s@hmommy (Post 16247268)
A lot of the condo rentals are privately owned and contracted through an agency. Unfortunately, the owners can dictate who they will allow to stay in their unit. I am a big fat meanie and would call them and tell them exactly what you did so they know they are caught in their game though.

It can be added on the site that the unit is not child friendly! It specifically says perfect FAMILY vacation!

s@hmommy 02-04-2013 01:28 PM

Some only like older kids though, so they don't want to say it isn't kid friendly. We tried to rent one and they wouldn't let any kids under 10 in their unit, but it didn't state that in their listing.

doulamomma 02-04-2013 01:30 PM

Isnt that illegal?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DS Forum

4boys1girlforme 02-04-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doulamomma (Post 16247298)
Isnt that illegal?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DS Forum

I plan to find out!

3Munchkins1togrow 02-04-2013 01:42 PM

Unfortunately, this is more common than you would think. We recently moved and had to rent a home sight unseen. I contacted several people who were happy to send us additional pictures and complete the process online, until they found out we had 4 small children. Then the excuses started flying. I had one guy actually tell me how great and spacious a place was, he was more than happy to work with us online, etc.etc.etc. As soon as he found out about the kids he said, I don't think this place is right for you, it's much too small. When I said it was the same square footage as our current house, he just talked himself into a hole. One bedroom wasn't actually a bedroom, so I asked why he listed it as a bedroom if it wasn't, then it met all the requirements of a bedroom and can be listed as a bedroom per the state, but it wasn't actually one. When I said if it's fine with the state it should be fine for us, he continued to insist it was going to be too small and made an excuse to get off of the phone. We has similar problems when we rented a home for a vacation. When they said family, they meant 1 with 2 kids, not 4, especially not 4 small children. We just had to keep looking until we found someone ok with a "large" family :\ It's total discrimination, and completely unfair, but there isn't much that can be done.

stevensmom 02-04-2013 01:49 PM

unfortunately it's not illegal :(

MDever 02-04-2013 01:54 PM

Not cool. People with a tribe need reasonable vacation rentals too:banghead:

4boys1girlforme 02-04-2013 01:59 PM

At the very least I will review the manager everywhere on line that I can!