Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Sneaking food... WWYD (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488691)

twinmomstl 02-04-2013 01:29 PM

Sneaking food... WWYD

This isn't the first time but my kids didn't wake my DH up yesterday and instead came downstairs and at 10 pks of fruit snacks and 6 cereal bars between the two of them. DH found the wrappers hidden in our kitchen later that day. :banghead: I told them they don't get those special snacks for school anymore but I am worried about this behavior become eating issues. Anyone have experience with this? Is this just a phase?

raymark 02-04-2013 01:38 PM

Re: Sneaking food... WWYD

I wouldn't punish hungry children for eating food. Being able to choose & grab your own snacks is an independence everyone craves. Just keep more fresh fruits, veggies, yogurts, cheese sticks, healthy cereals, or whatever it is you want them reaching for in their reach. And stash the stuff you don't want them to have access to out of reach - or just stop buying the stuff & replace it with better options.

Rockinmama24 02-04-2013 01:45 PM

The first issue is why are they sneaking snacks. Once you figure that out, then you decide punishment or not.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

MDever 02-04-2013 02:00 PM

Has it been clearly explained in the past that this is not allowed? The knew enough to hide the wrappers. They are 4 1/2 correct? I would be pretty upset about that because we consider being sneaky the same as lying. I would take all of those foods out of the house for like a month. How early did they get up? I do agree with the pp who mentioned them being hungry so perhaps you could set an appropriate breakfast out for them the night before.

EmilytheStrange 02-04-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raymark (Post 16247335)
I wouldn't punish hungry children for eating food. Being able to choose & grab your own snacks is an independence everyone craves. Just keep more fresh fruits, veggies, yogurts, cheese sticks, healthy cereals, or whatever it is you want them reaching for in their reach. And stash the stuff you don't want them to have access to out of reach - or just stop buying the stuff & replace it with better options.

agreed.

it was morning and they were hungry. Technically, they ate breakfast bars :)

I'd just make sure that things that you'd want them to eat are available and leave it at that. Anything that you deem to be 'special', keep it out of reach. Which, pretty much means that they don't know it exists in the house.

keen1981 02-04-2013 02:11 PM

I'f be thankful they let me sleep! Lol!!

addicteddad 02-04-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981 (Post 16247524)
I'f be thankful they let me sleep! Lol!!

Love it!

It wouldn't bother me much. Doesn't seem "sneaky or dishonest". Just another chance to figure out what your kids were thinking and how they chose to act.

JennTheMomma 02-04-2013 02:17 PM

Sounds like they were just hungry, and at 4 years old, they may not understand what they did was "sneaky". I would just make sure you have the foods you want them to eat available and either don't buy or don't keep the other foods where they can get. My ds1 wakes up before I do, he's 5, and he helps himself to a pre breakfast snack. I only keep healthy food around so I know what he's snacking on (usually a banana). He doesn't ask or tell me, it's an indpendence thing.

Tris 02-04-2013 02:18 PM

Put all the crap food up high, give them a shelf in the fridge that they can pick off of. Both my girls feed themselves breakfast, they usually make themselves cereal, but sometimes do waffles (they wake me to get them out of the toaster). We also have an open snack policy until 3pm, apples/fruit cup, yogurt, cheese sticks, carrots etc. They've been doing this for about a year :)

s@hmommy 02-04-2013 02:18 PM

I don't think it is that big a deal. They were hungry when they got up and ate what they liked because you weren't there to say no. Little kids like to test boundaries, you just have to make sure they know that those treats are not an option next time and maybe point out some things in their reach that are ok to get on their own.