Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   S/O 5-W discussion: Herbal supplements for helping body prepare for birth... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488772)

NappyChappy 02-04-2013 05:30 PM

S/O 5-W discussion: Herbal supplements for helping body prepare for birth...

So I asked my MW what we could use to help ripen cervix and possibly bring on labor. She said borage oil, evening primrose oil, and red raspberry leaf. Last time we used EPO and RRL starting at 34 weeks and we had DS 1 day after edd.

I am not trying to have super early baby just like 37-38 weeks but, I won't do anything crazy like strip membranes or castor oil early.

What have you used? Was is successful?

homebirthmom 02-04-2013 05:38 PM

Re: Herbal supplements for helping body prepare for birth...

5 W. I have seen every single mom who has a previous section get their fast vaginal birth with this stuff as well as previous moms with long labors, go super fast. my friend just had a 3 hr birth and used it!! she had a 10lb baby too

nettepoet 02-05-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebirthmom (Post 16248400)
5 W. I have seen every single mom who has a previous section get their fast vaginal birth with this stuff as well as previous moms with long labors, go super fast. my friend just had a 3 hr birth and used it!! she had a 10lb baby too

what is it? 5 W? (because i neeeeeed to know!)

to the OP:
i use red raspberry leaf tea all pregnancy long to tone the uterus. with my first i took a series of homeopathic remedies in the last 4 weeks which were shown to speed labor. when i went past my dates by 8 days and my ob was threatening to induce, i drank castor oil and went into labor by midnight of the same day. my labor was less than 5 hrs and i did so sans meds or interventions.

my second is a different story but he was mal-positioned. i did the same things, including going over exactly 8 days (but i had midwives/homebirth so no pressure, only from me!) and drinking castor oil to evict baby. went into labor same evening but my labor was long and i wasnt dilating uniformly, baby was stuck for 4 hrs under my pubic bone and after all those hrs of pushing contractions stopped entirely. we thought i would have to transfer, so as a last resort the midwives put castor oil packs on my belly and i got extreme contractions which helped me get him out in 35 minutes (of pure agony). i think it would have been waaaay faster if he was properly aligned.

mommy2boys2007 02-05-2013 08:17 AM

I used 5W with my last birth and will for this one too. It s from natures sunshine
I started taking it at 36 weeks and she was born the day before my due date. My labor from start to finish was 3 hours. And the after birth pains were so much better and my bleeding was less.

NappyChappy 02-09-2013 04:39 PM

what is 5w?

EmilytheStrange 02-09-2013 08:40 PM

I think those things just help labor be efficient, etc.

They don't really work to induce labor earlier. Baby still comes when ready, just more efficiently.

EmilytheStrange 02-09-2013 08:42 PM

Oh, if you search 5w on amazon, it comes up. I'd link, but I'm on my phone and it's an app.

If you google it, it doesn't help :)

NappyChappy 02-10-2013 08:33 AM

5-W
Black Cohosh Rood
Squaw Vine
Dong Quai Root
Butcher Broom Root
Red Raspberry Leaves

Take 2 capsules 3x day with meals starting during week 35 of pregnancy.

So did you ladies take this in accordance to the directions? Did you also use Evening Primrose Oil vaginally?

sunnygirlmomof6 03-06-2013 05:17 AM

Re: S/O 5-W discussion: Herbal supplements for helping body prepare for birth...

I used 5 w last time and although I did not go early...it was the first time I did not hemorrhage after the birth. I just started taking this week for this birth. I am also taking EPO.