Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Venting - carseats and the school drop-off line (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488834)

musicalisa 02-04-2013 08:59 PM

Venting - carseats and the school drop-off line

Ugh, folks. I can't even tell you the crazy things I see on the school drop-off line every morning when I'm at my bus duty. I hardly have ANY students (this is an elementary school) who come to school in a proper booster or car seat. We're talking 6 year-olds in the front seat with no booster. It makes me CRAZY. I can't believe how many people utterly disregard the law when it comes to booster seats. I don't think I have a single second grader (age 7-8) who rides in a booster. Some of my first graders still do, but that seems to be about it.

Just venting here because out there IRL no one seems to think this is as big a deal... :banghead:

maramarrie 02-04-2013 09:59 PM

Re: Venting - carseats and the school drop-off line

If you are bold you could ask if they saw the Blind Side...and mention how the police officer made it clear that the son would have been injured or killed by the airbag because he was too small/young to be in the front.

Anyhow, I agree, it is frustrating to see so many people not using seats properly (or not properly restraining their kids). I have zero friends who ERF(ed). One girl who I am just getting to know is "trying" to ERF (thanks to my urging), but she will still loosely install her seats FF when she's in a hurry (one child is 19lb.). I helped her get one of the kids fastened in recently and the seat was loose...too loose. And she buckled them in with bulky coats....and the straps were twisted behind the seat cover...and the harness adjuster was stuck. It was a nightmare.

Computermama 02-05-2013 11:32 AM

It's the invincible "it'll never happen to me" mentality. Problem is, no one has a crystal ball. Yes, it probably won't. But it could happen tomorrow. I see it all the time, 8 month olds FF, 3 year olds in backless boosters, and 6 year olds in nothing but a poorly fitting seatbelt. All of it against the law, with the possible exception of the three year old in a backless booster if they're enormous (no age, just 40lbs limit).

s@hmommy 02-05-2013 11:36 AM

Is it the law in your state? DD's school will report parents for not using some form of booster for the younger kids (I can't remember what our state law is). Her teacher this year sent out a "reminder" at the beginning of the year because she was noticing too many kids not in a booster that are required to be by law.

jac1976 02-05-2013 11:42 AM

A few weeks ago my DS (2nd grade) was going on a field trip in parent driven cars. I sent him to school with his booster. When I picked him up that afternoon he complained that only one other student (out of 25) had a booster seat. (It just happened to be the police officer's son so I wasn't surprised.) I explained that he had to use the booster until it was safe to use the plain seat belt and that I couldn't help what other people did, but it was important in case we ever got into an accident.

That afternoon, on our way home, I was on the highway (going 65 mph) when there was an accident on the access road. The cars went over the curb and barged through a group of large orange construction signs which were then thrown into the highway and came at me head on. I managed to swerve to avoid a head on collision, but the sign hit my front passenger side and slid down the entire right side of my car- which just happens to be DS' side. The kids were frightened, but everyone was okay. DS hasn't given me any problems about his booster since.

neuro_mom 02-05-2013 11:49 AM

Could you notify your local police department? Sounds like they need to do a random safety belt check near the school.

I worry so much about car seats being installed correctly that I go to a local agency that will check the car seat for free. Better safe than sorry.

keen1981 02-05-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neuro_mom
Could you notify your local police department? Sounds like they need to do a random safety belt check near the school.

I worry so much about car seats being installed correctly that I go to a local agency that will check the car seat for free. Better safe than sorry.

This! Ours does a stop for parking violations!

ktmelody 02-05-2013 11:53 AM

Its really bad here. No one uses carseats for school agers.

My 9 year old and 7 year old still use high back boosters. My almost 6 year old is still harnessed and my younger two are of course still harnessed.

No one thinks the worst will happen to them. But it does. In fact just 3 weeks ago a 3 year old here was killed for being in a booster seat. It happened the day after we were in the hospital with my daughter (she was hit by a car) and the nurses said they see it almost every day here. :(

lilannies mama 02-05-2013 11:53 AM

Idk how people can do it I just can even imagine. We got a new car seat that rear & forward faces my dh is like let's turn her forward she will like it. Ok now dd is just 18 months old 20 pounds at last check up a few weeks ago & 32 inches tall. She hit the height limit on her infant seat & I could tell she was squished up. So got her a new one & I gave him a look & said I don't care what she will like as long as she's alive at the end of the day so she's rear facing til she's bigger. Good thing he didn't argue back lol!

carriek38 02-05-2013 01:24 PM

I can sympathize...I've been shopping for a combo seat for DD (nearly 3), as she's nearly at the limit for her convertible. She's giving me a hard time b/c she wants just a belt positioner b/c all of her 3 & 4 yo DC friends have that :eek: