Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   School Fundraiser - did I get ripped off? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488875)

mrspopo 02-05-2013 01:02 AM

School Fundraiser - did I get ripped off?

Back in September a couple of kids, maybe around 10 y/o, were selling things door to door for their elementary school fundraiser. We ordered a $16 box of cookie dough. They were a little vague on the details but it sounded like we were supposed to get them around Christmas time.

The check was cashed in October and went directly into the school's account. Christmas came and went, and we waited a few more weeks just in case things were running late but nothing showed up.

So I finally went to the school to inquire, and they gave me the contact info of the mom running the fundraiser. I called her and she sounded really confused because the items arrived in October. There were little cards that the kids were supposed to distribute that had info on how we could order the cookie dough (kids can't handle raw eggs ya'know). She sounded kinda dismissive because the cards had already gone out, and since I didn't know the boys' names she said she couldn't really help me.

I emailed her the details and a copy of the check, but it's been a week and I haven't heard back from her. Am I just out of luck? I don't mind making a donation to the school - this is the district we're in and my 1 year old may end up going there - but when you order something you kinda expect to get it. Is there anything I can do? I don't have any info on the company or even any paperwork from the boys. It's only $16, but I feel ripped off and that it shouldn't happen to anyone else. I kinda don't trust the school anymore. I never buy anything door-to-door, and DH doesn't either but I was shocked when he asked me for the checkbook. I guess he has a soft spot for little kids.

~happy2Bamommy~ 02-05-2013 05:54 AM

Re: School Fundraiser - did I get ripped off?

MY DH can't say no to little kids either. He has bought all sorts of things he doesn't even like :giggle:

I would call the mom back and describe the kids if you can remember any details. I'd ask the school if there is any way of seeing who went door to door as well.

I_run_with_scissors 02-05-2013 06:02 AM

id go back to the school and complain some more, the mom who ran the fundraiser cant give you your money back, and im guessing the cookie dough is gone. Id be super unimpressed too

Geckmumto3 02-05-2013 06:10 AM

I would totally make a stink. Sure it's only $16, but it's your $16. As someone who sits on a Council and runs fundraisers for our little school, I would want to know that this happened, and I would want to make it right. They need to learn how to prevent this from happening.

Fact is, you (and maybe others) would be less likely to support their fundraisers in the future if they don't try to make it right.

EmmaGM 02-05-2013 07:56 AM

Make a stink. If they keep blowing you off, let them know that you'll be letting others in the city know that the school stole your money. Why would anyone want to participate in their fundraisers knowing what they're doing to you? :sadno:

Antebellum 02-05-2013 09:47 AM

I would be livid, I ordered some thing from a friends childs school fundraiser when they were delivered to me the products which needed to be refrigerated due to raw eggs in them had been left in the mothers trunk for 2 days....in the summer....:banghead::yuck: and she didn't understand why I didn't want the items anymore?:headscratch:

syfitz 02-05-2013 09:56 AM

That has happened to me a couple of times. :( I now only buy from the neighborhood kids that I know.

monkeyscience 02-05-2013 10:00 AM

I don't know that I would throw a fit about it, but I would push to at least get an apology. And I would let them know that you won't be supporting their fundraisers in the future. I also wouldn't mind making a $16 donation, but the kids doing the fundraising need to know that they have to follow through with what they are selling. :(

lisaaag 02-05-2013 10:08 AM

I would go to the school and demand a refund. Your check was cashed. I wouldn't care who held the fundraiser it was through the school and they should be held accountable. I can't believe she's telling you that because you weren't responsible to get the boys names you're out your money, sorry that doesn't fly with me.

Sent from my Smartphone using DS Forum

Mom2Connor 02-05-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisaaag
I would go to the school and demand a refund. Your check was cashed. I wouldn't care who held the fundraiser it was through the school and they should be held accountable. I can't believe she's telling you that because you weren't responsible to get the boys names you're out your money, sorry that doesn't fly with me.

Sent from my Smartphone using DS Forum

Yes, this! I would be pissed.