Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Un-paper towel questions (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488884)

GreyMum 02-05-2013 04:22 AM

Un-paper towel questions

So, I'm one of those people that goes through several rolls of paper towels per week. I've never really used dish towels for cleaning counters, spills, etc. I'm ready to make the switch and want to order some bird's eye cotton towels from an etsy seller. How many should I get to start? Is getting white a bad idea? Do I bleach them? I tend to have laundry issues! Do you wash them separately if you don't bleach your other towels?

Thanks!

DottieHarley 02-05-2013 04:56 AM

Re: Un-paper towel questions

If you want to get pretty... yeah, Etsy all the way. But if you just want functional, I would get a big pack of "bar mops" from Target or such. Super cheap, absorbent, and when one gets bleach stained/food stained/gross... just toss.
I would NOT GET WHITE lol. I have some beautiful unpaper that I got in a trade - with white terry. Terry = great, white = not so much. You can totally tell which ones have been used to clean up after art projects...
I would advise med/dark colors and stain-hiding patterns whenever possible. Like I said, the white terry is not so pretty these days - but the other side is flannel lizards on black and looks fab.
The other thing we use is hand towels - like from bathroom towel sets KWIM? Easy peasy.
I wash with all our other rags/etc - I don't bleach too often, but do tend to use the "sanitize" wash setting.

Rhianna'sMommy 02-05-2013 05:24 AM

We got a big thing of shop towels from sams years ago. It was maybe $12 for either 24 or 36. They are white which has never been an issue for us. I keep a laundry basket on top the washer and toss in used towels and washclothes and wash them every couple of days. I use bleachmost every wash so they don't start smelling funky. Some are stained but stains don't bother me (and bleach gets out most stains). I fold them and stack them under the kitchen sink so no one usually sees them. If one gets ratty (rare) I just toss it.

maeus 02-05-2013 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DottieHarley (Post 16249848)
If you want to get pretty... yeah, Etsy all the way. But if you just want functional, I would get a big pack of "bar mops" from Target or such. Super cheap, absorbent, and when one gets bleach stained/food stained/gross... just toss.
I would NOT GET WHITE lol. I have some beautiful unpaper that I got in a trade - with white terry. Terry = great, white = not so much. You can totally tell which ones have been used to clean up after art projects...
I would advise med/dark colors and stain-hiding patterns whenever possible. Like I said, the white terry is not so pretty these days - but the other side is flannel lizards on black and looks fab.
The other thing we use is hand towels - like from bathroom towel sets KWIM? Easy peasy.
I wash with all our other rags/etc - I don't bleach too often, but do tend to use the "sanitize" wash setting.

:yeahthat: I bought a pack of bar mop towels at Walmart, and they work just fine. Some things I refuse to use anything but paper towels for, like wiping out the trash can, :yuck: but otherwise, they are sufficient for counters, floors, kids' faces, etc. Mine are white, but I don't have them on display, so I don't mind. I just use my other kitchen towels if I don't want guests to see a stained towel cleaning the area where they will eat. :goodvibes:

jbug_4 02-05-2013 06:28 AM

We got the cloths from Walmart too. Ditto the no white. As far as washing, I wash all towels together- including bath- with my washer set on whitest of white (the hottest setting with and extra rinse). No bleach. Everything else I wash on cold. The hottest setting helps keep the stale smell out my bath towels too. I keep a small plastic garbage can under my kitchen sink for kitchen towels. I hang wet ones over the edge then when they dry throw them in. I wash once or twice a week- whenever I wash my towels. I have nicer towels that are hanging on the oven handle to be used for drying hands and quick hand wipes. They only get used for that.

And since I am a little freaky about raw meat and chicken I keep regular paper towels to wipe the counter space where I worked with the raw meat or chicken. Thats just me though. Raw meat gives me the creeps.

danielle 02-05-2013 06:36 AM

I got three dozen birdseye towels from a co-op Athena Creates three years ago. I also use cloth napkins at every meal and dishtowels, so I find it easy to wash them. I don't use bleach. I run a cold rinse then a hot regular cycle.

Mine are "white," and have gotten not white, but they are in such good shape that I keep using them without much care for what they look like. They wipe up spills of all kinds so I don't expect them to stay pristine. Three dozen seems to have been the perfect amount.

danielle 02-05-2013 06:37 AM

Dp

shortcake2386 02-05-2013 06:42 AM

I use the Birdseye towels I make. I just made a new set aft four years bc I changed the colors in my kitchen and wanted the serving to match lol. The new ones have not been bleached yet and are three months old and look great, no stains even the ones I've cleaned up spaghetti with:/ I just rinsed those in the dink before washing on hot. Not so much to rinse to prevent stains as to get the sauce clumps off I don't usually rinse them, but no stains lol .

mg5g 02-05-2013 06:49 AM

I bought bar rags too but I also cut up some old towels that weren't very nice anymore. The old towels get used for things like cleaning windows, wiping the toilets etc - the bar rags are for things like wiping the table and counters.

Nerissa 02-05-2013 07:37 AM

I use the bar mop towels that you can get at Target/Walmart or Sams cheap and Flour sack towels and dish rags. We have lots.

I wash with my regular towels. I have white and colored ones.