Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Healthy Living and Weightloss (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   what could this be? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488909)

igotmywings 02-05-2013 08:15 AM

what could this be?

I recently got back into working out. I am having some issues with my right leg though. From my knee to my ankle when I am on the treadmill going suppper slow (or even faster for that matter) my right leg bone (well thats what it feels like at least) KILLS me. It's only when I am on the treadmill for some reason. I know its not the calf muscle that hurts it feels deeper then that (does this make sense?). I stretch 3 times a day. When I wake in the morning (5:00AM) when I go to the gym (6pm) and when I go to bed (midnight) and sometimes during my lunch and usually after a hard workout (I don't really count though) Is there a different kind of stretch I could do to work this out? Or is it something I need to get checked out? I admit I am never go to the doctor for anything so when I "need" to go I am kind of oblivious.

lyn1270 02-05-2013 02:45 PM

Re: what could this be?

my non-medical guess....but coming from a mama who has run her fair share of 5ks and has knee issues....i'd say it was shin splints or maybe even a knee issue. i know the knee issue sounds weird, but seriously, a slightly torn meniscus can make your calf area hurt. i, too rarely, if ever go to the doc. if it were me, i'd keep up the stretching, and maybe stretch after the workout too. then ice if needed and when you can. if it doesn't get better in a couple of weeks, then maybe go to the doc. also, try taking some arnica (homeopathic, can find in a whole foods/natural foods store or on-line). arnica is good for bruises/bumps/stresses. it could help. hth :)

jessnic 02-05-2013 03:08 PM

It sounds like shin splints. Look up stretches for shin splints and it should help a lot. I would see a doctor for your knee if it is really hurting just since I am not skilled with joint injuries.

igotmywings 02-05-2013 04:12 PM

Thanks you guys from the little bit of searching Ive done it does seem to be the issue. I may go get my knee checked out anyways because its been cracking a lot (that was pre-working out buuut yeah)

mom2LBJ 02-06-2013 08:16 AM

I'd also look into getting your gait assessed and shoes. Before running 1/2 marathons & training for fulls I used to just grab whatever shoes and hit the road :blush: Once I got to 5-6 miles daily I had horrible shin splints and pain in one knee. I went on to compression leg sleeves, but they just helped relive the pain and didn't solve the problem. I then had my gait re assessed (it had been years) and changed shoes. I trained for a better midfoot strike and the shin splints stopped. I still run in my compression socks as they help with my leg cramps before & after my runs. I find that if my calves hurt, my shins are sure to hurt too. I also love my foam rollers & sticks to help massage any stiffness out. A shoe rotation also helps me relive soreness by staying fresh in shoes with a different feel.

igotmywings 02-06-2013 01:33 PM

Ive never heard of having your gait assessed till now. I made an appointment for next weekend (their earliest). Thanks for the insight though! It very well could be my shoes. I literally just grab whatever shoes (they are running shoes but you get the point) and just put them on. So it would not surprise me at all