Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   How to get ink out of clothing?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488950)

dancingingrace 02-05-2013 10:13 AM

How to get ink out of clothing??

DH gave our 2yo DD a pen to write with last night...:banghead:. Needless to say, she got it all over her shirt, which was brand new. I know a 2yo's clothing is going to get stained, but I would like to have at least a few nice pieces for her to wear when we go out, instead of her always looking like a little orphan! :giggle: Anyway, do I have any hope of getting this out? I've always heard hairspray for ink, but how do you do it? I think I've tried it before where I sprayed the hairspray on the ink and then washed it, but the ink didn't come out that time. I did just spray hairspray on all the ink spots a few minutes ago, but do I let it sit, try to scrub it out before washing, or..??? Any other suggestions? TIA!

somo_chickenlady 02-05-2013 10:28 AM

Re: How to get ink out of clothing??

Lay it flat with a cloth underneath (one you wont mind getting stained) then pour some rubbing alcohol over stains. Start dabbing with another cloth and it should start to come out. Once it is out rinse then wash.

ohgirlohboyohno 02-05-2013 10:31 AM

be sure to do any "scrubbing" from the back....so you are pressing the stain back out the side it got on vs. pressing all the way through the shirt/fabric.

canadianbakers 02-05-2013 02:27 PM

acetone (just in normal nail polish remover) works awesome. put some on a cloth (or a make up pad works great), turn the garment inside out, put a cloth (or, again, make up pad - but something you don't mind getting the ink on) on the right side of the garment, then dab/press on the wrong side of the ink stain. It'll transfer onto the other cloth :thumbsup:

mommyofhjm 02-05-2013 03:18 PM

Hairspray always works for me.

Rdesonia 02-05-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianbakers (Post 16252107)
acetone (just in normal nail polish remover) works awesome. put some on a cloth (or a make up pad works great), turn the garment inside out, put a cloth (or, again, make up pad - but something you don't mind getting the ink on) on the right side of the garment, then dab/press on the wrong side of the ink stain. It'll transfer onto the other cloth :thumbsup:

Acetone is bad for synthetic fibers. It can "melt" them.

Rubbing alcohol works on all fabrics. Blot, blot, blot, blot, blot till it is gone. (Rubbing alcohol might remove the color from silk and cause a weird light spot. It's the only fabric I ever had a problem with. I just soaked the whole thing in alcohol and it equalized to a all over lighter color. :giggle2:)

amegrl520 02-05-2013 05:26 PM

Spray oxyclean on it and wash :)

dancingingrace 02-05-2013 07:14 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions....I sprayed the hairspray on them, sprayed some Shout on one (the only spray stain remover I have in the house at the moment), and tried the alcohol. The stains are still there, but I haven't washed them yet for fear of setting the stains in, so I'll try some more blotting with alcohol. Hopefully the combination of all those things won't undo any potential progress! Thanks, mamas! :goodvibes:

mevans 02-05-2013 10:42 PM

My DH was changing the printer ink and somehow it sprayed onto the carpet, myself and DD (whose outfit was only on its second wear). The carpet came clean fine, but not our clothes. I'll try the alcohol tomorrow!