Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Desk and file reorganization-what to keep? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489024)

happysmileylady 02-05-2013 01:02 PM

Desk and file reorganization-what to keep?

I am in the middle of reorganizing our computer desk and files. They have been a mess, a total mess, for a while, so really I am just cleaning them up.

Having said that, I have a couple drawers of files that do still have files in them. And I am trying to decide what to keep and what to pitch.

For example, I had a car catch fire in 2000. Do I keep those records? What about records from an accident in 2003?

How far back do I keep tax records, 7 yrs or 10 yrs?

Any other tips you might have on organizing the files, what files or categories to have, how far back to keep stuff, etc etc etc

tallanvor 02-05-2013 01:13 PM

Re: Desk and file reorganization-what to keep?

I would think 7 years is plenty. That is what I have always been told. If you have the option, you consider scanning the files and saving them on a thumb drive or external hard drive so you don't have to keep the papers.

happysmileylady 02-05-2013 01:28 PM

Gah, my head hurts. I set aside 2 hrs to do this today. It took half an hour just to get everything down in a consolidated pile. I have had a headache all day today and it's making it very difficult to think clearly about doing this.

I went looking for organizing blogs to get some idea of categories etc. I found lots of CUTE ideas...and I want to do them all...but I don't have the time or money right now. And I need it organized, cute or not.

My head hurts. I don't think this is going to get done today. Just not in the right frame of mind.

Rdesonia 02-05-2013 01:41 PM

Taxes for 7 years. (with all supporting documents like W2's, 1099's, and receipts)

Insurance claims (if paid and settled in full) I wouldn't think you would need it more than 3 years after the payout/settlement(typically that is how long accidents/claims count on your insurance record.)

I keep bills for 6 months. But you could purge those monthly after the bill posts as paid. DH writes the "Paid, date,check #" on them and files them as paid. I don't pay the bills so it would be easier if you paid them to purge as you go unless you are disputing something. I might keep it longer if you are on a payment plan or something.

I only keep receipts if I plan to use them for taxes. Otherwise they get stapled to warranty info. I purge that file yearly as warranties expire.

I have files for : need to file, bills paid (keep medical bills for 1 year), medical (separated by individual-medical records/doctor cards in case we need that info/ vaccination records etc), car (with auto insurance (current)and titles), personal (separated by individual with BC, SS cards, school info /diplomas, DH's army stuff, etc), Taxes by year, Bank accounts (this is for all bank statements, retirement, stocks,old check books), Resume (with work history, work training, certificates etc), Warranties & product info, Misc

Some of this stuff like bank statements, old check books, and auto insurance you don't need to keep as you can access that online. I just like having it on paper.