Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Online Schools (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489042)

kstar 02-05-2013 01:55 PM

Online Schools

After doing my own research for the last five days I am overwhelmed and feel as though I am getting no where :banghead: I am looking for information, recommendations, and reputations of online schools as well as the degrees actual worth. I just finished my A.A through University of Phoenix and want to start on my Bachelors majoring in business, needless to say I will not be continuing with UofP for that program.

The schools I am considering now include American Military University, Excelsior College, and Troy University. I have been looking into State Universites that offer distance learning classes in business but havent found much. If anyone knows anything about the above mentioned schools (good or bad) or have a degree from there please let me know if you have been succesful or unsuccesful finding a job. If at your job you are a position to hire personnel or know them can you tell me how degrees from these schools are viewed?

Thank you so much for reading :goodvibes:

elabela 02-05-2013 03:17 PM

Re: Online Schools

I don't know the American set up, though it seems there are many more "Scam" schools than we have here in Canada. My only advice is to go through an accredited brick and mortar university.

Here almost every university offers distance education, and your degree looks the same as someone who went to class every day.

meeshkasheeba 02-05-2013 03:31 PM

Out of curiosity, what are you going to do with a Business degree?

Only 02-05-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elabela
I don't know the American set up, though it seems there are many more "Scam" schools than we have here in Canada. My only advice is to go through an accredited brick and mortar university.

Here almost every university offers distance education, and your degree looks the same as someone who went to class every day.

I agree with this.

I know a few people who have went to the scam schools and wasted a ton of money.

I am at an actual brick and mortar university. They offer seated and online classes, both of which I do. It's worked out well.

kstar 02-05-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meeshkasheeba (Post 16252391)
Out of curiosity, what are you going to do with a Business degree?

I dont have any one particular job or position in mind actually Im going for a degree in Business Administration for the flexibility and versatility of it since we move every three ish years and I wont hold a job in one place for very long

MyLovely 02-05-2013 05:41 PM

OP, Northern Arizona University has an online business administration program. The PPs are right, all of the schools you posted are for-profit and a huge waste of money. Go with a brick and mortar school that offers degrees online. Your diploma won't say "online", since the programs are actually credible, and your money will be so much better spent.

Angel89411 02-05-2013 05:47 PM

Have you considered western governors university? Full accredited non profit school. They have many happy students, great resources, lots of good reviews. Employers take their degree and they are fully online. They are different than other online schools. I am loving them right now. It works so well for me. DS1 is home sick? I am free without issues!

z2akids 02-05-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyLovely (Post 16252922)
OP, Northern Arizona University has an online business administration program. The PPs are right, all of the schools you posted are for-profit and a huge waste of money. Go with a brick and mortar school that offers degrees online. Your diploma won't say "online", since the programs are actually credible, and your money will be so much better spent.

I agree completely.

There are lots of public universities that offer online coursework. Many programs are even designed to be done entirely online. In addition there are lots of private non-profit universities that do the same thing. These are fully accredited universities and their degrees will transfer anywhere. You need to find out whether the coursework you take at one of these for profits will be accepted if you ever needed to transfer those credits. These for profit degrees are not as respected generally as traditional university degrees. In a competitive job market, everything else being equal, the person with the traditional university degree has a leg up.

twinmomstl 02-05-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstar (Post 16252674)
I dont have any one particular job or position in mind actually Im going for a degree in Business Administration for the flexibility and versatility of it since we move every three ish years and I wont hold a job in one place for very long

FWIW, you will probably need a MBA to get a decent job. So many people have business degrees and the job market is shot. Just getting a business degree for versatility isn't probably the best choice. You may want to look into other degree options that may make you more marketable. Business degrees are a dime a dozen.

myoo 02-05-2013 07:24 PM

When considering a school, find the answer to two questions:

1) Is it non-profit? If it is for-profit, run away.

2) Is it regionally accredited? Do not consider a school that is NOT regionally accredited. All schools will say they are fully accredited/nationally accredited/etc, but are not REGIONALLY accredited, and that's the only one that matters. If it is not regionally accredited, you are wasting your money, IMO. It means that your credits would not transfer to reputable schools and that employers would likely look down on your degree.

http://www.chea.org/Directories/regional.asp Here is a list of the regional accrediting bodies. For a school located in Arizona, you would need to look for accreditaton by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Here is a list of the schools in AZ that are regionally accredited: http://www.ncahlc.org/component/com_...submit,Search/ Of course, if you're doing distance ed, you may also be considering schools based out of other states.