Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Grandparents watching kids? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489085)

aylasmommy 02-05-2013 03:41 PM

Grandparents watching kids?

I'll be heading back to work mid April and have considered asking my mom to watch DD and DS. She already watches DD On Friday's when DD doesn't have school, but this would be much more! My mom needs to work to survive (you know, pay for bills) so I'm wondering, those of you that have the grandparents watch your kids, do you compensate them? What about of it's part time only?

UVASahm 02-05-2013 03:46 PM

I know my mom paid my grandparents to watch us full time. It was great having my grandparents watch us and it helped them out financially. I think she paid them $600 a month but that was 20 years ago

abunchoflemons 02-05-2013 03:58 PM

Re: Grandparents watching kids?

friend said she tries to gicve enough to feel like it helps suppliment other work yet what they can afford....

stevensmom 02-05-2013 04:17 PM

My inlaws watched DS for 2 years while I was teaching. I offered to pay them and they refused.

but if she needs the money they I'd be paying her even if she says no.

stevensmom 02-05-2013 04:18 PM

dp

USNsis 02-05-2013 04:48 PM

My FIL will be our full-time manny when I go back to work. He currently lives with us and pays for room/board/food/cable/utilities each month, in addition to having one of our vehicles to drive around (he pays for gas/insurance). This was down from an original amount he offered us. We are not planning to compensate him because he was originally supposed to (his offer) pay twice what he currently pays and because he's getting a good deal for all of the space and services as it is.

If he were living outside of our home, we would compensate him for travel and care, but we largely support him at this time. He wouldn't be able to support himself independently at this time.

As for time, I'm a teacher and work 5 minutes from home, so it will be typical work hours that he's "on." He largely sits at home now, so it's not a super huge lifestyle change for him. My husband's hoping to start working four 10s, so if that happens my FIL won't be working 5 days a week.

aylasmommy 02-06-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USNsis
My FIL will be our full-time manny when I go back to work. He currently lives with us and pays for room/board/food/cable/utilities each month, in addition to having one of our vehicles to drive around (he pays for gas/insurance). This was down from an original amount he offered us. We are not planning to compensate him because he was originally supposed to (his offer) pay twice what he currently pays and because he's getting a good deal for all of the space and services as it is.

If he were living outside of our home, we would compensate him for travel and care, but we largely support him at this time. He wouldn't be able to support himself independently at this time.

As for time, I'm a teacher and work 5 minutes from home, so it will be typical work hours that he's "on." He largely sits at home now, so it's not a super huge lifestyle change for him. My husband's hoping to start working four 10s, so if that happens my FIL won't be working 5 days a week.

We have considered this type of scenario. It would however require all of us to move and into the right place. We've lived together before and it was a disaster. I just wonder if it's really the best option for her. Even if she doesn't have house bills to pay, she wouldn't have money to spend on other things.

USNsis 02-06-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aylasmommy (Post 16254312)
We have considered this type of scenario. It would however require all of us to move and into the right place. We've lived together before and it was a disaster. I just wonder if it's really the best option for her. Even if she doesn't have house bills to pay, she wouldn't have money to spend on other things.

He's lived with us since we got to CO a few years ago, so he's been with us before baby as well. We recently moved into a home we purchased which is now smaller with baby on the way, but it'll work for the time being. Luckily, living with FIL has been pretty agreeable for us. We're military, so it's helpful to have someone else there when DH or I is gone. My FIL has minimal bills out of pocket, probably only his cell phone, and he sells at a local antique mall on the side.

Nerissa 02-06-2013 09:17 AM

For full time care I would pay grandparents unless they really won't take it. If that is the case they I would "pay" them someother way.

for example--my mom has watched our kids a lot over the years. We have never had to pay for a babysitter outside daycare, so when her dishwasher broke we bought her (2/3 of the cost) a new one.

amandajiggles 02-06-2013 10:11 AM

My parents watch my daughter while DH and I work. I am on mat leave until August and Dd1 will be in Jk come Sept. They will likely watch our new babe, and DD1 before/after school. They are on a fixed income (step dad is on disability) so neither of them work. We do not pay them, because a) they likely wouldn't claim it as income and we would not get to claim those costs. And b) they will not take money from us for child care. We do help out with gas money, vehicle repairs..we pay cost for parts as DH is a mechanic. Weaalso paid half for their truck. I buy them lots of groceries and help in any other way I can (altering clothes...pickingbtjings up for the house etc.). If anything ever happens to my step sad (he us in verge poor health, we will likely put an in-law suite in for my Mom and support her while she cares for our kids.