Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Help! Our vacuum is dead :( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489089)

pgkcb13 02-05-2013 04:44 PM

Help! Our vacuum is dead :(

DH wants a dyson :banghead: he swears it will last longer (our previous vacuums last like 2 years). We need something with a hepa filter that can handle a lot of cat hair...

Anyone have any advice? Anyone had a dyson longer than a couple years? Know of a cheaper vacuum that lasts/works well? Know of any sales?

We *so* can't afford a new vacuum right now, but not sure what choice we have...

Rockinmama24 02-05-2013 05:05 PM

We've had our Dyson for atleast 3 years. I love it. I also have an Oreck & an Aerus Electrolux(the way, way expensive one) & while I do use the Electrolux once a week on my hard floors, I use the Dyson every day. We have 2 cats.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

KaleidoscopeEyes 02-05-2013 06:02 PM

I just got a used rainbow for $100 and its amazing. My family still has theirs and is almost 20 years old.

MunkyCrazy 02-05-2013 06:51 PM

Re: Help! Our vacuum is dead :(

I love our Shark Navigator. We got a refurbished one from woot for $80 3 years ago.

jes750 02-05-2013 06:56 PM

We have had our Dyson for around a year and havent had any issues (we dont have animals though) I use it almost daily. I certainly wouldn't spend the costly amount for another Dyson if this one were to die. It's nothing special IMO.

homebirthmom 02-05-2013 06:58 PM

i agree dyson is nothing fancy and I think the price was insane. I sold it recently and got a shark navigator and like it way more. the suction on the hose is fantastic too. $149 at target plus $20 gift card

slimy72 02-05-2013 07:00 PM

I've had my dyson for 6 years and it's starting to die. I'm not sure I'd get another just because I don't think they are really worth the price. I have the Purple animal one and I have two big dogs, one long haired one short haired.

Resellmybelle 02-05-2013 07:00 PM

We are going on around 5 years for our dyson animal, have had no problems and are constantly impressed with how much more it picks up than our previous machines. Have had zero issues and like the fact that the filters do not need replacing only washing.

this is the model we bought and used a 20% off from bed bath and beyond.

We have 4 dogs, 2 cats and we are very frequent users, like multiple times some days. This machine has been a workhorse for us.

Mom and Dad got the Kompressor from LG, they like theirs a lot. It is also highly recommended by consumer reports.

ETA: I just checked our Craigslist and found $100 dyson that's 2 years old. Maybe at would be the way to go to try one out before you invest in a high dollar one.

BinahYeteirah 02-05-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MunkyCrazy (Post 16252965)
I love our Shark Navigator. We got a refurbished one from woot for $80 3 years ago.

I just bought one of these today. Several of the reviews on Amazon compare Shark vacuums favorably with Dysons. I bought mine at Bed, Bath, & Beyond. The prices are the same everywhere, including Amazon, so using one of the 20% off coupons at BB&B seems to be the best deal for new ones.

itiswhatitis1984 02-05-2013 07:07 PM

We've had our dyson for about 5 years. I thought it was going to be the best vacuum ever...5 years down the road I HATE mine :( we have a dog and the belt is at the brush so my dogs hair always gets clumped around it. Then it makes a weird noise and I know it's time to take off the bottom and dig out the fist full if hair. Also when I empty it in the garbage there's a huge cloud of dust. They might have changed and helped the belt issue but the cloud of dust & dirt when emptying it is a common issue with bag less. I want to get a bag type of vacuum now.