Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Medicaid and OOPS! I didn't make it to the hospital birth.. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489092)

Andbabymakes2 02-05-2013 03:52 PM

Medicaid and OOPS! I didn't make it to the hospital birth..

Yeah, soooo I really want a hb, but I have medicaid. I'm wondering if I "accidentally" don't make it to the hospital in time, if they will still cover my prenatal appts. and any aftercare I choose to have if we go to the hosp afterwards? I know dh keeps saying we will just go last minute (we live 5 minutes tops from the hosp) but idk. I've had a hosp birth before as well as a hb. My last one started out as u/c but ended up transfering to hosp after labor stalled out.

Any input on the subject would be welcome. This is my first time with medicaid.
Also, if I kindly deny any treatments to baby, can they deny us as well? (like vitK , heel pricking, etc)

mommycass 02-05-2013 04:29 PM

Re: Medicaid and OOPS! I didn't make it to the hospital birth..

I think it depends on the OB you go to. I was open with mine from the beginning that we were doing a homebirth. She was supportive. I did ask about specifics if I were to go to the hospital and she was pretty up front that they would push certain things because of legalities for the hospital. My whole pregnancy I saw the OB 4-5 times. I started seeing my midwife at 25 wks.
Are you afraid that if you go to your prenatals but have a homebirth they will send you a bill for the prenatal expenses?

Miss_Mommy 02-05-2013 04:32 PM

They pay for your prenatal care when the doctor bills them, so as long as they're billing monthly, you're good to go. There are many moms out here who didn't make it to the hospital in time and still were covered by state insurance. I had CO medicaid when I gave birth last time, I denied pretty much everything. They can't deny you as labor is considered an emergent situation, so the hospital will have to take you in. You can tell them that you thought you had plenty of time, and all of a sudden needed to push. It happens a lot.

ETA: As long as any appointment you make after birth is needed for your health (6 wk pp visit, birth control visit, etc), they will cover it as well.

ETA again lol: I only did the PKU test with my last son, no vit k, no hep b shot, nothing.

homebirthmom 02-05-2013 04:37 PM

in our state, I know many mothers who use the medicaid for some prenatal care, ultrasounds and back up emergency care then have a homebirth on purpose... many times unassisted. the insurance covered everything

bigmamakelsey 02-05-2013 04:40 PM

Yes, it should cover it. Especially if it's an "accident" ;)

shortcake2386 02-05-2013 04:43 PM

sis didnt make it to the hospital with her 4th, she went in when she was about 30 minutes old:giggle: medicaid still covered everything but L&D was CLUELESS about what to do with a baby who was already out:banghead:

cheezpoofs 02-05-2013 05:30 PM

Does your state's Medicaid cover midwife-assisted home birth? New York does as long as the midwife is willing to bill and accept their rates.

Andbabymakes2 02-05-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommycass (Post 16252607)
Are you afraid that if you go to your prenatals but have a homebirth they will send you a bill for the prenatal expenses?

Yes, this is what I am concerned about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheezpoofs (Post 16252868)
Does your state's Medicaid cover midwife-assisted home birth? New York does as long as the midwife is willing to bill and accept their rates.

Even if they did, there is no midwife close enough to us. We moved here right before I had my ds,and had checked then (thus the u/c). I won't even call my family this go round b/c I don't want anyone there but dh and me and the kids.

I am also wondering if I can get my tubes tied per Medicaid too?? This baby was an oops, and we cannot afford anymore lo's. :blush:

Rdesonia 02-05-2013 05:58 PM

Before I went to get a tubal, I'd check into essure or a V for the DH. A tubal is surgery and there are other options available. Call and ask what they cover.

Andbabymakes2 02-05-2013 06:21 PM

Dh won't do it.