Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Tips on Potty Training a boy? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489111)

Momof3ri 02-05-2013 04:37 PM

Tips on Potty Training a boy?

My 4 year old girl is potty trained and it was way too easy. I was pregnant with my third child and she was so excited! Which is why it was easy.

My son very good with it and isn't that great at listening. I'm not sure how to go about it with him. He is 3 years old. I'm sure by now he is ready. I am so not going to get pregnant again just to make potty training easy. lol

I just hate changing his diapers. I feel bad saying it but It is just awful.

Help.

strongwoman 02-05-2013 10:04 PM

Re: Tips on Potty Training a boy?

Don't worry mama, you won't have to get preggers again to get the kid potty trained :) If you are really done with diapers, I mean DONE DONE, I would recommend reading Oh Crap Potty Training which you can buy at www.jamieglowacki.com. Seriously $15 and two days of reading her book helped me to ditch the diapers without having to give little rewards and really know the steps to getting DS2 (2 yo) potty trained (DS1 was trained without having read the book and now I can see where I made all the mistakes). I started right before Christmas and he's been diaper free since then. I had been PTing on and off when he was 18 months but was preggers with #3 so it was really frustrating. Once #3 came along and I was healed I decided to take the plunge, bought the book, and went for it. And life without toddler sized diapers/poops/pees has been wonderful (as you already know :). Anyway, get the book, log onto the OCPT forum and say goodbye to diapers!

apboyles 02-06-2013 12:51 AM

We also did the Oh Crap Potty Training method, started Nov. 1st and it worked FANTASTICALLY! It took about two weeks to get the pooping down. Now he only has an accident if he plays too hard, I think the last time he had one was probably about three weeks ago. He does wet the bed about once every 2-3 weeks which is only when I'm not paying attention to what he's drinking. And he won't poop in public even though he has before, I think its b/c the toilet is too big and he likes his little potty better.

Basically I just committed myself to her method and even when I was frustrated and wanted to give up continued with it. Good luck!

hpfgirl 02-06-2013 01:50 AM

We also did Oh Crap. Loved it.

We got a copy of the Baby Signing time video called "Potty Time". My son LOVES it and still asks to watch it. I think it helped because instead of nagging him, I could get his attention quite easily by singing one of the songs.

Nerissa 02-06-2013 07:08 AM

Both my boys potty trained between 3 and 3.5 One was hard because we listened to everyone that said he should be PT at 2 and it was one battle after another w/lots of tears on all sides.

DS2 was easy. We waited till he was 3 and then started doing naked time at home and diapers out and about. He got it pretty quickly. Very few accidents maybe a couple. When out and about and daycare he was in a diaper but we (DCP and us) offered the potty when someone else was going. It was a breeze. after about a month he was in underware full time and no accidents. Night was a little longer just cause I was more worried about it and he was usually dry in the morning. Once he was dry every morning for a month he went to underware. Pretty sure he didn't have any night accidents.

elmojr 02-06-2013 07:23 AM

My 28 month old son is no where ready to potty train. He could care less if he is soaked. My daughter was fully potty trained by 28 months both day & night. Don't get me wrong occasionally she has an accident, but it seems to only be when we travel and her routine is disturbed. I'm gonna have to check out the book you ladies mentioned above. I really don't want two kids in diapers here in a couple months. I always hear that boys train later than girls, but older people say like my 80 year-old grandma say that kids should be potty trained by 12 months old. I say when they are ready, they are ready.

Cutebabybutts 02-07-2013 10:27 AM

Ugh i'm having the same problem with my son. He has no desire to potty train but man those diapers are brutal. The daycare has started working with him and they put underwear on over his pull ups to get him excited about wearing big boy undies.

katiebird 02-10-2013 10:33 PM

Sometimes you just have to wait until they're ready tbh. 3 is still pretty young, give it a shot but if he doesn't seem to figure it out pretty quickly I would back off and try again in a few months. As obnoxious it is to change diapers (so with you there!!) it's more annoying to clean accidents :(

7mom7 02-10-2013 11:14 PM

We started with my oldest at 27 months and he was compliant and tried his best but realistically we were just potty training ourselves b/c we had to ask him to go constantly. We waited with our second son and played it up really big. We explained that when he was 3 we were getting undies and he'd be using the potty. Occasionally before he was 3 he'd tell us he needed to go, mostly b/c he saw big brother doing it. We're a couple of weeks in and he's doing pretty well considering we've just left it up to him. I put him in pull-ups when we are out running errands and at night but when he's home he's in undies. Fortunately he's never had a poop accident but he has had about 10 pee accidents. He's had a lot more successes though and I think he's really close to figuring it all out. When he has an accident we talk about how it feels yucky to go pee in your undies and that we need to go potty in the toilet. With my kids, they both know if they were in pull-ups that it would "catch" the pee and they wouldn't even try to go potty. We made a big deal about going to the store and letting him pick out his own underwear. We explained when the "big day" was several times. He really understood what was coming and what to expect. I'd lead up to it for a couple of weeks and then just jump right in. We did a lot of rewards with my older son but my younger son doesn't respond to stickers or stamps in the same way.

WinterBaby 02-16-2013 10:55 AM

Another vote for Oh Crap Potty Training! I did that with my second and it worked so much better than how we trained #1. I think it only gets harder as they get older, so take the plunge! There's a lot of naked time involved in this method in the beginning and you have to be committed. But it really did work! As another person mentioned, there's an online forum where you can get help. She also has a call-in radio show on Tuesdays.