Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Moms of Many or Multiples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   7,8,or 9 passenger van? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489123)

KCmomma 02-05-2013 06:14 PM

7,8,or 9 passenger van?

We found out today that we are expecting twins, so now we are trying to figure out what van to get. We are the kind of family that likes to buy out right and keep it well pretty much forever. We will be a family of 6, but I'm not 100% sure this will be my last pregnancy. If we get a 7 or 8 passenger we will go with a minivan which I like because of fuel economy. I am worried about cargo room and room to go with the minivan though. (We normally take cross country road trips each summer.) With a 9 passenger we would have room to grow and be able to have other people in the car ( carpool for the older kids school). The fuel economy scares me and for what I'm finding online we would more than likely have to get a loan in order to get the 9 passenger. Any suggestions or advice?

Erin1712 02-19-2013 08:37 PM

Re: 7,8,or 9 passenger van?

We have mini van and we are a family of 5 soon to be 6. One way we have combated the storage situation is a roof top bag. The soft ones so we can pack stuff of different sizes and not need to be a certain shape to close. Also it makes us really think about what we need to bring. I used to over pack! This last summer we took my husbands car on a road trip with 3 kids and 2 adults. we brought all we needed including cloth diapers and had room. We just needed to make sure we packed good. 4 days of stuff for us all and a stroller ect. All in a trunk.

My biggest advice is to get a van that is extended. My moms van is not extended and there is only enough room to lay a shoe box between the back seat and the van door. My van however has room to stow and go (older model) behind the back seat. Which means there is enough room to lay a stroller down between the back door and seat. And pile as high as you need!

thekuligs 02-20-2013 10:05 AM

A minivan worked for us when we were a family of 6--and though I eventually got all the seats in right we had really outgrown it when we became a family of 7. We are in the process of buying a 12-15 pass van now because we also road trip (husband is in the military) and it was a nightmare. We had to use the roof rack which killed has mileage anyway.

alphacyg 06-20-2013 07:33 PM

We have a Honda Pilot that seats our 6 (smallish) children fairly well. Looking for a 12 passenger van before fall, for #7.

yellowitchgrl 06-20-2013 07:40 PM

I found a minivan extremely restrictive with 5 car seats (it was an 8 passenger) fwiw w. my kids and the kids I babysit.

wyatt09 06-20-2013 07:58 PM

can peoplelist some names of the vans that are bigger..im lookingtoo

yellowitchgrl 06-20-2013 08:12 PM

I got a Nissan NV 12 passenger not that long ago and just posted a review

Macyllehub 06-20-2013 08:58 PM

Not a van, but we own a 9 seater suburban and I cannot say enough great things about it. We do a lot of outdoor things, camping, hiking, etc and a van would not be a good fit for us for that reason.

We have successfully fit 6 car seats and 3 adults in our vehicle. It was AWESOME! We only have 4 of our own children for now but hope to add to that :)

yellowitchgrl 06-20-2013 09:02 PM

I'm not sure I would find out van all that restrictive since it's built on the Nissan Titan (ie truck) frame. But that will be interesting to find out since we do camp a lot. However I don't miss my massive silverado. Most of the time we don't need 4WD to go camping :)

mommax7 06-21-2013 03:22 PM

We bought a Sienna the first year Toyota offered an 8 seater ('04) and have loved it. We have 6 kids now and are expecting #7 so we are finally outgrowing it and are looking to likely buy a Nissan NV.

We have 3 Radian carseats across the middle row of the Sienna now with a booster in the back and 2 kids that don't need carseats in the back. We have slid the middle row as far forward as it goes and the older kids (11, 9.5 and almost 8) can easily slide into the back seat.