Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Packing Lunches for Daycare (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489156)

Huxley 02-05-2013 06:58 PM

Packing Lunches for Daycare

In less than two months my daughter will be a year old and she will have to go to daycare. I'm heartbroken to say the least. Our year went by too fast. I'm sending my daughter to a centre. She will be one of five babies in the baby room (two adults assigned them)

The centre offers meals and milk to the children. I will still be breastfeeding, but due to my poor pumping output I may send Goat milk. I'm worried about the meals. I try to feed my daughter organic (when possible) and locally grown/ game meats. We do no lunch meats, nothing with dye, no high fructose corn syrup, little wheat, and just healthy foods. I doubt the daycare will be as strict as I am.

My question: is it unreasonable to pack her food everyday and ask them to not feed her anything else? I also do little plastic. Should I send her metal utensils and her stainless sippy cup?

Am I being crazy?

jjordan 02-05-2013 07:34 PM

Re: Packing Lunches for Daycare

It wouldn't hurt to ask, but you have to decide ahead of time how important this is to you. If you do a simple phone call, "what is your policy on children bringing their own lunch?" then I can't imagine them thinking twice about it. If you start laying down the law, "she is only to eat what I provide, nothing else. ever. She is never to use plastic anything. ever. (etc etc)," well, then you might be labeled as a troublesome/crazy mom right off the bat. (Then again they might not blink an eye, but you never know!)

So, like I said, I'd figure out how important it is to you before you start anything, and then have a plan for how much you're going to push and what, exactly, you're going to request.

EmilytheStrange 02-05-2013 07:43 PM

it's not unreasonable (as long as it's within their policies) to provide her with her own food and utensils.

but.. like jjordan said, you're going to have to decide how important it is to you. Chances are very very good that your child is going to snack on some of the things you don't provide. Even if the providers very carefully give her her own snacks, she will likely snatch some other snacks and as she gets older, might insist on having whatever the other kids are having.

I remember the first time my daughter got a bit of someone else's snack at a playgroup. It was sugary! and dyed! and not what I wanted her to have. But.... we both survived. She still prefers fruit and veggies over most 'snack' items.

Kimmyann 02-05-2013 07:51 PM

Ask the center what their policy is. The second center we were at didn't allow outside food to be brought in without a doctors note. They made "food" on the premises and parents had to pay 40 dollars a month for meals..the only way to opt out was to get a doctors note stating your child had an food allergy of some sort. I know my sons school didn't use any utensils everything was finger foods.

Huxley 02-05-2013 07:57 PM

I'm already the crazy mom because I admitted to cosleeping. I am not an aggressive person and I would never make demands, but what my dd eats is really important to me. In a perfect world I'd be a stay at home mom and this wouldn't be a worry.

I visited te daycare once and they were totally fine with cloth diapering. I know this sounds silly, but I'm worried about being "that mom" You know what I mean? My kid isn't trained to sleep in a crib, doesn't take a bottle, no pacifier, I cloth diaper,and on top of that I don't think there food is good enough. I'm totally "that mom" I guess I just need to grow a backbone.

Thanks for reading this rant, lol

Erinne 02-05-2013 08:07 PM

When I worked in daycares before dd was born, very few parents cared, but it was always fine to send whatever you wanted. Make it something easy for them (they won't have time to really prepare anything, so just containers that can be opened and handed to your child) and not messy, and I would think it would be fine.

monkeymama07 02-05-2013 08:09 PM

When liam was in school I sent him lunch but didn't freak out if liam ate something with them.

mmeneely 02-05-2013 08:16 PM

You can but she will want what the other kids have (mom of 3 here) and won't eat what she has. Mark my word.
It sounds like we have VERY much the same views on food and nutrition - this is ONE meal a day. Soon, she will be eating the sand and her filthy hands will be in her mouth. I am not suggesting you let go/ease up - I have the sincerest intentions in explaining this.

AzulMariposa 02-05-2013 08:21 PM

I have worked in several one year old classrooms, and I was the teacher who had each parent take a menu and circle what their kids could have. If there wasnt protein options they wanted, for example, I would talk to the parents and see about them bringing food to provide all food groups. The last one year old room I was in I had vegetarian twins (we heated their meat alternative foods to go with our sides) one who ate all organic (mom packed his lunch with hers and came and ate with him, then nursed him before going back to work) and several who were sensitive to one thing or another on our menu, or their parents just didnt want them to have certain things yet. My point is, they should be able to work with it in a one year old room. I left that center, and when I went back to visit, the vegetarian twins no longer get proteinscsent from home (i guess at some point it got annoying to the teachers), but mom pays for an extra lunch (their food is catered) for them to share the veggies and fruit from. The little boy who ate all organic no longer does, but he does get organic milk with meals and organic snacks in the classroom. To me as a provider, I strive to make the parents feel comfortable. Unfortunately i am in the minority. I also packed lunch for my children at almost every daycare they attended, either because the school didnt give them enough food and they were still hungry, the school "cooked" everything in plastic bowls in the microwave, or ketchup was treated like a vegetable. I always just made it as easy as possible for the staff. As they got older, I made sure their snacks were similar to what the other children had, and 1-2 times a month i would send snack for their whole class. I am also the only parent who ever made aure the kids with allergies could eat the birthday goodies my kids took in. Seeing the little boy with gluten allergies face light up when I told him he could eat the muffins we brought in, totally made the work worth it. He usually even had separate food at home :( Sorry I went off on a tangent there, but hopefully they will work with you.

Huxley 02-05-2013 08:36 PM

The thought of going in at lunch and nursing her / feeding her lunch really appeals to me. It would mean they'd have one less kid to worry about. My aunt actually runs the centre (not the baby room) so I may be able to try for special treatment. I know as she ages I will totally get over my worrying so much about controlling her food, but at one year old she is still just a little baby in my eyes.