Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   frustrated by lack of progess (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489226)

bluecandi 02-05-2013 11:28 PM

frustrated by lack of progess

I feel like Im drowning in stuff!! Ive been purging for a year now and I feel like there is still SO much!! Ugh!
Ive been feeling too tired to do anything lately and its all been piling up. I finally just grabbed a trashbag and started filling it.

pgkcb13 02-06-2013 03:41 AM

Re: frustrated by lack of progess

I can relate. We've been at it over a year too. I can't figure out how there is still so much??

Luckily my nesting is helping a bit, but what doesn't help is that we're down to the 'hard' stuff (half finished projects, sentimental stuff, nice toys, etc). It also doesn't help that there are boxes and boxes of stuff I need DH to deal with (wires/cords/manuals/parts/pieces/tools, etc that I have no idea what they belong to or anything) and most of those have been sitting there for a year :banghead: part of my feels like if they've been sitting un touched that long they should just get donated, but another part of me just knows that he'll need something as soon as I donate it...

marliah 02-06-2013 02:06 PM

I hear you :hugs: Maybe take some photos now of your house in a normal state then you can compare in a couple months and see your progress. I did this quite by mistake but the other day when I was looking through photos I could not believe how cluttered our living room was. It looks a bit cluttered to me right now but I'm telling you it looks WAY better than it used to!

bluecandi 02-06-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgkcb13 (Post 16254400)
It also doesn't help that there are boxes and boxes of stuff I need DH to deal with (wires/cords/manuals/parts/pieces/tools, etc that I have no idea what they belong to or anything) and most of those have been sitting there for a year :banghead: part of my feels like if they've been sitting un touched that long they should just get donated, but another part of me just knows that he'll need something as soon as I donate it...

This is most of my problem too. And yay for nesting!!! Its been helping me stay sane....sort of. I seem to be becoming a little ocd lol.

cherylchoo 02-06-2013 05:28 PM

I think purging is like packing a move. The first 80% goes really fast, taking only 20% of the total time...then the last 20% takes 80% of the time. You have to really go through stuff then, make harder choices, and sometimes the stuff is logistically harder to get rid of (waiting on someone to get it, have to take it apart, find all the pieces first, etc.) To have hit a speedbump means you are making progress. ;)

And I second taking the pix. I never in a million years would have thought taking before pix of my junky basement would motivate me but it does.

TypeAMom 02-07-2013 10:14 PM

Have you been watching what you're bringing into the house? One thing that helps me is to watch Hoarders, then go crazy on one little section of the house, like maybe just a kitchen counter. You have to cut yourself some slack, too b/c it's easy to feel like more should be done and to lose sight of all that you have accomplished.

bluecandi 02-07-2013 11:00 PM

I havent bought anything.....kids bring in a crapton of paper and I pare that down when theyre not looking ;)
Hubby is bad about never putting things away. His mom is a hoarder and I watch Hoarders all the time to motivate myself, and also subliminally train him away from those patterns. I tell him all the time that clutter gives me anxiety. Its gotten worse with the pregnancy.....I seem more aware of the clutter and it drives me nutty. Almost to OCD levels.
Since Ive been feeling this way, Ive been purging a lot more and that is helping. Woot!!

Bexo 02-08-2013 09:51 AM

Good for you for grabbing a trash bag and going at it!

I'm JUST starting to feel better in this pregnancy (horrible morning sickness and fatigue!) at nearly 20 weeks, so I'm hoping I'll get more and more energy back and go crazy organizing and purging come spring! Eagerly awaiting the nesting urge!

bluecandi 02-11-2013 12:58 AM

I reeeally took it to the clutter yesterday!! I got soooo much done! I cleaned out my closet, organized my high heels ;), pared down my bras, undies, and socks, cleaned out a kitchen cabinet, cleaned out a purse and my work bag, cleaned out my coat/storage closet, cleaned off my washer and dryer tops, and did 5 loads of laundry. I stuffed a trashbag which got dropped off yesterday at the donation place.
Next up.....organizing dhs desk, culling toys, cleaning off the top of a bookcase, cleaning out my papers basket in the kitchen, and cleaning out my armoir.
:D
I <3 nesting!!

bluecandi 02-11-2013 02:16 AM

The closet was tough because Im at that stage where I can still wear some of my regular clothes but the maternity is encroaching and I am having a hard time getting rid of things (unless its fugly or too short) bc who knows how big I will be when Newb drops? Same for shoes. My feet get long and fat, then shrink down eventually. Theres a lot, but at least its all organized!