Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   I just learned we shouldn't be using LATCH any more (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489280)

Pink84 02-06-2013 08:36 AM

I just learned we shouldn't be using LATCH any more

...and I kind of feel like someone just told me my Grandmother died :crying:.

First I consulted our car's manual (2004 Honda Pilot) and it gave no weigh limit. So, I called Britax since we have a (11/4/08) Britax Marathon. I spoke with a nice lady about the new requirements and was told my son had 2 more lbs before we needed to switch to using the seat belt. THEN she called ME back and said that law doesn't go into effect till 2014, so I should follow the 40lb limit & thus we should be using the seat belt rather than LATCH.

We are already in the market for a new car seat, as my DS is about to outgrow the Marathon. So, I called Britax back to clarify since we were looking at the Frontier. Sure enough, the LATCH capability is pretty much useless to us. So, I then looked further into the two other seats we've been considering (Diono & Nautilus) and found THIS on Diono's website "The 80 lb lower anchor limit for U.S. RadianRXT and RadianR120 (and 65 lb limit for RadianR100) is only for vehicles manufactured after September 1, 2005 when vehicle lower anchor strength requirements were increased." SO, it seems there is no way around it...that is unless we wanted to get a newer vehicle...we will be officially using the seat belt to install the car seat. Maybe I had a false sense of safety with LATCH, but we ALWAYS seem to get a better fit using it rather than the seat belt. Is it possible to get just as tight of a fit when using the seat belt to install a car seat?

Erinne 02-06-2013 08:46 AM

Re: I just learned we shouldn't be using LATCH any more

I always use the seatbelt because I put my dd in the middle seat. I actually prefer it because we don't own a car so I'm always taking it in and out of taxis and rentals, so the fact that it's easier to get out is a huge bonus. But anyway, I find the key is to kinda pick the seat up a few inches while you're pulling the belt tight, and then when you put it back down, it will be tight. As long as you have the self-locking belts, which I would think a car that new would, it shouldn't be too bad.

s@hmommy 02-06-2013 08:52 AM

After I started learning a little about latch and how it can vary from car to car, I started doing installs with the belt only. I hate it, but feel better knowing that is one less mistake I could be making with their seats. I wish they would come up with one universal latch system with standardized weight limits and such and require seats to post their weight somewhere on the actual seat!

Pink84 02-06-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s@hmommy
After I started learning a little about latch and how it can vary from car to car, I started doing installs with the belt only. I hate it, but feel better knowing that is one less mistake I could be making with their seats. I wish they would come up with one universal latch system with standardized weight limits and such and require seats to post their weight somewhere on the actual seat!

Agreed!

Fashionably Green Baby 02-06-2013 08:57 AM

I can get a rock solid install with a seatbelt. I have 3 across and 2 are seatbelt installs and my 3rd is getting switched to a seatbelt install because of weight.

monica-m 02-06-2013 09:00 AM

LATCH installs and seat belt installs are equally safe when done properly. I personally prefer seat belt installs because you never have to worry about a weight limit that way and I almost always get a better install with the seat belt. As far as the Frontier goes, the best installs come from using the seat belt and the long belt path. It looks intimidating at first but it gets easier the more times you do the install. At the inspection station I volunteer at I get all the Frontier installs because I'm the most comfortable with the seat. It's a great seat, I think you'll be really happy with it, just don't be intimidated with the installation with the seat belt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbZiOj4-LmA

Pink84 02-06-2013 09:02 AM

I guess we just need to keep at it...it's just been SOOO easy to instal our Marathon with Britax's LATCH connectors. I just make the three clicks, sit in the seat & pull as tight as I can...done!

Pink84 02-06-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monica-m
LATCH installs and seat belt installs are equally safe when done properly. I personally prefer seat belt installs because you never have to worry about a weight limit that way and I almost always get a better install with the seat belt. As far as the Frontier goes, the best installs come from using the seat belt and the long belt path. It looks intimidating at first but it gets easier the more times you do the install. At the inspection station I volunteer at I get all the Frontier installs because I'm the most comfortable with the seat. It's a great seat, I think you'll be really happy with it, just don't be intimidated with the installation with the seat belt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbZiOj4-LmA

Thank you for this link!!!!

Dory 02-06-2013 09:28 AM

The two cars we had when we first had kids were both pre-LATCH, so I learned seatbelt installs and I'm more comfortable with them even now that both my car and his truck have LATCH. I can get very tight installs with the seat belt! And, there's no way I'd get three across with LATCH, as it would put the seats farther apart.

Mom2Connor 02-06-2013 10:05 AM

I use seatbelt installs and they are rock solid. DH can do both and usually uses latch in his car.

Personally, I don't trust latch and I think the different weight limits make it too confusing. We have three seats, one kid, one nephew on occasion, and another baby on the way. And two vehicles. Too much hassle for me to remember all that.