Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In April (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Pre-e (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489319)

Mom2Connor 02-06-2013 10:43 AM

So I had a normal pregnancy with DS but started having a lot of the pre eclampsia signs about this time. Manageable things such as frontal migraines that came out of no where, excessive swelling in the weeks to come, circulation issues, etc.

I ended up having to have him at 38 1/2 wks after an OB appt where my BP had sky rocketed and wouldn't go down. He was an emergency c section because blood work showed HELLP syndrome.

I've been trying to be optimistic about this not happening again but I am totally stressed now because I've been having bad headaches off and on but until a couple days ago they were infrequent. A couple times a week usually. My OB approved excedrin migraine (i know, please no flames) because nothing touched these headaches and they turned into migraines that would not go away if left untreated with excedrin. Even overnight.

Now I am suddenly getting splitting painful migraines every day out of nowhere. Seriously no where. It just happened again at lunch today. I drink a coke zero and take two excedrin and it goes away fast if I take them right away.

I know I was just saying I was ready for baby to get here sooner rather than later but I am afraid if I tell the OB the signs are starting again, that they will take it too seriously this time because of my history. I have a routine 30 wk appt tomorrow. DH says I need to tell her but I'm thinking about waiting. Baby isn't done cooking yet, I know they won't deliver based on just this but if they get too jumpy too early can I refuse and wait a little longer??

steph410 02-06-2013 11:11 AM

Re: Pre-e

sorry you are having such bad headaches, that sounds terrible. I would tell my OB definitely, though, just because pre-e is so serious. is there a definitive test they do to determine if you have it?

Mom2Connor 02-06-2013 11:14 AM

It's diagnosed via various things contributing - sudden high blood pressure, migraines, protein in urine, excessive swelling, etc. because of HELLP I also had liver problems shown in the bloodwork. :/

leyash 02-06-2013 11:17 AM

honestly, i get these horrible headaches when withdrawing from excedrin. i know that it's not a lot of caffeine, but i take two, then the next day when i DON'T take it, get a rebound headache. so i take more, then the next day get another rebound headache, etc. could it be from that?

not trying to downplay your symptoms at all, so please don't think that. just wondering if that might be a contributing factor.

canadianbakers 02-06-2013 11:25 AM

I definitely would not hide it from your OB - that's what she's there for, to hear these things and know the possible causes or problems.
They're not going to jump to delivery any time soon unless it becomes dangerous for baby and you to remain pregnant. If you tell her, she can start watching you more closely, and recommend what tests to get done and whatnot.

WVflipflopmama 02-06-2013 11:28 AM

I would tell your OB. If nothing else so they can monitor you between now and delivery. They may also have other ways to help control the migraines. Not telling your doc out of fear is only hurting you and your little one.

Mom2Connor 02-06-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leyash
honestly, i get these horrible headaches when withdrawing from excedrin. i know that it's not a lot of caffeine, but i take two, then the next day when i DON'T take it, get a rebound headache. so i take more, then the next day get another rebound headache, etc. could it be from that?

not trying to downplay your symptoms at all, so please don't think that. just wondering if that might be a contributing factor.

No, definitely not. I don't take it any other time, this only happen when I'm pregnant and I have to go buy it. During the second trimester they will be infrequent, no withdrawal in the days after. Now, they are not headaches they are full blown migraines with serious light and sound sensitivity.

babyrosie 02-06-2013 12:49 PM

Pre e is very frequently a disease of first time moms and you never have it again. I also had it with dd (was induced at 37weeks) and so I understand your concerns. However, I don't see that it would do any good to hide it from your OB. They don't want to deliver you anytime soon and wouldn't push for that unless things got dangerous for you or baby. But pre e can lead to eclampsia which is very very serious. Why risk that? Tell your OB. Hugs mama.

MrsCrafty 02-06-2013 01:38 PM

I'd definitely tell her. :hugs:

Mom2Connor 02-06-2013 04:45 PM

Yeah, you are all right of course. :( I just don't want them to suddenly alter from the course of baby coming when he's ready and I am afraid to end up with pre-e again.