Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Craft Chat (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Wetbag/Pail-liner (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489334)

bfoster2000 02-06-2013 11:38 AM

Wetbag/Pail-liner

What do you use? I have a hand-me-down that's pretty good but it's woven on the outside and plasticky stuff on the inside. The plasticky stuff is way thicker than the PUL I've got though. I've made a couple of wetbags from the PUL I've got (which I assume is 1 mil...it's all diaper stuff I've gotten from FSOT) and they leak like mad. I wind up wrapping wet diapers in a dry PF before putting them in the bag half the time! Should I get some 2mil PUL or vinyl or something else? Is there some other trick? I noticed that on SIL's pail-liner, there's a strip sewn over the seams which I assume is to prevent wicking there but my poor little bags seem so flimsy that I'm not sure that would even help. I really miss my wool wetbag! Got to find me a huge sweater to felt but I'll still need something to keep in the diaper bag for on the go.

MrsCrafty 02-07-2013 08:09 AM

Re: Wetbag/Pail-liner

I've never sewn one, but could you just double turn the seams? Are you just using pul or using another fabric for the outter and it's wicking?

The Fancy Pansy 02-07-2013 08:38 AM

1 Mil PUL makes great wetbags. :thumbsup: Can you describe how you sewed them? What kind/size of needle? What outer fabric (if any)? Did you use poly thread? (Cotton will pull the moisture out).

bfoster2000 02-09-2013 12:53 PM

I just did it like a pillowcase (with a zipper)...plain and simple. I'm pretty sure it's a size 75 universal needle that's on there now and I remember thinking that I needed to use polyester thread instead of cotton but I've been doing a lot of back and forth lately so it's possible that I forgot to switch it. For peed-on diapers, it's fine and maybe that's all wet bags are meant for. After I dunk and swish a poopy diaper, I have to wrap it in something before I put it in the bag and even then, after a couple of hours, the whole bag will be soaked...not just around the seams but the whole outside of the bag. My SIL has a giant garbage-bag sized pail liner that she actually puts in her diaper pail (imagine that!) and she tosses the soaked diapers in there after dunking or spraying them with no problems. She can pull the pail liner out and carry it to the laundry room without it dripping and the inside of the pail is still dry. But hers feels a lot thicker than my PUL as does the hand-me-down wetbag I got.

With my older kids, I had gotten two 3XL men's sweaters from Goodwill, heavily felted them, and made them into hanging bags. They were awesome. I may wind up doing that again. I'm having trouble getting the diapers good and clean in my front-loader so I'm trying to swish them and get them good and wet before I put them in the washer to trick it and I'm also thinking of getting a sprayer so I need SOMETHING that's really good and waterproof to keep in the bathroom. I guess I could just use a plastic diaper pail but those stink and have to be scrubbed all the time (hence the desire for pail liners!)

The Fancy Pansy 02-09-2013 03:06 PM

If you used cotton thread, that would definitely be the culprit!!

CheleBelle84 02-11-2013 12:59 PM

I'm about to sew my first wet bag, so I'm glad I cam across this thread! All I have right now is cotton thread too ... hmmm ... wonder if I could double layer the PUL and alternate where the seams are inside, to help prevent the leaking issue?! I'll be watching this thread for additional recommendations! Def - don't want leak issues, sort of defeats the purpose huh?! :)