Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   I need ideas to get more protein (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489416)

KCmomma 02-06-2013 03:07 PM

I need ideas to get more protein

I can not stand to taste or smell meat/fish/eggs right now and I am starting to get that way with nuts too. Are protein bars and powders ok to add in to my diet while pregnant? What else would you suggest so I am getting enough protein?

WVflipflopmama 02-06-2013 03:09 PM

Beans, eggs, peanut butter. I'm having a hard time with protein as well.

Kiliki 02-06-2013 03:14 PM

Re: I need ideas to get more protein

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCmomma (Post 16256950)
I can not stand to taste or smell meat/fish/eggs right now and I am starting to get that way with nuts too. Are protein bars and powders ok to add in to my diet while pregnant? What else would you suggest so I am getting enough protein?

I would say to stay away from protein powders/bars/shakes for a couple reasons.

One, they are usually soy protein, and soy mimics estrogen, and the last thing a pregnant woman needs is to be eating a ton of food that her body will treat as a hormone.

Two, they aren't really good substitutes for REAL food.

Can you do hard boiled eggs?

You can add extra eggs to things like cake batters, meatloaf mixes, and you can even add eggs to mashed potatoes (while they are are still flaming hot off the stove - it will cook the egg). There's a whole ton of stuff you can add eggs to, to help increase your protein intake - but I can't remember it all right now...

Could you do some fried egg pieces mixed in with some yellow rice and chicken?

Beef Jerky in small amounts could be good. I wouldn't rely on that as a source of protein, b/c it is high in sodium and probably has other gross stuff in it, but it could be a good helper in moderation.

mariamommy 02-06-2013 03:17 PM

My first thought was a quesadilla with refried beans (or black beans) and cheese in a tortilla.

Kiliki 02-06-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariamommy (Post 16256998)
My first thought was a quesadilla with refried beans (or black beans) and cheese in a tortilla.

:drif:

that sounds SO.good.

songbird516 02-06-2013 03:23 PM

Grass-fed beef jerky would be great if you could find it and tolerate it. Also there is fish. I agree with trying to sneak eggs. I don't know if this is an option but you can make ice cream with lots of eggs in it. Free-range, local are safest and much more nutritious than any other kind.

Liaklong 02-06-2013 03:53 PM

Humus? Greek yogurt is high in protein (twice regular yogurt). PB or almond butter, cheese, nuts & seeds (I love pumpkin & sunflower). Beans for sure & broccoli & spinach are actually good as far as veggies go.

KCmomma 02-06-2013 03:56 PM

LOL I wonder how much wildlife I would attract if I set my food dehydrator outside to make some jerky! If not I'm pretty sure one of my husband's soldiers will let me use their house so I don't have to smell it for hours on end. Think of it as a manly man Scentsy warmer! Thank you all for the suggestions. The adding eggs idea reminded me I can make powdered egg whites and mix that in with pretty much anything.

KCmomma 02-06-2013 03:57 PM

Ooooh a spinach quiche sounds yummy!

EmilytheStrange 02-06-2013 04:06 PM

yogurt! greek, if you can stomach it!