Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   pointers on how to deal with ammonia. please. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489432)

jennayoung99 02-06-2013 04:04 PM

pointers on how to deal with ammonia. please.

Ok so I feel like I've tried everything, it even worked for a while, and now its back.
Its only in my fitteds and we only use fitteds at night.
So right now I rinse them in the morning, and put them in a wet pail with vinegar. I wash every other day, I then rinse them again before I put them in the wash. My wash routine is cold soak, hot soak, hot wash with tide and 1/8 cup bleach, regular wash no soap. I have super soft water as well.
And this routine worked well for like a week and then it came back, at first it was just a slight ammonia (I really had to sniff for it) but now its back fully. I'm trying to rinse them longer, but I'm not sure if it will do anything.
Anyone have anything else to maybe change or try?
The only thing I can think of is boiling the inserts, but they have snaps so I'm not sure if I'm comfortable testing it out.

TrennaII 02-06-2013 04:16 PM

Re: pointers on how to deal with ammonia. please.

I wouldn't expose the diapers to hot water without soap in there, it sets things in.

I have a personal vendetta against Tide, and have to use Country Save to avoid ammonia problems, but to be a little more fair I can suggest putting vinegar in your rinse, to strip out the stuff Tide leaves on diapers (the optical brighteners and so on, which can also help yuck stay in the diaper). With soft water, you may very very very likely be getting detergent buildup.

Here's what I'd try ...

Rinse & ring out night diaper
Dry pail with the lid cracked (getting oxygen to the diapers slows ammonia development)
Cold rinse with baking soda, no need to soak
Hot wash with Tide if you must, but preferably a buildup free mainstream detergent (Like Biokleen or Country Save)
Cold Rinse with Vinegar

A soak in washing soda, or adding washing soda to your wash, helps strip out ammonia but it's yet another thing for your soft water to fight to rinse out.

Another choice is having a night diaper that has many thin flaps of fabric and mostly natural fibers, because they come clean more easily.

jennayoung99 02-06-2013 04:20 PM

Its tide free & gentle I forgot to say (not sure if it matters) but country save doesn't work for us, I had stinkies with in a few weeks, it didnt even get the cjs out of my pockets, everything was greasy and smelly. I'll cut out the hot soak, that was something I just added and was one of the things that worked for a short time.

MomBecks 02-06-2013 04:30 PM

I find overnight diapers stink unless I use a breathable cover. Every time I use PUL we end up with ammonia, but when I stick with wool we're fine. As urine breaks down during the 10-12 hours they're in their overnight diapers ammonia builds up unless there's enough air circulating. Then it gets harder and harder to wash out. If you have really software water you may be able to get by with less detergent too. I used Tide Free for years but switched to Charlie's Soap a few years ago and love it!

nonipie 02-06-2013 04:48 PM

Are you running a rinse cycle first or just the soaks? I would stop soaking them. I have never had luck with that although I know some people do. I would rinse them in the morning still, then not use the vinegar. Then on wash day do a prewash-no soak with 1/4 cup of bleach, then your hot wash.

jennayoung99 02-06-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonipie
Are you running a rinse cycle first or just the soaks? I would stop soaking them. I have never had luck with that although I know some people do. I would rinse them in the morning still, then not use the vinegar. Then on wash day do a prewash-no soak with 1/4 cup of bleach, then your hot wash.

I soak them and then do a rinse cycle with that water.

greencrunchymama 02-06-2013 05:31 PM

Abby's Lane says Free and clear detergents cause build up, but I don't have any personal experience with them. Sorry :(

shen7 02-06-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonipie (Post 16257345)

I agree with this. One wash cycle will be better than 2 soak cycles since it will agitate more. Also agree with upping the bleach and using it in your prewash, you should use a bit of detergent in the prewash too. You could also try Bac Out instead of vinegar when you rinse the overnight diapers in the morning, and a little Bac Out on poopy ones too, it really breaks down the odor causing yuckies and bacteria. Vinegar is great as a fabric softener/rinse aid for soft water though.

In my experience and research, ammonia is from bacteria and/or their metabolic products (i.e. from poop, originally), and bleach is the best way to fix it. We bleach frequently and our nighttime solution is a pocket stuffed with a flat and Thirsties hemp prefold. If I catch a hint of ammonia in the morning, or if DD has some yuckier than normal poops, that's when I bleach (in the prewash). I am a Tide F&G user myself too :) though I use other stuff sometimes too, I look for enzymes!

jennayoung99 02-06-2013 06:04 PM

i would like to add that this wash routine works great on all my other diapers, they all get washed together, but only my fitteds have the ammonia problem.

jennayoung99 02-06-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shen7 (Post 16257563)
I agree with this. One wash cycle will be better than 2 soak cycles since it will agitate more. Also agree with upping the bleach and using it in your prewash, you should use a bit of detergent in the prewash too. You could also try Bac Out instead of vinegar when you rinse the overnight diapers in the morning, and a little Bac Out on poopy ones too, it really breaks down the odor causing yuckies and bacteria. Vinegar is great as a fabric softener/rinse aid for soft water though.

In my experience and research, ammonia is from bacteria and/or their metabolic products (i.e. from poop, originally), and bleach is the best way to fix it. We bleach frequently and our nighttime solution is a pocket stuffed with a flat and Thirsties hemp prefold. If I catch a hint of ammonia in the morning, or if DD has some yuckier than normal poops, that's when I bleach (in the prewash). I am a Tide F&G user myself too :) though I use other stuff sometimes too, I look for enzymes!

i don't know anywhere that sells bac out near me (i'm in canada) and i don't want to start using something i have to order online all the time. also there is never poop in the fitteds, they are only for night time, would they still get poop build up in them from my other diapers even tho they are all rinsed??