Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Craft Chat (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   If you own a serger, is it worth it? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489480)

KLeeCW 02-06-2013 07:37 PM

If you own a serger, is it worth it?

I frequently have projects where I say I wish I had a serger. Then I look at the prices of most sergers. Then I wonder if once I have the serger I won't have nearly enough projects to justify the price. So, was your serger worth it?

Rdesonia 02-06-2013 07:58 PM

Re: If you own a serger, is it worth it?

Yes!
Well maybe! I have started to love mine. I finish projects faster (no more french seams). I love the way things look more professionally done. But mine was purchased on Black Friday and DH bought it for me as my Christmas gift. (I picked it out.) I'd rather have the Serger than say a bouquet of flowers and a dinner out for Valentines.

Rockinmama24 02-06-2013 08:14 PM

For years I said I couldn't justify the cost of a serger, then I got one & don't know how I lived without one. It's the best investment.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

sillymama 02-06-2013 08:18 PM

Absolutely worth it. I never thought i would actually get one but ended up getting one about a year ago. I love mine and it gives such a nice finish to handmade items.

bcarroll9494 02-06-2013 08:35 PM

It depends on what you sew most. If you mostly quilt and craft.... maybe not.
But if you sew a lot of garments - it is wonderful to have one.

katertot 02-06-2013 08:43 PM

Ooh I've wondered the same thing. Then i convince myself i don't *need* one. But maybe i do.....

TheCoach'sWife 02-06-2013 08:46 PM

If you are on the fence, why not a used one? Check out craigslist! I love my serger, I have an old commercial one and it can outdo any of the new ones I've used.

Art mama 02-06-2013 08:48 PM

I love mine..kinda. I bought a cheap one and wish I had gotten a better one. But I do love it and I'm sure I will love it more the more I learn to do with it. I've finally learned to thread it without the book!

Puppydog 02-06-2013 11:55 PM

Oh yes!! I can't live without mine. It is a cheapie and can drive you made but its recently had a service and is running well. I will use it until it falls apart and then buy a good one.

You Tell 'Em 02-07-2013 12:27 AM

YES! I inherited my MILs when I started using it more than her :blush: Then when she needed to use a serger again she just bought herself a new one :giggle: so her old one has become mine. I don't do any quilting, just diapers and clothing so the serger is perfect for that... I only ever really use my sewing machine for the elastic or for an occasional random project where topstitching looks nice.