Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Food recommendations for a child with allergies (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489483)

Subversive Cupcake 02-06-2013 07:45 PM

Food recommendations for a child with allergies

My best friend hit a brick wall. She can't think of any new ideas for food for her 19 month old daughter.

Her daughter is allergic to:
Egg whites
Peanuts
Dairy
Wheat

She's been doing a mainly Asian cuisine diet, and her daughter loves fruit, but feels left out when she can't have cake like the other kids.

mmmom 02-06-2013 07:54 PM

Can't she make a safe cupcake. I make 12 and freeze them, taking them out and decorating them as my dd needs. I send her one to birthdays parties, school parties etc.

She needs to look for vegan/gluten free recipes. Chia seed is a great egg substitute and there are lots if other safe alternatives.
I have a gluten/egg/dairy free kid in my room and he eats pretty much what other kids do safe options.
He loves flavoured tofu ( he calls it yogurt) and eats a lot of fruit/veggies. Quinoa is also a good option

Subversive Cupcake 02-06-2013 08:04 PM

Re: Food recommendations for a child with allergies

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmom (Post 16257971)
Can't she make a safe cupcake. I make 12 and freeze them, taking them out and decorating them as my dd needs. I send her one to birthdays parties, school parties etc.

She needs to look for vegan/gluten free recipes. Chia seed is a great egg substitute and there are lots if other safe alternatives.
I have a gluten/egg/dairy free kid in my room and he eats pretty much what other kids do safe options.
He loves flavoured tofu ( he calls it yogurt) and eats a lot of fruit/veggies. Quinoa is also a good option

Thanks! I knew there had to be an egg substitute! I just wasn't sure what it was.

LittleThingsMama638 02-06-2013 08:18 PM

My dd is allergic to egg whites, corn, dairy, peanuts, soy, legumes, coconut, and almonds. Luckily we don't deal with wheat as well. It is VERY hard. Since we don't have the wheat allergy, I'm not familiar with it and can't recommend much. We do a ton of rice and potatoes. We haven't found a cake recipe either but it looks like dd can tolerate eggs, it just gives her eczema so while we still avoid it, we can include it sometimes if needed. Can she just sub the yolks? Jbug4 has a dd with a ton of allergies and she had some great food recommendations for me. Salisbury steak with homemade gravy, homemade steak a jus sandwiches (on gluten free of course) chicken, soups. One dd loves is taking hormels natural lunch meat, putting some nondairy rice cheese on a tortilla and then warming it up. It's like a chicken quesadilla. If she can find a cheese, and something to sub for the tortilla, she can do tacos and the quesadillas.

EmilytheStrange 02-06-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleThingsMama638
. If she can find a cheese, and something to sub for the tortilla, she can do tacos and the quesadillas.

Pretty sure corn tortillas work for gluten free.

jbug_4 02-07-2013 04:30 AM

Don't know what you have in the way of stores, but Annies makes a lot of snack cakes that are "free" and Enjoy Life as well. They are usually found in their own section with other special diet foods. We've grabbed those when we needed something quick. We also keep cupcakes in the freezer for cake parties we know about. DD has treats in the classroom for parties we don't know about- that is where those Annie's and Enjoy Life products really come in handy.

Mom2jandb 02-07-2013 07:43 AM

Sunbutter! Good stuff. I like it better than any nut butter, and it's a seed so generally ok for allergies. As long as the 19mo can handle it, of course.

Subversive Cupcake 02-07-2013 08:01 AM

Thank you thank you!

I'm writing it all down!

NYCVeg 02-07-2013 11:28 AM

Dd is allergic to wheat, eggs, tree nuts, fish, coconut, and a few other foods (has outgrown peanut and some others). We've always made her own cupcakes for parties, etc.

My best recommendation for gluten-free, egg-free baking is not to try to "adjust" recipes that call for gluten and eggs. Because most gluten-free baking uses egg to counteract the gummy, gluten-free texture, you really need to use recipes that are specifically formulated to be gluten and egg-free.

My very favorite gluten-free cupcakes are these, which we do for pretty much every birthday. We use all-purpose gluten-free flour (Gluten-Free Pantry brand, Whole Foods, or King Arthur). They are AMAZING. You can't tell they're gluten free. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/ma...-001.html?_r=0

Dd is not allergic to dairy, so we usually do homemade buttercream, but most Pillsbury frostings are gluten-, egg-, dairy-, and nut-free.

I might point your friend to: http://community.kidswithfoodallergies.org/
The forums there are amazing and there is an extensive library of recipes, plus you can get advice from many, many people managing the same allergies.

ETA: There are also tons of good allergen-free brands out there. Enjoy Life foods is completely top-8 free, and they make a whole range of cookies, bars, etc. My dd LOVES their sugar cookies and their double chocolate Brownie cookies.