Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How long to fast for the 1 hr GD test? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489547)

mrspopo 02-07-2013 01:30 AM

How long to fast for the 1 hr GD test?

I seem to remember my doctor saying to fast for a few hours or something like that before my 1 hour gestational diabetes test. I couldn't remember how long, so I called and asked. The receptionist asked a doctor there and they told me 12 hours.

The test is tomorrow at 3pm and the more I think about it the more 12 hours sounds wrong. I think it was only a few hours last pregnancy, and the only info I'm finding online is to fast for 12 hours for the 3 hour test. And the more I read about it the more confused I get with people saying to not fast at all, and others saying they fasted for 6 hours. My numbers last pregnancy were nice and low, so I would expect to pass it just fine this time too.

JaimeeRooker 02-07-2013 02:11 AM

Usually I've been asked stop eating at midnight the night before. My current ob just said don't over do sugary foods before the test.

DottieHarley 02-07-2013 03:56 AM

I think you will get lots of different responses. What my Bradley instructor suggested: for about a week ahead, eat something sugary each night - she suggested ice cream. Then the morning of the test, eat a high protein, low carb breakfast like scrambled eggs. Her emphasis was on "tricking/ persuading" the test to return "no GD" results so that the OB would not feel the need to start restricting eating and weight gain. Pretty sure there was no scientific basis, but anecdotally it worked for all of us :-)
What my OB said: don't fast. If the test shows a problem we would have done a 3 hour test, and that would have required fasting.

mommajewels 02-07-2013 05:45 AM

Re: How long to fast for the 1 hr GD test?

This definitely varies by provider.

With my first 5 kids, the only instructions I was given was to fast after midnight. Nothing other than water until after my blood draw. I failed the 1hr 3 out of 5 times (passed it during my first 2 pregnancies, failed during my last 3) doing it that way, only to go on to pass the 3hr test. Nothing like having to take that awful 3hr test only to find out the 1hr results were flawed.

With this baby, my midwife told me to try it a different way. She said to load up on carbs for the 3 days leading up to the test, and then to eat a light breakfast the morning of the test.. 1hr before I was scheduled to drink the Glucola. I had some scrambled eggs, 3pcs of bacon, and a slice of peanut butter toast. I was skeptical and totally expecting to fail. Surprise... I passed!

kushie tushie 02-07-2013 05:52 AM

I've never fasted for mine.
Actually I was told all three times to not fast.

My midwife says eat smart. Like: don't eat right before you go in, don't eat a ton of sugar that day, don't drink sodas or juices..... things like that.

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!

kushie tushie 02-07-2013 05:52 AM

I've never fasted for mine.
Actually I was told all three times to not fast.

My midwife says eat smart. Like: don't eat right before you go in, don't eat a ton of sugar that day, don't drink sodas or juices..... things like that.

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!

SaraElise 02-07-2013 06:15 AM

I was told NOT to fast (though I did have to fast for the 3 hour). They said just eat a light breakfast with nothing sugary. And drink it 45 minutes before my appointment

SaraElise 02-07-2013 06:15 AM

I was told NOT to fast (though I did have to fast for the 3 hour). They said just eat a light breakfast with nothing sugary. And drink it 45 minutes before my appointment

Christylkeller 02-07-2013 07:14 AM

I also was told NOT to fast, and to just make smart food choices. I ate a high protein dinner the night before and a high protein breakfast the morning of and passed with no problems!

The Fancy Pansy 02-07-2013 08:41 AM

No fasting here. They schedule them in the morning, though, and tell you to just eat eggs for breakfast.