Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What color would you paint... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489591)

Rhianna'sMommy 02-07-2013 08:43 AM

What color would you paint...

What color would you paint a bedroom shared by a boy and a girl?

Dd2 has recently moved into ds's room and we're debating painting it a more neutral color that suits both of them since dd2 isn't likely to move back out anytime soon. (she was downstairs but has always hated it down there and after 2 years we finally said fine, you can move upstairs with ds). Right now the room is painted almost black in a star wars theme - very BOY. Dd2 is all about pink - her downstairs room is pink and very princessy (ie over the top girly).

The idea is we might do wall stickers but most likely leave the walls plainish until one of them moves out in a couple of years and then personalize the color for whoever stays upstairs (could be either of them). So what color would you paint the room?

mommabritt 02-07-2013 08:49 AM

A neutral green or grey. :)

EmmaGM 02-07-2013 08:52 AM

Green, yellow, grey, teal, tan

Though, tbh, I would probably personally paint it purple. I don't believe in assigning genders to a color and my DS looks great in purple. Helps that it's my favorite color. :giggle:

Belle1002 02-07-2013 08:52 AM

Right now, ours is browns, tans, and greens- earthy tones, but I'm switching things up very soon and am going with grey and orange with some hot pink accents on DD's side. I searched for bedding sets that would coordinate and became frustrated with the lack of options. Most boy stuff was dark or bold, while the girl stuff was muted or pastels. There's always the option of staying with white or off white walls, but I grew up un a house with no color so I've made it a point to have a more colorful home of my own!

ktarsha 02-07-2013 09:21 AM

Re: What color would you paint...

I'd go with a light green or light blue. Either of those would be a good background for Star Wars stuff and for pink princess stuff.

ktarsha 02-07-2013 09:22 AM

DP

Rhianna'sMommy 02-07-2013 10:00 AM

Light blue (i could do a lot with a 'sky' blue and maybe paint clouds on the walls) or green are probably my top favorites right now. Yellow or teal could be ok too.

I don't personally like grey - it screams industrial look to me not bedroom. While I don't assign gender to color, ds would not like a purple room. It would be a girl room to him (he has 2 older sisters he likes pinks and purples but that stuff is typically his sisters hand me down stuff so to him it is girly stuff (that he has no issue playing with)). Tan could work - most of our house is tan - I usually like more color in a bedroom but it is neutral and does fit the bill.

Lots to think about - thanks for the ideas. We're still debating whether we really want to paint the room now or wait a year and see if they want their own rooms again by then and paint then.

monkeymama07 02-07-2013 10:14 AM

I'd leave It and get her some nice bright colored things maybe paint a shelf hot pink for her books or toys, spray paint picture frames in some bright colors and let her put art work in them or you could put some black and white photos in them.

Cutebabybutts 02-07-2013 10:29 AM

I would go with a grey too and add bursts of color for each on their side with accent pieces

RainandRedemption 02-07-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeymama07
I'd leave It and get her some nice bright colored things maybe paint a shelf hot pink for her books or toys, spray paint picture frames in some bright colors and let her put art work in them or you could put some black and white photos in them.

Id do this. Black will really make girly colors stand out nicely