Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Need help cleaning something extra gross! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489616)

Mommyto2B2G 02-07-2013 09:45 AM

Need help cleaning something extra gross!

We just moved into a home (renting) and the house was pretty dirty when we moved in. My in-laws picked it out for us because we were over 1k miles away and thought that for a 100.00 off the rent I'd love the clean the house myself. :banghead: I've been busting my butt trying to get this place in shape and now I'm at what I think is the most neglected part... the laundry room.

I'll take pics to show what I mean but today I am going to try to clean the sinks and the washer. I have this recipe from pinterest to clean the washer: http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/...r-washing.html but I don't know how to clean the sinks. They are bad and I really don't want to resort to chemical cleaners. Any tips on cleaning these? I want to be able to use them for soaking the really gross diapers when the time comes. They have this black dirt looking streak down the side and it seems like a stain. Water from the washers flows into these sinks to empty. I've never seen a washer do this before so I'm guessing it isn't hooked up properly and that may be the reason for the stains. I know most of it is rust as well. If I can't get these things clean looking how would I know they are clean enough to use for soaking dirty laundry? Would it be a good idea to? I'm completely lost so any help or experience about what to do would be appreciated!

Anyway here it is:

Ok, for some reason they aren't d/l ing onto here except for one so I'm hopping on my phone and adding the rest. :)

Mommyto2B2G 02-07-2013 09:47 AM

Here are the rest!

aemarques 02-07-2013 05:38 PM

Ive heard (and seen) amazing things about blue dawn and vinegar with baking soda. Vinegar in spray bottle with maybe 20 drops of the dawn, not to much or it'll suds like crazy and never rinse clean

I'd rinse the area well first then coat with a paste of baking soda and water, let sit for atleast 15 min then spray with the vinegar and blue dawn mix let it react and sit for ad long as you can. Its heavy duty and takes some time but it looks like it needs it.

edit: for rust and other stains peroxide and baking soda paste left to sit works amazing. I'd give both a test spot and see what works best

Post after pics :)

DottieHarley 02-07-2013 05:58 PM

I agree with PP, and definitely let it sit for a while. Have you seen the thing about coke cleaning a stained toilet? I wonder if that would work (might need a lot though lol)

debcita429 02-07-2013 07:34 PM

Re: Need help cleaning something extra gross!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms.Kaun (Post 16259738)
Water from the washers flows into these sinks to empty. I've never seen a washer do this before so I'm guessing it isn't hooked up properly and that may be the reason for the stains.

Growing up both of my washers were set up this way. It is perfectly normal. Just use rubber bands to attach an old pantyhose to the rubber hose so that you don't have too much clothes lint clogging up your sink drains. Fwiw, we didn't have that black mess, although the sinks were not exactly pretty either. Do you think the black mess is mildew? PP gave you an intriguing plan of attack that sounds good. Hydrogen peroxide and a scrub brush might be a good follow up if it is mildew.

jbug_4 02-08-2013 04:22 AM

Don't think its very green- don't really know, but barkeepers friend will remove those rust stains. We have to use it in our bathroom because of lots of rust in the water. Be prepared to remove the stains frequently, its not really a matter of being dirty- its strictly the water. Even with a softener those spots come back quickly. And when our salt is out in our softener they start to appear within a day. Which is why we just use bar keepers friend- we can scrub like normal and be done cleaning. I don't have the time or the energy not to mention we can't let something sit and soak in our bathroom for 24 hours. I have tried vinegar and baking soda- it did not work for us. Never tried peroxide. DO NOT use bleach, it will set the stain.

You can use lemon juice and salt- saturate with juice and top with salt. Let sit 24 hours. Be careful with scrubbing since that sink is probably plastic.

judyjudyjudy 02-08-2013 03:18 PM

Barkeepers Friend is really great for rust - it's also great to clean and polish stainless steel.

Tommys_Mommy 02-09-2013 08:05 PM

If you can find it anywhere locally you could try Bon Ami. I have been SUPER impressed with how well the powder works. I recently saw it at Target for $.89. Also, not the greenest but Mr Clean Magic Erasers work really well.