Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   To Booster or Not to Booster? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489666)

twogirlsmama 02-07-2013 11:58 AM

To Booster or Not to Booster?

DD1 will be 6 next month. She is 39lbs., 41ish inches. Right now, she's harnessed in a Nautilus. She still has a good bit of room in the harness. I am completely torn on boostering. She's probably ready, maturity-wise, but the thought of letting her ride in a booster makes me a nervous wreck (clearly she's our first...) What would you do? And if you say booster, which is THE BEST, hands down, and why....no pressure! :) (We have a 2008 Town and Country and a 2006 Mountaineer.) EEK--why does this make me so nervous!??!?!!!

sandrc 02-07-2013 12:03 PM

I'd keep her harnessed. She sounds like a tiny girl.

monica-m 02-07-2013 12:36 PM

Re: To Booster or Not to Booster?

She will be safe in a booster. We have no proof that a child her age is safer in a harness.

The Graco Turbo booster fits skinny kids well. You can start with short trips to make sure she's able to sit properly.

Anna0623 02-07-2013 12:42 PM

My dd is almost 5 and weighs over 42lbs. She still fits into her ff carseat. Although dh is in a hurry to move her into a high back booster she is not mature enough to sit properly in a booster seat. For her safety and my peace of mind she will be in her carseat until she outgrows the height which wont happen for another 2-3 years. If your dd weighs enough and is mature enough to sit properly then i think you should give it a try. We have attempted twice in the last year but dd un strap herself every time we tried. I had to pull over and re set up her car seat and make her sit in it.

jjordan 02-07-2013 01:27 PM

If she still has growing room in her harness, then there is no need to rush her into a booster. Except - a situation might come up where it would be convenient for her to use a booster, and if that is the case, you'd want to know ahead of time that she could behave while sitting in a booster. So it wouldn't be a bad idea to think about getting a booster and giving it a try on a few short trips to see how she does.

As far as best boosters go - as long as it properly positions the seatbelt on your daughter, we don't really have comparative safety ratings. That being said, personally *I* have a preference for LATCHable boosters with big sides. The Recaro Probooster looks super protective, and I think it is going to be LATCHable soon, if it's not already.

The Graco Turbobooster that a pp mentioned generally fits kids well (especially small kids), is light, readily available, and inexpensive, so that's a nice choice as well.

HTH!

twogirlsmama 02-07-2013 05:50 PM

Thanks! I wondered if there was an advantage to LATCH for a booster. I was looking at the Recaro or the Turbobooster with the surround thingy. I need to do more research. Great idea about booster training slowly--not sure why I felt like it had to be all or nothing??

armywife2002 02-07-2013 07:49 PM

I bought a cheap cosco booster to start booster training my ds shortly before he was 5, and honsetly its got an awesome fit for him, I was really surprised. I got it primarily for him to take to his dads after he told me he sometimes rides in the "big boy seat", aka, no carseat at all. He sits really well in it, and it came in handy when my car, and therefore his nauti was totalled. He even stayed in position well when he fell asleep on the trip back from houston to san antonio (and there was less head slump than in the nauti!)

but with that said, I chose to replace his nauti with another one. I did let him in on the decision, and he said he wanted another car seat, instead of a "fancy booster", lol. He is 5 yrs 4 months, 42lbs in December, and 41 inches last I remember. I feel better with him harnessed, but I'm glad to know he can ride safely in a booster if he needs to.

essential1892 02-07-2013 09:51 PM

My son is 5.5 years old and we just switched his Recaro from harnessed to booster mode last week. I was nervous the first car ride we took, but he has done awesome sitting still in his seat and I feel that he is mature enough to be in a booster (I am still not at the point where I trust him to buckle himself though- I always buckle and make sure the belt is correct).

Mommyto2B2G 02-07-2013 10:04 PM

My 6 almost 7 year old is 44 lbs and in a booster. I'd borrow a booster or buy one to hold onto for when she is ready and see how it fits her. The booster fit the belts on my daughter perfectly so that is what she is using. :)
We use the graco turbo booster.