Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Neighbor kid just attacked DS with a wooden hammer (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489671)

MamaWillow 02-07-2013 12:08 PM

Neighbor kid just attacked DS with a wooden hammer

I'm not sure what to say when the mom comes to pick her kids up in 30 minutes. I've posted before about this little girl being out of control. We didn't see then for a while due to holidays and illness so I thought I would give them another chance. This takes it to a whole new level. She pounded my DS with a wooden hammer all over his head, his nose, and feet. Not sure how he didn't get away but I walked in to him trying to shield himself and sobbing. He doesn't cry often from pain but he was really crying for a long time. It really hurt. What am I supposed to say to the mom? We just started a kid trade and she was going to have my kids two days and I have hers two days. Not sure I can handle this kid and I'm really pissed that she hurt my DS so badly.

MacMomma 02-07-2013 12:12 PM

Just be matter of fact. The mom needs to know her daughter is bullying, and take necessary measures to stop. I would not let me child be around that kind of behavior. What if she hits harder next time and breaks his nose or gives him a concussion?

Tris 02-07-2013 12:16 PM

Re: Neighbor kid just attacked DS with a wooden hammer

Hi, your daughter beat my son quite profusely with a hammer, so unfortunately until she learns to behave, we're going to have to take a break from any visits/ kid share.

mariamommy 02-07-2013 12:17 PM

Its just one of those not-so-easy but absolutely necessary things to tell mom about. If my kid was doing that, I'd definitely want to know!

Kiliki 02-07-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacMomma (Post 16260442)
Just be matter of fact. The mom needs to know her daughter is bullying, and take necessary measures to stop. I would not let me child be around that kind of behavior. What if she hits harder next time and breaks his nose or gives him a concussion?

Yea, this.

I would definitely let the mom know that you just can't follow through on the arrangement, and you aren't going to be able to watch her DD anymore.

Even though you are surely very upset (and maybe even angry - I would be) try not to let that show. The little girl's mom will probably feel absolutely awful and if you let on that you are upset/mad you will only make her feel worse - and at this point that won't help anything but will only make the entire thing feel more awkward for you both.

katengrace 02-07-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tris (Post 16260457)
Hi, your daughter beat my son quite profusely with a hammer, so unfortunately until she learns to behave, we're going to have to take a break from any visits/ kid share.

This.

R055ANA 02-07-2013 12:39 PM

Sorry that this happened to your DS. I would try not to make a big deal out of it in front of either your son or her DD.

Like PPs said, try not to make the mom feel bad about it either because I am sure she will already be hurt to hear about what happened.

This might be a great opportunity to teach your DS about how to protect himself and yell for help. Another idea is to keep the wooden hammer out of reach and to have the children playing in a room/area where you can see and/or hear them at all times (or almost all times).

Best wishes!

Joyful Tie Dyes 02-07-2013 12:47 PM

"We are going to have to hold off on the kid share for a while because your DD injured my DS by hitting him repeatedly with a hammer"

elizabeth.scalf 02-07-2013 01:02 PM

The mom will undoubtedly ask 'how did things go?/how was she?'

'well, we did have a little incident with a hammer. I didn't see how it started s so I don't know if they were playing, or if they were actually fighting, but she hit him around with the hammer a few times. I don't think she hurt him too bad, but he was ready shook up and scared. I just wanted to let you know so you can watch for that if it happens again.'

That's how is like to be told of my kids were trouble.

Mom2Connor 02-07-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf
The mom will undoubtedly ask 'how did things go?/how was she?'

'well, we did have a little incident with a hammer. I didn't see how it started s so I don't know if they were playing, or if they were actually fighting, but she hit him around with the hammer a few times. I don't think she hurt him too bad, but he was ready shook up and scared. I just wanted to let you know so you can watch for that if it happens again.'

That's how is like to be told of my kids were trouble.

I don't know, but to me that really minimizes it from OPs story....

I would just be honest. I wouldn't beat around the bush personally with this level of violence and I would not blame my child or share the blame, nor would I say he wasn't hurt when he was.