Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Pediatric pain management (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489772)

mekat 02-07-2013 04:13 PM

Pediatric pain management

I gave my 30lb 8 year old (stunted growth from chromosomal abnormalities) 4mls of of acetaminophen with Codeine (generic). After it kicked in he indicated his pain was a 6 on a 10 scale and was still very moody crying at the slightest little thing. Due to his distress I topped off the dose with an extra 2mls (GI said max dose was 6mls). After the extra kicked in his pain indicated on the scale was a 4 out of 10 still a little clingy but not hysterical like before. Is a 4 out of a 10 with maxed out medication okay or do I need to ask for something stronger when the GI office opens tomorrow?

Quick explanation of why he is in pain. - He is in chronic pain because the pediatric surgeon and GI are dragging their feet scheduling a corrective surgery. He has a fistula connecting his rectal stump and sigmoid colon as well as severe colitis all around the areas of the fisula opening on both ends.

luvsviola 02-07-2013 05:41 PM

In my book, 4 out of 10 maxed out is not ok. I'd call. Kiddo has a right to be pain free, and the doctors need to be responsive to that. They need to give you a plan that takes severe pain away. Hope you get some answers soon!

aries416 02-08-2013 05:39 AM

Re: Pediatric pain management

Poor kid! I would want him as comfortable as possible. I'd call in and see if he can get something more for the pain.

kaia.aline 02-08-2013 05:57 AM

Poor baby! I'd call for better pain management options :(

mekat 02-08-2013 10:13 PM

Thanks, calling them was definitely the right thing to do. Today he was having crying fits and it took two maximum doses of acetaminophen with Codeine to get through the afternoon and evening. They called in Rx of Lortab. I'm not sure how that compares strength wise to a acetaminophen with Codeine. He has dealt with gastric pain before and we have always had a Rx regimen for it but his pain management needs are starting to go to a whole new level and I am now in unfamiliar territory. I think I will also max out his daily Kristalose meds (gentle laxative, similar in function to Miralax). Hopefully making his fecal output more liquid will reduce irritation to the Colitis. I noticing the more firm the more pain he has in his lower bowels.

luvsviola 02-08-2013 10:32 PM

Poor little guy!

UnderTheStars 02-08-2013 11:35 PM

I'm glad you called, but I'm sorry your little guy is having to deal with that level of pain. :hugs: Is this new level of pain something that might push the doctors into more action?

Brayjjanna 02-10-2013 08:51 AM

Ive always wondered this except my 3.5 year old cant tell us. He's basically screamed most of his life. The first 2 years was 24/7. Now it's half the time. They say there is nothing else we can give him to help his pain or whatever is causing the discomfort. He arches and flails to the point you can't hold him. Sadly tynelol with codeine at his allowed full dose does nothing.

Hugs mama!

Shaylee 02-10-2013 03:37 PM

I am so sorry to hear about what you and your son are going through. I can't even imagine what is like to watch your child suffer in chronic pain. Prayers that your team of doctors resolve this soon or that you are able to find someone who can. Bless you for doing everything you can for your little man.:hugs:

mekat 02-12-2013 06:30 PM

Unfortunately, his GI medical issues may be coming to a head. His stoma is severely swollen and there are now black spots appearing (dead or dying tissue). I'm off to take him to the ER. I will respond more in depth when I know more.