Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   i need a simple menu...... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489831)

hisleading 02-07-2013 09:00 PM

i need a simple menu......

i waste so much money and time "menu planning" and i end up with alot of stuff we wont eat, we dont like or it goes bad...or something always happens....i think i would like to do a 7, 10 or 14 day rotation menu...something simple, frugal, nutritious.....ideas?

Melinda29 02-07-2013 09:25 PM

Re: i need a simple menu......

Mexican Monday (tacos, fajitas, enchiladas)
Italian Tuesday (spaghetti, lasagne, fettucine alfredo, tuna noodle casserole)
Breakfast for Dinner Wednesday (waffles, egg casserole, pancakes, breakfast burritos)
Americana Thursday (BLTs, grilled fish, hamburgers, grilled cheese with tomato soup, chicken pot pie)
Asian Fridays (stir fry, cashew chicken, mongolian beef, shrimp lo mein)
Soupy Saturdays

You could have like 4 meals in each category and just rotate thru them on a 4-week cycle.

I try to use one recipe with each of chicken, beef, pork, fish, and eggs each week. So I shoot for recipes that fulfill that. Virtually all our meals (except hamburgers) use meat as a compliment, not as a main course.

Almost any recipe can be made nutritious just by using whole ingredients, making things from scratch, whole grains, subtituting veggies for some things (chickpeas for tacos, spaghetti squash for spaghetti noodles, etc). We do almost all one-pot meals and also have a third of the food at each meal be a cold vegetable, and then there are veggies built in to the one-dish.

I plan for 6 dinners a week and we eat leftovers for lunch, filling in with sandwiches on occasion when they run out, and going out to eat one night a week.

tesslouise 02-08-2013 11:39 PM

We do pasta one night (normal for DD and me and one made from black beans for DH);
hot dogs one night, with sauteed onions, sauerkraut, and baked beans;
sausages one night (not back to back with hot dogs), with green beans and a second veggie;
dinner at church for DD and me on Wednesdays, and DH eats two frozen meals from TJ's;
lentil or bean soup or stew one night;
pasta e ***ioli without the pasta one night;
and whatever fun thing DH is craving on Saturdays, because that's his cheat day on his diet.

Marianna1988 02-09-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hisleading
i waste so much money and time "menu planning" and i end up with alot of stuff we wont eat, we dont like or it goes bad...or something always happens....i think i would like to do a 7, 10 or 14 day rotation menu...something simple, frugal, nutritious.....ideas?

I really like emeals. We use the paleo plan, so it's a pricey menu, but paleo is pricey in general. The other meal plans have much cheaper grocery lists. I like emeals because every week I get a meal plan with shopping list straight in my email. When I bought my subscription, I used a gift certificate coupon code for 50% off (and just used the gift for myself), so I paid like $29 for a year. They have 3 and 6 month subscriptions too. I save each weeks plan, so that way if there is a meal I don't like/want in a meal plan, I can easily substitute it from a meal we liked previously.

Marianna1988 02-09-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marianna1988

I really like emeals. We use the paleo plan, so it's a pricey menu, but paleo is pricey in general. The other meal plans have much cheaper grocery lists. I like emeals because every week I get a meal plan with shopping list straight in my email. When I bought my subscription, I used a gift certificate coupon code for 50% off (and just used the gift for myself), so I paid like $29 for a year. They have 3 and 6 month subscriptions too. I save each weeks plan, so that way if there is a meal I don't like/want in a meal plan, I can easily substitute it from a meal we liked previously.

Oh, and I have a link you can sign up with. Feel free to pm me, and I'll send it to you :)

mumtothem 02-09-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melinda29 (Post 16262568)
Mexican Monday (tacos, fajitas, enchiladas)
Italian Tuesday (spaghetti, lasagne, fettucine alfredo, tuna noodle casserole)
Breakfast for Dinner Wednesday (waffles, egg casserole, pancakes, breakfast burritos)
Americana Thursday (BLTs, grilled fish, hamburgers, grilled cheese with tomato soup, chicken pot pie)
Asian Fridays (stir fry, cashew chicken, mongolian beef, shrimp lo mein)
Soupy Saturdays

You could have like 4 meals in each category and just rotate thru them on a 4-week cycle.

I try to use one recipe with each of chicken, beef, pork, fish, and eggs each week. So I shoot for recipes that fulfill that. Virtually all our meals (except hamburgers) use meat as a compliment, not as a main course.

Almost any recipe can be made nutritious just by using whole ingredients, making things from scratch, whole grains, subtituting veggies for some things (chickpeas for tacos, spaghetti squash for spaghetti noodles, etc). We do almost all one-pot meals and also have a third of the food at each meal be a cold vegetable, and then there are veggies built in to the one-dish.

I plan for 6 dinners a week and we eat leftovers for lunch, filling in with sandwiches on occasion when they run out, and going out to eat one night a week.

Love this!I might steal this:)

ambieone 02-09-2013 08:11 AM

My kids are SUPER picky, so we do really simple dinners.

Spaghetti (I'll either make meatballs or pound out a chicken breast and sautee it for DH and I) with cucumber or salad

quasadillas (just cheese for the kids, w/ chicken for DH and I) also served with salad

chicken and rice

pork chops and rice

bisquit pizza (pillsbury flacky bisquits, flatten them and add your toppings)

hot dogs wrapped in crescent rolls and mac and cheese

I don't "meal plan" I just keep the ingredients for all our "usual" meals in the house. I shop every two weeks and pick up fruits/veggies and milk as needed.

thirdtimemomma 02-09-2013 08:29 AM

We did simple meals before we had to go gf...

Stews and bread
Rice casseroles
Bean bowls
Spaghetti and salad
Homemade pizza
Fish and fries or chicken
Roast and potatoes

And lunches were sandwiches and hm soup.

Bfast was oatmeal durning the school week and pancakes on Sat and muffins on Sunday.