Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In April (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Breach babies? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490006)

BiskMama 02-08-2013 12:36 PM

Breach babies?

Have any of you been told your babies are breach, and if they donít turn around by 36 weeks the most likely course of action is to do a C-section? My DR. did say I could do an external version if, and itís a big if, we meet sertant criteria if baby is still up side down by then.
Iím more worried because I was breach, and the EV didnít work on me, so wondering what the odds are that she could still be wrong side up by then? I DO NOT WANT A C-SECTION!
Any one else deeling with this kind of thing?

StrwbryShrtck 02-08-2013 01:30 PM

Re: Breach babies?

you need to find a doctor or midwife that will do a breech delivery, they are safe if the provider is trained. you don't have to do a CS just because the baby is breech! Also go to spinningbabies.com, and see a chiropractor who is trained in the Webster technique.

EmilytheStrange 02-08-2013 02:08 PM

I would not consent to a csection based on baby's position at 36 weeks.
There's still more than enough time for baby to turn on their own by 42 weeks.

But, if I was told my baby was still breech and there was concern, I'd certainly start the exercises on Spinning Babies or this website:
http://www.milescircuit.com/preparation.html

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this stress - hopefully the exercises help put baby in a more favorable position. but 36 weeks is certainly too early to schedule a csection based on position, alone.

mibarra 02-08-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrwbryShrtck (Post 16265486)
you need to find a doctor or midwife that will do a breech delivery, they are safe if the provider is trained. you don't have to do a CS just because the baby is breech! Also go to spinningbabies.com, and see a chiropractor who is trained in the Webster technique.

This. It does require special training to deal with possibility of head entrapment that could be extremely dangerous. A lot of breech babies come out just fine, but if something goes wrong, most docs haven't delivered enough to be able to help. I know my doc said she only saw 2 breech babies her entire residency. Statistically speaking they are pretty rare, and she said the ones that stayed breech that she saw stayed that way for a reason (short cord on one of them), so an external version might have harmed the baby.

That being said, you still have time. Is there another doc in your practice who is trained to handle breech birth?

My doc does schedule c-sections at that time as well. But when she says schedule at 36 weeks, she doesn't mean I will have a c-section AT 36 weeks. She means, at that time, she'll get me on the calendar for a c-section at 39-40 weeks so it's on the surgery schedule, but she also has moms come in the morning before their c-sections to check babies position and if they have turned she cancels.

momneedssupport 02-08-2013 03:20 PM

I asked my mw about breach birth and she said she's not suppose to, but does:)

EmilytheStrange 02-08-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mibarra (Post 16265891)
My doc does schedule c-sections at that time as well. But when she says schedule at 36 weeks, she doesn't mean I will have a c-section AT 36 weeks. She means, at that time, she'll get me on the calendar for a c-section at 39-40 weeks so it's on the surgery schedule, but she also has moms come in the morning before their c-sections to check babies position and if they have turned she cancels.

right.

and I understood that. So, I guess.. I would let them schedule away, but I wouldn't report for one that was unnecessary.

I have a friend who's baby turned at 40+ weeks. On it's own. Unless there's reason to believe there's fetal distress, I personally don't believe in rushing the baby. I have had a csection though, so I'm not putting my beliefs above the health of the baby. Obviously we would all hope to make the choices that were healthiest for baby.

mibarra 02-08-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange (Post 16266127)

right.

and I understood that. So, I guess.. I would let them schedule away, but I wouldn't report for one that was unnecessary.

I have a friend who's baby turned at 40+ weeks. On it's own. Unless there's reason to believe there's fetal distress, I personally don't believe in rushing the baby. I have had a csection though, so I'm not putting my beliefs above the health of the baby. Obviously we would all hope to make the choices that were healthiest for baby.

Totally makes sense. I'm still waiting to see if mine will turn too!! At only 32 weeks my doc keeps saying there's plenty of time and not to worry :)

canadianbakers 02-08-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrwbryShrtck (Post 16265486)

Definitely agree with spinningbabies and chiro with webster technique. Also, I've heard good things about acupuncture.
Unfortunately, it will/would be really difficult to find any OB that will handle a breech birth :yuck: They aren't trained at all for them, just "breech = c-sec". Which sucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange (Post 16265687)
I would not consent to a csection based on baby's position at 36 weeks.
There's still more than enough time for baby to turn on their own by 42 weeks.

Agree with the first statement - even if they're saying they'll book you for 39 or 40 weeks, I'd decline at only 36 weeks.

Not all babies have room to turn in there, though, it really depends on baby's size and mom's size. DS2 was breech, and stayed that way from 20-someodd weeks on (although we were told repeatedly by the MWs that he was head down... he definitely wasn't) by the time we did know for sure that he was breech (when I finally went to my OB to have him check things out because the MWs refused to let me in their office with my concerns) we were 39+ weeks... and baby was 23.5" long. At only 5' tall, I honestly didn't have the space in there for him to flip - he was wedged in really good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mibarra (Post 16266581)
At only 32 weeks my doc keeps saying there's plenty of time and not to worry :)

Oh definitely at this point, baby does! Like I said above, Isaac didn't, but he was really long (he was overdue, though the MWs wouldn't admit that either) and we didn't find out about his positioning until way late in the game. Had the MWs been honest and told us he was breech at 34-36 weeks, we would have started chiro and whatnot then - and likely would have had luck flipping him. We had tried chiro after finding out, and it was working, but he really was just too long to get flipped all the way over - but I could feel him trying so hard.

EmilytheStrange 02-08-2013 09:44 PM

Judging by what I'm feeling tonight, this baby is breech again. Hehe

mibarra 02-08-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianbakers (Post 16267422)

Definitely agree with spinningbabies and chiro with webster technique. Also, I've heard good things about acupuncture.
Unfortunately, it will/would be really difficult to find any OB that will handle a breech birth :yuck: They aren't trained at all for them, just "breech = c-sec". Which sucks.

Actually one of the 3 OBs in my docs practice does do breech births. Out of the 3 docs and 1 midwife in the practice he's the only one who will. I just don't like him very much, we don't "click", and it's not crunch time yet so I don't want to switch. I'm still constantly stunned I have such an easy time with this stuff where I live (vaginal breech, VBAC, etc) because in all other ways my state is totally backwards!! ;)