Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Do you limit food intake? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490536)

Fishie Kisses 02-10-2013 01:41 PM

Do you limit food intake?

My oldest (5) eats SO MUCH. 3-4 helpings at dinner. I make very healthy, well-rounded meals, but I still wonder if I should be limiting how much he eats. I certainly don't want him to be hungry. He has breakfast (usually 2 bowls of whole grain cereal...nothing sugary), a snack at school (actual item varies, but I trust her), a lunch that we pack (lunchable--that's his treat, apple or applesauce, fruit snacks, juice, a cracker item (teddy grahams, animal crackers)), then a snack at home (varies, but usually fruit) and dinner. I always use cauliflower or sweet potatoes instead of potatoes, limit pastas, etc. Is it "safe" to let him eat til he's full??

JennTheMomma 02-10-2013 01:45 PM

I don't limit food. My kids eat healthy and they eat a lot. We don't buy junk food so it's mostly fruit, veggies and real home made yogurt. They are both on par with weight and height for age so I'm not concerned.

monkeymama07 02-10-2013 01:45 PM

I would let him eat till he's full.
Maybe limit seconds on pasta or starchy things.

lizgrace07 02-10-2013 01:46 PM

Re: Do you limit food intake?

I would let him eat till he's full for sure, unless you have reason to believe he has a weight problem.

Fishie Kisses 02-10-2013 01:51 PM

He's very thin...I have to buy "slim" jeans for him. I just don't want that to change one day because I let him eat so much, even if it's healthy foods. But I cook all our dinners from scratch, so I guess I'm doing everything I can, and he's just a hungry boy lol

Christylkeller 02-10-2013 01:52 PM

I would let him eat until he is full. One thing I was noticing is the low amount of protein he is getting. Maybe up that along with some healthy fats like avocado and coconut oil to fill his belly up.

lizgrace07 02-10-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christylkeller (Post 16272564)
I would let him eat until he is full. One thing I was noticing is the low amount of protein he is getting. Maybe up that along with some healthy fats like avocado and coconut oil to fill his belly up.

Yeah, I'd up the fat and protein intake to help satisfy him.

Other than that he might just have a high metabolism and really need all that food. I wouldn't be concerned about letting him eat a lot. I'd be more concerned about my grocery bill when he's a teenager! :giggle2:

Numommy 02-10-2013 01:56 PM

I let mine eat until they are full. But I don't make them clean their plates.

Fishie Kisses 02-10-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christylkeller (Post 16272564)

he's allergic to coconut, peanuts, all tree nuts, soy, sesame, egg, corn and tomato...so protein outside of actual meats is incredibly difficult, but he does eat a ton at dinner

Fishie Kisses 02-10-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizgrace07 (Post 16272574)
Yeah, I'd up the fat and protein intake to help satisfy him.

Other than that he might just have a high metabolism and really need all that food. I wouldn't be concerned about letting him eat a lot. I'd be more concerned about my grocery bill when he's a teenager! :giggle2:

I'm terrified...I have 3 boys!!