Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Breast milk for pink eye? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490607)

Michelle_M 02-10-2013 06:30 PM

Breast milk for pink eye?

Has anyone here successfully treated Pink Eye with breast milk?

How many times a day did you use it, and for how long?

I noticed today that my 3yr old's eyes were really goopy. I cleaned them with a warm wash cloth. I kept looking at them, and a few hours later the whites of his eyes are all pink. *sigh*

I called the pharamacy and there is nothing over the counter that can be used for it (according to them) but I remember reading an article that said if Pink Eye is bacterial then it can be treated with breast milk. But if it's viral then the breast milk won't clear it up.

So, I just put a few drops in each eye (he screamed bloody murder of course).

Thoughts?

Thanks.
God bless!

cbridges 02-10-2013 06:51 PM

Re: Breast milk for pink eye?

It works. Used on my 2month old and it started to clear in about 2 days. Put drops in 4-5 x a day. Also I tested in my eyes before using and it did not sting.

Michelle_M 02-10-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbridges (Post 16273427)
It works. Used on my 2month old and it started to clear in about 2 days. Put drops in 4-5 x a day. Also I tested in my eyes before using and it did not sting.

Thanks!

God bless!

Fishie Kisses 02-10-2013 11:13 PM

I used breastmilk when my youngest had conjunctivitis...same idea. It cleared it up within a day!

7mom7 02-10-2013 11:17 PM

Yep, I think it cleared my son's eye up in a couple of days

PoshPants 02-10-2013 11:21 PM

worked for the kids and me! wonderful stuff to have around

Ellasundies 02-11-2013 03:10 AM

I've tried it several times for several different people and it hasn't worked yet. In fact in two of us the infection got very very bad. I would never rely on it without having backup antibiotics at home. Pink eye can get bad fast and I wouldn't want to rely solely on the BM, find it didn't work and then have to wait to get into a Dr or clinic.

scwendy 02-11-2013 08:33 AM

It worked for ME & my DD3. I used it 3 times (?) daily as I recall, and to be on the safe side I continued for about 5 days.

Easy peasy.

abunchoflemons 02-11-2013 08:53 AM

I hears used on punk write and a cancer patient.

lizgrace07 02-11-2013 09:48 AM

I have not tried that myself because I did not have any available last time we had pink eye go through the house. I'd try it though!

Another over the counter idea- grapefruit seed extract. In January we had a bacterial pink eye plague in this house. It was awful. I treated it with antibiotics as directed, I sanitized everything possible frequently, changed bedding daily, was fanatic about washing hands and not touching faces, etc. No matter, it just kept going back and forth from one person to another. It was so so frustrating! Someone suggested I try grapefruit seed extract. I was desperate so I tried it and it worked! We all took the recommended amount of drops dissolved in apple juice daily (even those w/o symptoms because I was trying to stop the spread) and the pink eye was gone from our house in a day or two. (As a side note, my 4yo also had an infected cavity at the time and the grapefruit seed extract totally got rid of that infection too which antibiotics had not helped. I converted the dentist to grapefruit seed extract. :) ) It might be worth a shot if the breastmilk does not work.