Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   4 year old not eating well after having a 24 hour stomach bug (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490634)

missy5598 02-10-2013 08:24 PM

4 year old not eating well after having a 24 hour stomach bug

Not sure what to do. My DS had a quick virus and now is refusing most food. Things he normally loves to eat he wants nothing to do with. He says all he wants to eat is cereal or waffles.

He's only had 2 other stomach issues where he vomitted for a day and recently he had strep throat which caused him to vomit once while in the ER. I'm not sure if maybe he's nervous to eat because he's afraid he's going to vomit or if his tummy still doesn't feel right.

He will randomly whine and complain that his tummy hurts but then he'll go back to playing no problem. He complained tonight that his tummy hurt when he was running.

I honestly don't know what to do. Does anyone else's kids have a hard time going back to normal eating after a stomach virus? I'm ready to call the doctor and take him in but he's such a nervous nelly that if I even talk about his tummy he automatically "plays it up" and thinks he's still sick.

What do I do? I really don't like feeling helpless when it comes to my kids.

Suzi 02-10-2013 08:28 PM

Re: 4 year old not eating well after having a 24 hour stomach bug

One of my boys and myself have a really hard time after we've been sick. I got some stuff I. The baby aisle that is mainly for colic and we both used it. It helped tremendously. I can't remember the name of it but ginger was the Main ingredient. It was in a blue box

tallanvor 02-10-2013 08:31 PM

Sometimes it just takes a while for the stomach to settle for food. I would try offering him mild/bland foods for a couple of days. If he'll drink tea, try some mint or chamomile tea. Traditional Medicinals makes a tea for kids called Tummy Comfort that is good.

MyKylie 02-10-2013 09:30 PM

He just needs a day or so to feel all the way better. I feel the same way after I am sick. I don't get my appetite back for a few days.

Mom2jandb 02-10-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyKylie
He just needs a day or so to feel all the way better. I feel the same way after I am sick. I don't get my appetite back for a few days.

This.

Mom2Connor 02-11-2013 05:02 AM

I let mine eat whatever stays down and sounds good after a stomach bug for a day or two.

bluedaisyma 02-11-2013 05:06 AM

It's taken my 2 yr old a loooonnnnggg time to recover and for a while, he would only eat fruit snacks and organic choc milk, but that was a huge step from not eating at all. He was first sick jan 20th and just in the past few days is starting to eat more normally

raisingcropsandbabies 02-11-2013 06:14 AM

All 6 of us (4 kids and 2 adults) got the flu (vomiting and diarrhea) a couple weeks ago... It has taken us 2 whole weeks to be able to eat whatever food we want and it feel fine. Before that, our stomachs got very unsettled even thinking about a meal though the flu was gone. I would try to eat even something like a grilled cheese and my stomach was so icky feeling (that was last week). To keep us alive we had toast, sometimes eggs, bananas, rice... that's about it.

Give him a couple weeks.

ajane 02-11-2013 06:22 AM

Totally normal. I know I don't feel like eating a ton right away. Your stomach has gone through a lot of trauma and it takes a couple of days for it to settle back to normal before it wants a lot of different types of foods. :)

erin_c_odonnell 02-11-2013 06:33 AM

That ^^. My 5 yr old just went through this. Took 2 weeks for her to get back into eating and she's already tiny. But eventually she did.