Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Thinking of using cloth pads, where do I start? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490677)

riseabovethis1 02-11-2013 02:14 AM

Thinking of using cloth pads, where do I start?

I hate regular pads, they stink so bad. So I'm thinking of using cloth. Where do I start? I'm so new to this.

omahonycm 02-11-2013 05:18 AM

Re: Thinking of using cloth pads, where do I start?

My first pads were GEMcloth, and I've never gone back. To me they are the thinnest and most comfortable, but Pink Lemonade is nice. GEMcloth has little starter sets, but I'd recommend 2 long/heavy pads 3-5 normal pads, and 3-5 liners. My period went from 6 days to 3 days and I washed them with my cloth diapers and that was enough for me. Of course, I did have to splurge and buy some pretty ones, but you'll do find with that.

crunchymamaNY 02-11-2013 05:34 AM

I actually started out with a tester pad that a mama was making and finding testers. My first pad was a night time one because I wanted to see how they held up at home before venturing out in public with them LOL! I loved it! Then, I started making my own. I mainly wore them at home, but then I ended up getting a reusable cup and used that, but I do really like cloth pads, and no smells, either!

debcita429 02-11-2013 11:55 AM

There are a number of active threads on this topic with pad recommendations. I also started with heavy night pads b/c (having not come upon this forum yet and working from a blind position) I doubted that cloth pads would work that well. As a result I bought way too many super absorbency pads--some of which I've managed to sell in FSOT and some of which are for sale or will be for sale there, btw.

Anyhow, my favorite all around topper is bamboo velour with no PUL and with a fleece backing. Aesthetically, I prefer when the bamboo velour is swirly versus a solid color. One longstanding brand that carries this is Go with the Flo. If you only want to get a couple of pads at a time, I think her shaped series is a good starting point. The added floppiness of the graduated absorbency levels within the pad (heavier in the center and thin at the edges) makes it an easier fit for a wider array of bodies.

When rounding out my collection, I wanted very much to buy more and more bamboo velour lushness. But I found myself repeatedly returning as well to Party in my Pants for their flannel topped pads. Party in my Pants is just about paper thin (thinner than my old ultra thin sposies yet works), so it's really nice knowing I have options for clothes where pads will show.

Although most of her cuts don't fit me (and are really pricey), I'm very fond of my XL Ultra from New Moon for sleep as well as my 10" elemental (pantyliner) from her. It's just so cushy and thirsty and perfectly crafted. I have another XL that is not "Ultra" that I haven't worn yet--haven't decided if I need to keep--and a XXL Ultra for sale in FSOT below that is simply much too big for me.

I do not like cotton tops except for very light flows. I'm not finding myself fond of minky either (I personally find it wet and cold, but I *do* recommend Pampered Mama's cuts if you find you like minky).

I've tried several other brands but have had some reservations about each. I think you will find that the desired topper and width and length and shape are all quite individual to your body and that there will (unless you are very lucky) be some trial and error involved. If you told us what size, style, and brand of sposie you presently use, that might help someone give you more pointed recommendations.

debcita429 02-11-2013 01:10 PM

oops

Leiiki 02-11-2013 01:27 PM

You should definitely make the switch. You won't regret it. I barely know I'm wearing pads, even in hot weather! I know some people are worried about washing them, but they just go in my normal wash with no problem - and I have even hand-washed them on vacation!

I love MotherMoonPads, especially her bamboo velour pads. I just stocked up on postpartum pads and some irresistible prints from her coop. I agree with PP that fleece-backed pads are best.

I didn't care for the all-hemp pads from WillowPads, but they do offer adjustable absorbency. They tended to turn over/shift when I moved.

riseabovethis1 02-11-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leiiki (Post 16276431)
You should definitely make the switch. You won't regret it. I barely know I'm wearing pads, even in hot weather! I know some people are worried about washing them, but they just go in my normal wash with no problem - and I have even hand-washed them on vacation!

I love MotherMoonPads, especially her bamboo velour pads. I just stocked up on postpartum pads and some irresistible prints from her coop. I agree with PP that fleece-backed pads are best.

I didn't care for the all-hemp pads from WillowPads, but they do offer adjustable absorbency. They tended to turn over/shift when I moved.

I think I will for sure give this a try! I have no problem with washing them since I've had to wash stains out of my underwear before.

WeeEssentials 02-17-2013 04:41 PM

Yes, definitely try them! I started out by buying pads from a few different cloth pad makers and trying them out. Some of them worked well for me, some of them didn't. It gave me a place to get started, though. :) (And then I decided to make my own, and well...my stash is predominantly Wee Essentials...:giggle:)

Bukawww 02-17-2013 04:45 PM

Do it! The lack of that awful smell is probably the best part!

I make mine with a full wing and prefer bamboo velour toppers. I would really recommend getting a variety. I cannot do tabs whatsoever and serging irritates me as well as looks a bit shaggy after just a few washes. They are super trim though.

jessicanashville 02-17-2013 04:52 PM

Warning! They are just as addictive as cloth diapers :) I have converted even more friends and relatives to mama cloth than cloth diapers! Once they try them they wonder why they ever used those gross stick-to-you phone book, bunch up expensive throw away pads. I love homestead emporium, mothermoon pads. I have made my own. I have used WAHM. They are all better than disposable :) I don't love cotton, or flannel. I prefer long heavy pr postpartum for overnight. And I love liners with organic tampons or diva cup for days. Have fun on your new adventure :)