Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Reading program for a 5 year old (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490708)

Tris 02-11-2013 09:11 AM

Reading program for a 5 year old

My daughter just turned 5(December) and I want to teach her to read. Unfortunately I'm a miserably impatient teacher and while I feel my daughter is smart, she just...frustrating. And frustrated, I'm sure. So before I teach her to hate learning because I suck so bad at it, are there any videos I can have her watch or something?? She'll be nearly 6 by the time she starts kindergarden.

blondeviolin 02-11-2013 09:15 AM

Re: Reading program for a 5 year old

If you want something spelled out for you and fun, I'd take a look at All About Reading. It is expensive, but has had glowing recommendations from nearly everyone who has done it.

7mom7 02-11-2013 09:31 AM

Hooked on Phonics (my fav) or Progressive Phonics (free)

Tris 02-11-2013 09:46 AM

Progressive phonics was frustrating, actually. I'm just not sure how to go about it I guess. And she knows all the letters, but she freezes up, and either doesn't talk, or starts telling stories, or says a different sound.

tallanvor 02-11-2013 09:55 AM

Do you know her learning style? That makes a huge difference in what program will probably work best.

tallanvor 02-11-2013 09:55 AM

Do you know her learning style? That makes a huge difference in what program will probably work best.

HeatherlovesCDs 02-11-2013 10:01 AM

My twins just turned 5 in Dec. I just signed them up for Reading Eggs at readingeggs.com. It is an online program. Today is our first day, but I think it looks super fun and my daughter really enjoyed it today. My son hasn't tried it yet, but he will later. He was watching over her shoulder and very interested. My 7 year old wants to do it too.

You can get a 14 day free trial, which is what we are doing. Plus you can google free codes and get about 2 more months free. :)

Mine don't technically start K till Fall of next year, when they will be almost 6. My oldest has an Oct b-day, so he was really about to turn 6 when he started K. In fact, my last baby is also an Oct baby and my one prayer regarding the day he was born was that it would be into Oct and not Sept because of the school cut off age. We homeschool, so it doesn't matter much, but in our state, it still matters. I'm happy to have "older" K'ers as I think they are more ready from a maturity standpoint which I actually think is more important. :thumbsup:

Tris 02-11-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallanvor (Post 16275036)

Hmmm. I'm not sure?

Thanks heather, I'll definitely try that reading eggs! Do you get a referral credit or anything?

Kiliki 02-11-2013 10:16 AM

you can also check out starfall.com

I really love Starfall for us.

It introduces letters and letter sounds first, then goes to simple sounding out and on to more progressive reading.

It's very interactive.

We tried the reading eggs. Maybe my kids are just dense or something, but they totally did not get the "map" idea of reading eggs. lol

tibeca 02-11-2013 10:46 AM

DD1 has recently tried "click n read phonics". It was the "push" she needed to stop fighting me about whether she could read or not. It meant I wasn't teaching her, which was the step she needed.