Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Moms of Many or Multiples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Your thoughts on our chances... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490711)

nbert921 02-11-2013 09:25 AM

Your thoughts on our chances...

I'm just taking a guess that I can ask this questioning this forum.
Dh and I have 2 girls right now. I'd like to try for a third, but dh feels strongly that he wants 2-3 kids but not 4. You see, my mom is a fraternal twin and I am a fraternal twin so he really is afraid of wanting 3 but having 4. Does any one know what our chances of having twins might be? I'm currently 27 if that info is needed. Thanks!

missemily 02-11-2013 10:44 AM

Re: Your thoughts on our chances...

I'm not sure, but I have 2nd cousins who are twins. Now one had one baby then a set of twins. Her sister had 2 sets of twins 3 years apart. If you had 2 single pregnancies there is a chance that you would have twins but you would never know. My cousin with the 2 sets was told that it was highly probable she would have another multiple birth, so she stopped there. I just wanted to let you know that neither of them used any sort of 'help'. Conception was purely natural.

thekuligs 02-11-2013 11:58 AM

I have fraternal twins, and I have seen all sorts of percentages thrown out there but the science behind them is shady at best. I don't think there is a number you can assign to your odds. It depends on if you release more than one egg at a time and if you do not have the gene that makes you do that your odds are slim--not impossible because lots of women have events that make them release more than one egg even if they don't normally do so.

HeatherlovesCDs 02-11-2013 12:22 PM

You chances are higher than average, but still aren't that high. The chances of having twins without help (fertility treatment, like me) aren't really *that* high even when they are higher than average, if you know what I mean. I mean, clearly, people have spontaneous twins all the time with no help. It does happen, but I definitely would not base how many children you are going to have on the possibility of twins.

Plus, twins are awesome. If you were surprise with them, it would scare you at first, but in the end you would be so blessed and thankful. I love twins and would love a 3rd set. :D

nbert921 02-11-2013 05:26 PM

Thanks everyone. We decided to wait until the end of summer and then decide. We'll see!

I_run_with_scissors 02-11-2013 05:31 PM

I would say your chances are higher than average, as im sure you know fraternal twins do have to do with genetics on the mothers side. Good luck with your decision mama

mrsgrantis 02-17-2013 08:06 PM

My husband was the same as yours wanted 2 but could be talked into 3 - and Surprise! Twins! (No family history and didn't find out till 21 weeks)
Intially it was scary but honestly only 8weeks in and we both wouldn't have it any other way - it has brought great balance to our family!

doodah 02-18-2013 10:13 PM

you should always be prepared when you TTC knowing that you have to accept and be committed to whatever comes your way regarding gender, health, multiples, etc, etc. if you arent ready to make that commitment, you're just not ready. hopefully this summer will bring clarity! it is generally thought that fraternal is a hereditary thing while identical twins are more of a spontaneous thing.

nbert921 02-19-2013 06:02 AM

i think for sure i'm prepared but dh is questioning it. ultimately it will have to be a joint decision that we both want it. either way, i feel truely blessed with my two girls right now. i just was looking here to see if anyone could give me some insight to share with dh. i'm pretty certain he is most concerned about financially caring for 4 children.

lecialefty 02-19-2013 10:19 AM

Your chance for fraternal twins increase with age, # of pregnancies, and family history.

I'm a fraternal twin. Twins seem to have skipped my mom's generation and so far I or any of my siblings have twins so who knows :)