Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   PLing question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490726)

s@hmommy 02-11-2013 08:48 AM

PLing question

My dd more or less potty trained herself, she didn't like to be wet or dirty so she was quick to tell me and was in underwear full time a few months before she turned 2. DS is 27 months and just doesn't care! I think he would sit in a poopy diaper all day and not care, I have to make it a point to check his diapers often because he isn't bothered my wet/dirty. I know we still have plenty of time, but I would like him to at least be pooping in the potty by the time our new lo arrives in August. Should I even bother at this point though since he is obviously not interested? Has anyone had success with a child with this mindset or do I just need to try to wait it out?

Mom2jandb 02-11-2013 09:00 AM

Definitely go for it mama :). When you know he has to go, take off his diaper and set him on the potty or toilet. And talk about it a LOT.

I don't have experience with one like your DS, but my ODD was just like yours.

I know some will disagree, but I think it is never too early. Feel free to visit the EC forum.

abunchoflemons 02-11-2013 09:11 AM

Re: PLing question

try day without pants.. popcorn in potty tfor target practice. i might try traninng my 21 & boy week old together in a few..... my girl will say change or diaper sign but it depends.....

cheezpoofs 02-11-2013 01:26 PM

You got spoiled by your first. I wouldn't personally push him. He's still young yet and it does help to have the interest in using the toilet and desire to keep dry and clean when you start training. My son is an example of success with a kid who WAS pushed into potty training without really wanting to get into it, but he was almost four at the time we started. We usually have to use heavier-handed methods with him than most, though, so it's not recommended as a sweeping generalization for the majority of other kids out there.

We used naked potty training and it took us from about mid-October until late January for him to be really good with it.

m0mof6 02-11-2013 01:58 PM

Child interest is the most help. Maybe talk it up to try to increase interest. My oldest would NOT until his dr. told him he had to at his 4 yr visit. Then it still took another 9 months to be 100% day trained. My 2nd and 3rd were 3 and some. My 4th and 6th were talked to about going potty (how much a big kid it made them) and I followed their lead. #4 was trained by 2 yr 9mo. #6 is only 18 months but goes at least 3-4x a day. I skipped #5 cause he was different. He's my child with apraxia of speech and doesn't talk well even now but was able to let me know he wanted to go potty at 12 months. He was mostly trained by 18 months with developmental set backs here and there (aka accidents).

EmilytheStrange 02-11-2013 02:26 PM

My daughter is 28 months and not ready. We have tried 2 different times and if I wasn't about to have another baby, I would be trying again.

so, please do feel free to try. Give it the 3 days or week or whatever. If he just isn't ready, then put him back in diapers and try again later.

My daughter absolutely loves the potty. Loves sitting on it, loves talking about it, loves reading about it, loves watching her potty video and singing the potty song. She will tell me when she poops (most of the time). But, when we take off the diapers, she holds it and holds it and holds it and refuses to actually put anything in the potty (still loves to sit on it!) and then just makes massive messes wherever she happens to be standing at the time.

no harm in trying. As long as you are okay with going back to diapers if he's truly not ready.

I used to be of the opinion that all children would respond to the whole 'diapers are gone!' concept, but now that I have a child who does not and actually gets increasingly stubborn about not releasing into the potty, I think some kids are genuinely ready later.

Mags462 02-11-2013 07:28 PM

I have heard - although i only have boys so no personal experience - that boys potty train later. I was told by my ped and MANY friends that 3yr is more "typical" for boys to start showing interest and really getting it....

In my house i probably wouldn't even bother with it - DS1 didn't really potty train successfully until past 3. DS2 was younger about 2yr 9mo.... DS3 was the youngest to initially get it 2yr 3mo BUT he regressed and i put him back in diapers and he finally decided to fully use the toilet again around 2yr 10mo. So IDK..... ftr NONE of my sons have ever minded being wet. Ever. Dirty (eg poopy) they really disliked and all 3 were consistently pooping in the toilet long before they were consistently peeing in it..... but in general having soiled clothes or diapers doesn't matter.

s@hmommy 02-12-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mags462 (Post 16277930)
I have heard - although i only have boys so no personal experience - that boys potty train later. I was told by my ped and MANY friends that 3yr is more "typical" for boys to start showing interest and really getting it....

In my house i probably wouldn't even bother with it - DS1 didn't really potty train successfully until past 3. DS2 was younger about 2yr 9mo.... DS3 was the youngest to initially get it 2yr 3mo BUT he regressed and i put him back in diapers and he finally decided to fully use the toilet again around 2yr 10mo. So IDK..... ftr NONE of my sons have ever minded being wet. Ever. Dirty (eg poopy) they really disliked and all 3 were consistently pooping in the toilet long before they were consistently peeing in it..... but in general having soiled clothes or diapers doesn't matter.

DD regressed a little when I had ds, so I am a little concerned thats what he will do as well. My mom had 2 boys and 2 girls and she also said the boys learned a lot later. I may just work on pooping in the potty for now. He is pretty obvious when he needs to, I just need to convince him to do it on the toilet. My preggo belly is not dealing well with the poop!

SaraElise 02-12-2013 11:10 AM

No amount of "training" will make a child want to take responsibility and use the potty when they have to go. Both of my boys knew how at 2, could take off their clothes, could tell me when they had to go, and hold it until they got there, but they just didn't care. Nothing I did could make them care, they had to decide on their own finally that they were ready. This happened 100% of the time just after 3.

I'm not even bothering trying to train my daughter, she just turned 2 a couple of weeks ago, there is a potty in our dining room (where I usually am) that she can easily get to herself. She decides to use it about once a day with no prompting from me, she just fights back if I try to encourage her to go, so I'm letting her do it.

People may disagree, but I was sick of the battles with my strong willed kids trying to convince them or bribe them to use the bathroom. When they were old enough that they wanted to, they just did it in a day and never had an accident again. They were wearing underwear and cleaning up their own accidents (with help from me when they left the room to change) for months before that, but it was in their hands to decide to do it.

Sarawithouth 02-13-2013 06:59 PM

My dd (21 months) didn't care about being dry or clean until I put her in trainers. She doesn't mind a wet diaper, but she does not like wet panties!