Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   frozen milk and fresh milk??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490751)

Nerissa 02-11-2013 09:44 AM

frozen milk and fresh milk???

I have a pretty good size freezer stash. I realized that DD is 4.5 months and so far I have not needed to dip into it. YAY!!!!!!! I am still pumping more than she needs while at work.

However, I do have milk from late september/early October in the freezer. It has been stored in a deep freez. I have been thinking about using some of that and replaceing it with fresh.

Should I mix 1/2 frozen with 1/2 fresh or just frozen for a couple days each week and put what I pump directly in the freezer. I would be putting in more than I will be pulling out.

She takes 10 or 11 ounces while I am at work and I pump 14-15 oz a day.

Connor 02-11-2013 10:05 AM

Sure, use some of the older milk, no need to mix it.

foundrychick 02-11-2013 01:01 PM

Re: frozen milk and fresh milk???

My friend had extra lipase or something in her milk, so is make sure you don't need to flash boil it before putting in freezer for so long?? I'd research that...my son could drink her milk since I didn't pump enough and he was 10 months and HUNGry at te time (I couldn't pump enough for him versus how much he could pump outta me at that point) but her daughter got pukey from the frozen supply and she ha to use fresh...

Nerissa 02-11-2013 01:02 PM

the milk is fine. She has already had some frozen at daycare.

I was just wondering if I should start rotating.

foundrychick 02-11-2013 01:03 PM

I would just pull it out and use the frozen. I found it was great on a hot day, too...Bebe liked the cold milk...

bcb1961 02-11-2013 02:20 PM

I'd suggest one bottle per day of frozen milk, just for a short period of time. Milk will keep a long time in a deep freeze so you don't need to rotate out too frequently.

You want to make sure the frozen milk is given as the first bottle of the day. Because previously frozen milk isn't good as long as fresh. Don't mix the two for the same reason.

That is great that you are able to pump so much!

cpamamma 02-11-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcb1961
I'd suggest one bottle per day of frozen milk, just for a short period of time. Milk will keep a long time in a deep freeze so you don't need to rotate out too frequently.

You want to make sure the frozen milk is given as the first bottle of the day. Because previously frozen milk isn't good as long as fresh. Don't mix the two for the same reason.

That is great that you are able to pump so much!

Yes my understanding is you're not supposed to mix frozen and fresh.

lyia81 02-12-2013 10:31 AM

On rare occasions, I mix fresh and frozen. If we're on the go, need to feed quickly or if someone else is caring for DD, I'll feed her frozen. Most always I try to replace a fresh when I use a frozen.

birdinhand 02-12-2013 10:40 AM

Fresh milk can be stored in the fridge for 8 days, so it isn't always necessary to freeze it, depending on when you need it.

Previously frozen milk can be stored for 24 hours in the fridge.

Fresh milk can be added to previously frozen milk, as long as the frozen milk remains the larger part and you refrigerate the fresh milk before adding it (if you want to put it back in the freezer).

I would start using the older milk and keep storing the fresh milk.

Nerissa 02-12-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdinhand (Post 16280004)
Fresh milk can be stored in the fridge for 8 days, so it isn't always necessary to freeze it, depending on when you need it. Previously frozen milk can be stored for 24 hours in the fridge.

Fresh milk can be added to previously frozen milk, as long as the frozen milk remains the larger part and you refrigerate the fresh milk before adding it (if you want to put it back in the freezer).

I would start using the older milk and keep storing the fresh milk.

Yes I know but I have to freeze some every week right now. I pump an extra 3 to 4oz each day during the week and I pump a 6oz bottle worth on Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks everyone--

I think I will just put the extra from Thursday and everything I pump on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday right into the freezer and pull out frozen for Monday's bottles. That way I am still putting in more than I am taking out.